What if Bannerlord pulled off a Fortnite?

Users who are viewing this thread

menuisier100

For those whom are not familiar with Fortnite, it used to be a game that wasn't a battle royal but a base building pve in it's early access. They have devolopped a mock up battle royal that exploded into popularity so much they dropped the all working progress into any other projects (RIP UT4).

I have purchased bannerlord a year ago with zero prior experience to the series. I like the premise enough to throw in 70 canuck bucks at something I never heard about before. Now bannerlord is still a good idea to me but the execution isn't there. I have never bothered to complete a campaign past ~15 hours of play time it just become so stale and boring.

Multiplayer. BANNERLORD MULTIPLAYER. Oh wow. What happened here? The game is about a sandbox medieval warfare but then it become some molasse 3rd person team deathmatch? Imagine playing Starcraft campaign but when you play multiplayer it become a first person shooter for whatever the **** reason? Talesworld you spent so much ressources into creating a beautiful dynamique sandbox world and none of it is used for MP?

Seeing Bannerlord Online mod being multiple time more popular and played then your current multiplayer despite being very rough and barebone speaks volume about what the players of the genre was originally interested into.

The ball is in your camp Talesworld.

Seeing Bannerlord Online mod being multiple time more popular and played then your current multiplayer despite being very rough and barebone speaks volume about what the players of the genre was originally interested into
No...that is not what most followers of the franchise want.

Most want a good SP game like we had in warband but expanded on with more features.
I did want that as well but a year as passed and I'm over the fact the studio isn't interested into putting work on it anymore.

Maybe they could allow(for $$$) the engine to be used by another company (as with blood & Gold and gloria sindica)who will make a different type of game with it and become popular like fortnight. Hey they could call it Fort-Knights.

Of course I'd rather another company just make better single player long-term strategy RPG with good combat and character building.

I don't like MMO or PVP only games. PVP and co-op is fine if it's attached to a solid SP game, but otherwise it's not interesting to me. If I want to play against a person I'd rather play mtg or chess.

Epic Games: Goes after cheat creators.
Taleworlds: Doesn't even know/care that you can enable auto-block in Multiplayer. Enables full team damage without creating fundamental systems in place to prevent its' abuse for one and a half years.

Yeah.. Good luck pulling a Fortnite with this company. Old fans made it clear that there was a huge demand for online campaign, Taleworlds argued that it will be tough/impossible (something along these lines) and the people who made Bannerlord Online just went out there and did it. I don't know if they will reach a point where it is good enough to fully satisfy the dream of online campaign but from the looks of it, they are getting there. TW doesn't have the awareness and the capable manpower/management to "pull off a Fortnite". The Mount and Blade concept certainly has the potential but I think it'll be someone else who will pull it off.

A Co-op campaign has been the most requested feature since before Warband released (there's currently a mod in development for this not related to Bannerlord online btw). But TW said countless times they couldn't make it work in a fun way, however seeing how it takes them months to do keep battles (something Armagan did 10 years ago) I'd say they just didn't bother trying.

Maybe they could allow(for $$$) the engine to be used by another company (as with blood & Gold and gloria sindica)who will make a different type of game with it and become popular like fortnight. Hey they could call it Fort-Knights.
I took a couple of minutes just to focus on loving that pun :smile:
Of course I'd rather another company just make better single player long-term strategy RPG with good combat and character building.
Imagine CK, but with a combat engine similar to BL. The former sucks at combat, the latter sucks at pretty much everything else (except economy.) But imagine if these studios came together to make a game that is both CK and BL... It would be so awesome that my brain hurts thinking about it.

Imagine CK, but with a combat engine similar to BL. The former sucks at combat, the latter sucks at pretty much everything else (except economy.) But imagine if these studios came together to make a game that is both CK and BL... It would be so awesome that my brain hurts thinking about it.

Paradox was previously the publisher of TW, so in an alternative timeline perhaps this happened :wink: (Of course still unlikely they would combine those 2 games)

I'd prefer a Total War - Bannerlord hybrid, there's too much faffing about in CK.

