What happened?

Users who are viewing this thread

I didn't start playing MnB until about 1 year after Warband was released. It was an enormous learning curve, but I could tell it was worth it. If it hadn't had that depth, I'd have stopped playing after a few weeks.

Warband is far far better experience for casual players. You always understand what's happened and can analyse the matter and learn. You can always skip a better player by running away, gang up on him or throw stuff at him to wear him out. You always have a chance to get him/evade him in a huge chaotic melee. Also, Warband have turncaps and blocking feels faster and more reliable. And madskillz are kept away on special servers where they wreck each other instead and not pugstomping. I still enjoy every second of it and go there from time to time to heal my nerves after Bannerlord.

What I liked about drops in Warband is that there were a lot of possibilities depending on how your team preferred it. You were not limited to clicking a ''longer sword'' perk, but instead could pick any sword of your liking and even pick two of them if you wanted to drop one for your mate. Awlpike for cav? No problem. Lance for infantry? No problem. It's just that the current system forced everyone into a little corner and I personally don't like it at all. Then again, I've argued this for years on the forums and not once has TW even responded, so I guess we shall continue on this doomed path. That is, until modders finally revive the game, of course.

Nothing stops them from adding 1-3 better swords and a couple of better shields withing the current system. I just don't like the fact that, for example, better shield and a spear are mutually exclusive. That is very dumb - I may need a spear and a better shield while I can deal with basic armor and a short sword. I see no logic behind setups.

Also, I'd rather see people spend gold on better equipement instead of better troops. Troops shall not be kept behind a paywall - it is just another way to punish casuals by taking conent away from them and keep them in the endless recruit-skirmisher low-skill loop.

Nothing stops them from adding 1-3 better swords and a couple of better shields withing the current system. I just don't like the fact that, for example, better shield and a spear are mutually exclusive. That is very dumb - I may need a spear and a better shield while I can deal with basic armor and a short sword. I see no logic behind setups.
Well something's stopping them and they need to get over it. Swords are great against cloth and leather, but picks and maces are superior against heavy armor. We ought to have options for each damage type in 1hd and 2hd. Preferably multiple options, because mastering many different weapons is challenging and fun(!).

As you point out with spear/shield, its also combinations of weapons that are important. Players should be free to make new and interesting choices. Back to Rhodok infantry, one of my favorite combos that I rarely saw anyone use was Pike/Warhammer/flimsy shield. Carry the shield until you get in pike range, fight with the pike until someone starts crowding, switch to warhammer and smash. Optimal? Hell no. Hilarious and effective? Yes.

As you point out with spear/shield, its also combinations of weapons that are important. Players should be free to make new and interesting choices. Back to Rhodok infantry, one of my favorite combos that I rarely saw anyone use was Pike/Warhammer/flimsy shield. Carry the shield until you get in pike range, fight with the pike until someone starts crowding, switch to warhammer and smash. Optimal? Hell no. Hilarious and effective? Yes.

Interestingly, Pike and Warhammer where more tools for given situations rather than weapons, and I absolutley loved that aspect. There were always dudes with hammers on the top of any ladder and it was quite a challenge to bypass them.

Don't forget meme setups of bald naked old men with wooden sticks. Still scare the hell out of me XD

Back
Top Bottom