What I believe the speed of every unit should be(universal speed system)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tier 0: light armor with no weapons
Tier 1: light armor with a one handed weapon
Tier 2: heavy armor with a one handed weapon
Tier 3: light armor with a two handed weapon
Tier 4: light armor with a light shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 5: light armor with a heavy shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 6: heavy armor with a light shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 7: heavy armor with a heavy shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 8: light armor with a bow/quiver/any ranged item
Tier 9: heavy armor with a bow/quiver/any ranged item

All cavalry should also follow this tier listing but also but also be differentiated by the three armor types being: full, half, and no armor.

A fully armored horse will never be faster then a half armored horse even if the rider is a heavily armored archer at the bottom of the speed tier list; likewise a half armor horse will never be faster then an unarmored horse. However if two riders are on the same type of mount (fully armored, half armored or unarmored) the speeds should be different depending on the rider's equipment, so a unarmed light armor rider on an unarmored horse would be the fastest unit and an archer with heavy armor on a fully armored horse would be the slowest unit.

Other traditional rules that have existed in the series also apply; so sheathing your weapon will allow you to go slightly faster then your tier but not elevate you a tier above yourself (so sheathing your weapon at tier 1 would not allow you to catch up to a tier 0) Same concept applies to picking up additional weapons, where it would make you slower but not a whole tier slower unless you picked up a two handed weapon/shield (if you pick up a ranged weapon you would automatically be placed at tier 8+)

Bannerlord has moved away from the simplicity of the weight system of Warband and I believe that is a mistake. A heavily armored infantryman should never be able to outrun an unarmed peasant as you are able to do in the current version of bannerlord with perks that can change your speed.

I do believe that the warband system can be simplified, but it should not be completely removed. In warband the weight of every weapon/armor/class was different and this lead to many different running speeds so even if both infantry players were naked and one had a short sword and the other had a long sword the short sword player had a faster running speed. With a simplified (no class differentiation; an unarmored archer without a bow/quiver should run the same as an unarmored infantryman or cavalryman) equipment/armor relative system we can have a majority of players running at the same speed enabling more melee based gameplay. With just two armor types (heavy armor and light armor; perhaps a medium armor) and their relative equipment we can simplify the running speed of all players so that all heavy armor players can catch all other heavy armor players; and all light armor players can catch all other light armor players.

I know there are a lot of bigger issues with bannerlord right now, but stopping bannerlord from being a class based melee game differentiated by special abilities rather then differentiated by player skill is important. It can be argued that specialization leads to better gameplay and point to games like valorant or apex legends; but I believe that games like halo or counter strike are better because every player has the same abilities and therefore equal fighting chances in every situation. Right now archers/dismounted cavalry are so slow that if multiple skilled infantry opponents catch up to them they will be surrounded. The same theory also relates to the other classes trying to function outside their role. I know that the slower archer speed was put in during the beta testing of warband, but I believe a better option was to reduce arrow damage to heavy armor instead so that archers will not be as overpowered but can still engage in melee fairly.

Thank you for reading,
mj

@badbuckle
Thank you for your continuous work and for replying to my message; I know you most likely cannot make any major changes, but thank you for trying.

Dear diary,

Today Jesus made topic #63 about speed, I think he has gone mad with stupid suggestions and imagines that his reposts are actively contributing to the actual development of this game.
I sincerely wish that he gets all the help he needs.

Tier 0: light armor with no weapons
Tier 1: light armor with a one handed weapon
Tier 2: heavy armor with a one handed weapon
Tier 3: light armor with a two handed weapon
Tier 4: light armor with a light shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 5: light armor with a heavy shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 6: heavy armor with a light shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 7: heavy armor with a heavy shield and a one handed weapon
Tier 8: light armor with a bow/quiver/any ranged item
Tier 9: heavy armor with a bow/quiver/any ranged item

All cavalry should also follow this tier listing but also but also be differentiated by the three armor types being: full, half, and no armor.

A fully armored horse will never be faster then a half armored horse even if the rider is a heavily armored archer at the bottom of the speed tier list; likewise a half armor horse will never be faster then an unarmored horse. However if two riders are on the same type of mount (fully armored, half armored or unarmored) the speeds should be different depending on the rider's equipment, so a unarmed light armor rider on an unarmored horse would be the fastest unit and an archer with heavy armor on a fully armored horse would be the slowest unit.

Other traditional rules that have existed in the series also apply; so sheathing your weapon will allow you to go slightly faster then your tier but not elevate you a tier above yourself (so sheathing your weapon at tier 1 would not allow you to catch up to a tier 0) Same concept applies to picking up additional weapons, where it would make you slower but not a whole tier slower unless you picked up a two handed weapon/shield (if you pick up a ranged weapon you would automatically be placed at tier 8+)

Bannerlord has moved away from the simplicity of the weight system of Warband and I believe that is a mistake. A heavily armored infantryman should never be able to outrun an unarmed peasant as you are able to do in the current version of bannerlord with perks that can change your speed.

I do believe that the warband system can be simplified, but it should not be completely removed. In warband the weight of every weapon/armor/class was different and this lead to many different running speeds so even if both infantry players were naked and one had a short sword and the other had a long sword the short sword player had a faster running speed. With a simplified (no class differentiation; an unarmored archer without a bow/quiver should run the same as an unarmored infantryman or cavalryman) equipment/armor relative system we can have a majority of players running at the same speed enabling more melee based gameplay. With just two armor types (heavy armor and light armor; perhaps a medium armor) and their relative equipment we can simplify the running speed of all players so that all heavy armor players can catch all other heavy armor players; and all light armor players can catch all other light armor players.

I know there are a lot of bigger issues with bannerlord right now, but stopping bannerlord from being a class based melee game differentiated by special abilities rather then differentiated by player skill is important. It can be argued that specialization leads to better gameplay and point to games like valorant or apex legends; but I believe that games like halo or counter strike are better because every player has the same abilities and therefore equal fighting chances in every situation. Right now archers/dismounted cavalry are so slow that if multiple skilled infantry opponents catch up to them they will be surrounded. The same theory also relates to the other classes trying to function outside their role. I know that the slower archer speed was put in during the beta testing of warband, but I believe a better option was to reduce arrow damage to heavy armor instead so that archers will not be as overpowered but can still engage in melee fairly.

Thank you for reading,
mj

@badbuckle
Thank you for your continuous work and for replying to my message; I know you most likely cannot make any major changes, but thank you for trying.
No.
Speed is too important to make low tier troops better than high tier infantry just because you hate infantry with shields.

Back
Top Bottom