The "medieval combat multiplayer" niche is largely filled by For Honor/Mordhau/Chivalry. I dunno what market share TW could possibly grab by going full bore into the MP.
I'd prefer a Total War - Bannerlord hybrid, there's too much faffing about in CK.
completely agree. As cool as that mod is from a technical achievement standpoint and as much as i love CK3, CK3 and Bannerlord go together like water and oil. Total War would be a much better fit

Epic Games: Goes after cheat creators.
Taleworlds: Doesn't even know/care that you can enable auto-block in Multiplayer. Enables full team damage without creating fundamental systems in place to prevent its' abuse for one and a half years.

Yeah.. Good luck pulling a Fortnite with this company. Old fans made it clear that there was a huge demand for online campaign, Taleworlds argued that it will be tough/impossible (something along these lines) and the people who made Bannerlord Online just went out there and did it. I don't know if they will reach a point where it is good enough to fully satisfy the dream of online campaign but from the looks of it, they are getting there. TW doesn't have the awareness and the capable manpower/management to "pull off a Fortnite". The Mount and Blade concept certainly has the potential but I think it'll be someone else who will pull it off.

Check out this: https://github.com/Bannerlord-Coop-Team/BannerlordCoop/projects

They are making the whole Bannerlord singleplayer experience into a coop experience. It's totally doable. I do however remember someone from Taleworlds say that Mount&Blade coop isn't fun and worth investing into (Wich was totally wrong ofcourse) But I cant remember them saying it would be to hard or difficult to implement.

what made Warband a large MP game was there DLC Napoleonic Wars , and i am sure if there was a new Napoleonic DLC to come later for BL it will turn the tide on MP for BL. I no many guys that still do not have BL they are waiting for it to be completed .

Holy Moly!.. Mind blown... Thanks for sharing :smile:

It would probably require a considerable amount of memory, but AFAIU this is actually how BL works, anyway; i.e. the campaign process runs the combat engine externally, and we return to the campaign as the latter process terminates. It should not be too hard to high-jack this process on the BL side, but I have no idea how he pulled it off on the CK side.

Total War is all about war, but can't blame them as they announce it in the name. However, the campaign side of Total War got dumbed down gradually over each game to a point where there is pretty much no strategy left in it. They try to remedy this by livening up the campaign with different mechanics for different factions, but it does not work. IMHO, Total War is inferior to Bannerlord in battles, and to CK in campaign.

Taleworlds cannot pull off a "fortnite" if they are not actively developing the multiplayer. Unless they undergo some kind of complete restructuring and force themselves to do work, official multiplayer will be dead until custom servers.

Check out this: https://github.com/Bannerlord-Coop-Team/BannerlordCoop/projects

They are making the whole Bannerlord singleplayer experience into a coop experience. It's totally doable. I do however remember someone from Taleworlds say that Mount&Blade coop isn't fun and worth investing into (Wich was totally wrong ofcourse) But I cant remember them saying it would be to hard or difficult to implement.
I'm saying that was their argument as far as I can remember, not that it's hard, you don't have to convince me that it's doable lol, they said the same thing about having destructable walls in siege. Like "Ohh! It's too complicated! Where will the parts drop?! Best forget it. :wink:", they were trying to make things look like as if they are too complex to implement but really they just don't want to bother with it or don't have people good enough at their job to pull off those features, probably both. There's no point of siege engines when rocks you throw just bounces off walls without the tiniest amount of effect, they just made destructable parts which are "pre-destroyed+hastily repaired" but it's not the same thing as bringing a real part of the wall in real time, dulls the experience.. I would not only expect the walls be destructable but also small things like my troops cheering while it's going down. TW deserves %30 of the price and that's mostly for the people who worked on graphics, the rest is really modders' right, I hope there will be capable modders who will one day fix the game altogether if TW can just finalise the game and finally be done with it as it's pretty clear what we have now is pretty much what will get in the final launch, I just want modders being able to work on it sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom