What is going on with the armour 3d modelling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
This thread is 50% critical and 50% honest feedback.

Throughout Bannerlord's development process we have seen different types of assets; some with more quality, others with certainly less. In terms of armor (the topic I'm going to talk about here) there are different levels. Taleworlds has managed to create everything from beautiful models to the most absurd nonsense. I blame it (or want to think it was) on the fact that it was modelled by intern people who were still in formation; models such as "highland cloth", "fur armor" or my archenemy "highland warlord armor" which the whole set appears to me in my worst nightmares.

On a more serious note, I am concerned about the baking of the last armor assets. It's well known that Taleworlds has been committed to reviewing and renewing the panoply of the different factions. We started with a revision of the MP section and after the release we are receiving new models; first with Sturgia (betting on Slavic nature) and now with Battania (ancient Celt).

Various 3d models of helmets have been introduced for Sturgia and various models of shields for Sturgia and Battania. All of them interesting and with finishes at the level of a game like Bannerlord.

m8KmE.jpg

However, something is changing with the armour. Recently, two armour for Battania have been published, which are far from what a professional studio like Taleworlds should be required to produce. I will say it openly, the new models for battania on a conceptual level are magnificent; 3d modelling is very unwise.

Maybe some of you think, meh he' s exaggerating... this is something very secondary.Well could be, but I found weird the difference in quality among the first models.

The last two Battanian armours were the last drop that made me raise the alarm. This is my third comment giving feedback about it. I do it in this way, so stridently as a warning call. If these last two armours are going to be the standard for future deliveries, I already predict that the result will not be up to scratch. This standard is not acceptable either for SP or for the eventual incorporation into the system of predefined classes and their skins.

cQ2XZ.jpg

I have not yet had a chance to test the changes in the MP; however people within my circle of trust are satisfied. It remains to be polished but it is a big step forward.

What little I have tried on the SP.
I like the change made to match the proportions of the avatars on the campaign map. I like the incorporation of the roads (they could be a little more visible or could be paved).
I like the relocation of a number of settlements; now interesting bottlenecks may have formed. Pending relocation of Sargoth definitely right?

I've been playing around a bit with the formations and I can sense a certain improvement (I have to try more).

In general, very good work, Taleworlds. This is a good patch.

---
The bad:

This new model of armor is terribly bad.:

37evZ.jpg

A totally flat modeling, without research process and without applied passion; it seems done in an afternoon.
Here I leave you feedback in the form of an illustrative image:

DgnH7.jpg

(-MArdA TaleWorlds- I'm tagging you so you can please get this to the right person; I know you will)
In the last patch, the "invisible" model of Battanian armor has been included along with a model of shoulder pads. Like the first model in this second one, the inconsistencies return.
The concept behind the model is good, the 3d execution is too amateur for a game like Bannerlord.

Here is a sample that complements the feedback:

OL6ji.jpg

These 2 models are far from acceptable quality. And I don't know if it's because of lack of knowledge or laziness/pride of a job well done.I wonder how something like this has gotten around the sieve that an art director should constantly supervise. Please consider reviewing such a mess.

-MArdA TaleWorlds- please again, send this to the right person

I don't understand how this has got around the sieve of an art director
Please consider this suggestion

Ok so I am not a huge artsy guy or into 3d modelling or that kablam.
I am just your average player.

I think it looks fine? Tbh I never noticed anything wrong with the armors, except for some obvious clipping of capes and equipments on back in battle.

Ok so I am not a huge artsy guy or into 3d modelling or that kablam.
I am just your average player.

I think it looks fine? Tbh I never noticed anything wrong with the armors, except for some obvious clipping of capes and equipments on back in battle.

An this totally respectable, I suppose that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I really like the textures of the new models, some of the older armor textures seem a little bit low in resolution. For example the Brass Lamellar in the Northern or Kuzhait variants looks dull compared to the new Sturgian lamellar armors, as do the Northern Leather Lamellar armor and the brass scale vest.

I would like to see that the older armors get a revision.

This is a discussion thread too; but I wonder if you guys have read or just scrolled down looking quick at the pictures? ?

I've read your criticism and I agree that some part look a little bit flat, but you really have to look for it :wink: IMHO I would settle for nice textures, very detailed 3D models are nice, but you will see the texture first.

Had all armour been as flat as these new ones it would not have been so jarring, but having some armour have thiccness and some being flat hurts. That lower mail edge is less detailed than warband mail armours...

I agree with all the suggestions in the images, and i will repeat i too think the new armors lack some volume (as well as a straight tartan pattern, rather than diagonal), similar problem as we have with the new Sturgian helmets that are too narrow and the chainmail on them, on the face and neck guard is also visibly thinner.

I am really hyped about the final celtification of Battania (hopefully my future favourite faction), but i must admit that i think these armors need some more loving, they are almost there...

nice to see someone holding standards in 3d modeling, do you guys know if there is an easy way of viewing these models or do I have do get them in singleplayer shops?

I appreciate having some more Battanian armour pieces, but I agree that they're lacking. I like all the suggestions you've made, and I can only hope TW listens. That, or hopefully the mod tools can fix things...

nice to see someone holding standards in 3d modeling, do you guys know if there is an easy way of viewing these models or do I have do get them in singleplayer shops?
Use the developer console to get them. As soon as you open the inventory, you get the whole library.

It's not really on topic but what botheres me with a lot ot the equipment are the values. You take a look at a helmet and see it has a mail coif and a face guard but for some reason it has worse values than other similiar helmets that do not.

From Worst to best
x0YOM.jpg
KCs0c.jpg

Price1525
Weight1.5
Tier3
Armor20

qmnQ4.jpg
Zxeb0.jpg

Price1865
Weight1.8
Tier4
Armor22

q8uI1.jpg
6sE7S.jpg

Price2826
Weight1.4
Tier4
Armor24

For me it should be the other way around with the Northern Goggled helmet being the best.

It's not really on topic but what botheres me with a lot ot the equipment are the values. You take a look at a helmet and see it has a mail coif and a face guard but for some reason it has worse values than other similiar helmets that do not.

From Worst to best
x0YOM.jpg
KCs0c.jpg

Price1525
Weight1.5
Tier3
Armor20

qmnQ4.jpg
Zxeb0.jpg

Price1865
Weight1.8
Tier4
Armor22

q8uI1.jpg
6sE7S.jpg

Price2826
Weight1.4
Tier4
Armor24

For me it should be the other way around with the Northern Goggled helmet being the best.

This, but I also think that some helmets should have a lot more armor than they have now, for example, and I don't know if it's just my luck, but the vlandians helms seem to jump from 27 armor to 40+ and I never have seen a 30-40 being sold on the shops

Bringing this back to topic, how do you feel about the rest of Battania's stuff? In particular, have you seen their Kilt over Plated Leather? I like the idea of it, but the 'plated leather' part of the armour looks more like fabric than any sort of coat of plates thing.

Also, what sort of Battanian things would you like to see more of in the future?

Nobody from arts department posts on the forums, so we will never find out.

For the record, @Terco_Viejo I agree with you entirely, and I think it is great that you are sharing these detailed images. Hopefully TW will take your advice and improve these armors.

@Ikea Knight

I do not have any information about this, however I have the impression that sooner or later both values and prices will be adjusted.

@HalfMetalJacket

Certainly that was one of the many old models revised. I can't tell you at what exact time but I believe that during the open beta period the tartan was added and the shoulder part was modified.
There is another model... Iirc it's called "desert lamellar" (I'm not sure) that was modified by adding a chain mail skirt, making it a more attractive model (imo).
The legionary's helmet, if you remember before, had jewels in it. Now we have two models, one with jewels (lordy) and one without (regular).

They are those little details...

@Kipsta

Well that's not entirely true. Despite this, M.Arda and recently elysebluemoon are always in the shade, trying to ensure that our suggestions and various problems of different kinds are properly communicated.

@JuanNieve
Well, technically with different assets you can get something very similar.

@NLCRich & @stevehoos

We will have our fingers crossed.

I fail to see the lack of quality. TW came up with different design choices and deviated a bit towards a more fantasy approach, that doesn't mean the armours are badly looking or the 3D modelling is low quality...

I fail to see the lack of quality. TW came up with different design choices and deviated a bit towards a more fantasy approach, that doesn't mean the armours are badly looking or the 3D modelling is low quality...

The models have no weight to them, they look like flat like a tee shirt. It has nothing to do with fantasy, it's just bad design.

Back
Top Bottom