What happened to the promised follow-up post for future plans?

Users who are viewing this thread

There was a technical issue preventing modders from modding some aspects of the game. They put out an open letter, TW responded and said they would have a meeting about it. A while passes and TW puts out a statement like a week before the patch that they were going to remove the block in some places but keep using it in others, a bunch of people got mad because they wanted TW to stop using it entirely, one noted modder quit the scene over it.

Then patch day came and they'd removed it from 100+ sections while adding 4 usages -- so basically it was a huge blowup over nothing that could've been 100% avoided if they'd just not said **** before dropping the patch.
Piss poor/no communication is not a solution. Sometimes you have to take your lumps and admit to your mistakes, and then move on. Eventually people will get over it (most will). But trying to sweep it under the rug is going to piss people off more in the long run.

So why they didn't explain this ahead of the patch? Maybe because they wanted to make far less modder-friendly changes at first and were pressured by the outrage to make more of these changes. You can't communicate ahead of time if you improvise. You know it makes sense.
It only makes sense if I ignore everything else about TW's development process being slow as **** for even the most minor changes. If they could suddenly make magic happen in days instead of weeks or months, they would have done it before. They never have and I'm betting they never will.

edit: I mean, there are bugs that were literal 30 second fixes that it took them five and a half months to address but I'm supposed to believe they did a few days' turnaround on this? Why? I'm pretty sure they are just terrible at communicating.
That line of thinking is similar to what I remember of Armagan's (no communication = no mistakes) and it's faulty. Poor communication is improved by better communication, not by less communication.
Piss poor/no communication is not a solution.
You can absolutely prevent blowups based on misunderstanding by just not saying anything. It isn't good for fans but incredibly effective at keeping dudes who don't know or shouldn't be talking because they are bad with words from causing problems. I personally wish they would just say, "Hell no, we're not doing (long list of things)" so it was perfectly clear to everyone involved but I'm not going to pretend that would end in any way but a bunch of regulars madposting themselves into permabans.

Why do you think the PR guys or random devs who post (the ones who said there would be a follow-up) are the ones who make those decisions?
Why are you putting words in my mouth?

I was talking about TW as a whole. Obviously the PR guys don't get to decide those things. I also don't think they get to decide whether to say "we're giving you long-term plans soon" and then not deliver, either.

Last edited:
Why are you putting words in my mouth?
My bad, I misread a post of yours.
I was talking about TW as a whole. Obviously the PR guys don't get to decide those things. I also don't think they get to decide whether to say "we're giving you long-term plans soon" and then not deliver, either.
But I will stand behind this whole thing being a mistake because they could have left the dev diary without a future tease of their intentions for Bannerlord. It just pisses everyone off for no good reason.

**** or get off the pot.

It is my fault that any post along these lines hasn't arrived sooner, and that is something I intend to fix when possible. However, you shouldn't expect anything within the next couple of weeks due to the national holiday taking place here next week. Please accept my apologies for the delay.

It is my fault that any post along these lines hasn't arrived sooner, and that is something I intend to fix when possible. However, you shouldn't expect anything within the next couple of weeks due to the national holiday taking place here next week. Please accept my apologies for the delay.
+1 communication and accountability, what a great Dev

We know, but an apology sounds empty without some kind of measurable commitment, like a date or a timeframe.

While its great to see that someone from the company responds and is trying to hold themselves accountable, i dont believe its anything other than damage control for the PR. I fully suspect that the lack of the Post is not callums personal fault, but is most likely the result of mismanagement and a literal lack of coherent goals for the game which could be put into text format. It is impossible that after all these months not even a draft is existent which could be put into text form mere days after the holiday week/weeks have passed. The lack of directions could be because of many things. Could be results of forum pushback, last minute decisions, failures of current projects etc. We will never know. But I dont buy this response

I'll take the full heat on this one and take the name calling for being a TW apologist, but for a dev to step up and admit fault is "a start" and I trust Callum will stick to his word. There are some devs and mods I have NO faith in, and anyone who has seen rants on my channel know this is true, I blast Talweworld multiple times for dumb things and never afraid to call them out, but this time I totally disagree and flame me all you want, but I give Callum 100% credit to step up and apologize and take accountability and think you guys are wrong to not give him a chance to correct the problem

We know, but an apology sounds empty without some kind of measurable commitment, like a date or a timeframe.
This entire post is about the fact I said we would do it in the near future, and kinda didn't, so I'd prefer not to say exactly when you can expect it, only that it is something that is towards the top of my priorities list. With the holidays taking place at the moment the people that I require to divulge specific information aren't available, and I will be away next week on my honeymoon. As soon as everyone is back and available I will get to work on it.

This entire post is about the fact I said we would do it in the near future, and kinda didn't, so I'd prefer not to say exactly when you can expect it, only that it is something that is towards the top of my priorities list. With the holidays taking place at the moment the people that I require to divulge specific information aren't available, and I will be away next week on my honeymoon. As soon as everyone is back and available I will get to work on it.
Enjoy your holy days, we can wait. Meanwhile we shall keep hyping and ranting in the forums, like usual. :iamamoron:
Can you at least give a hint of what the statement will be about? Like, does it include some fixes and features that we are always asking devs about?

Congratulations, it's a proof you CAN commit. :smile:
Exquisite :lol:

giphy.gif

I thought you've been on holiday the last 8 months

I know some devs do try their best such as mexxico and Duh, I take nothing away from them. My complainant has always been the slow communication to the community on important matters. Just for 1 example, when death was turned on for the first time it was never mentioned in the patch notes, and was asked over and over in the correct beta branch forum and for 3 weeks we got silence from TW. We didn't know if it was intended or a bug, we knew nothing. No one can say that not including that in the patch notes then ignoring the community for 3 full weeks is appropriate. There are more examples but to keep it shorter than how long I already made this post, that is unacceptable if you actually care about your community.

I think with Mexxico leaving - this is going to get worse. Mexxico did a good job of relaying community concerns to the dev team.

We may need more people like Mexxico and Calum - who serves as a community manager.

I think with Mexxico leaving - this is going to get worse. Mexxico did a good job of relaying community concerns to the dev team.

We may need more people like Mexxico and Calum - who serves as a community manager.
mexxico wasn't a community manager, he is a developer like many. Unlike most, he liked communicating with the community and thinks communicating with the fanbase is the beauty of game developing. You are right about more people like mexxico though, more people to communicate with us.

I thought @Callum 's job was more about moderating and setting things up while @Dejan 's job was more about interacting with the community, taking suggestions feedback etc. I don't know if the roles have changed because Callum seems really active nowadays :grin:

Regardless of the roles, I think that we are going to need a new developer that works closely with the community or else the game will be in trouble.

There does seem to be growing concern in the community about the state of this game, and yes, to an extent people are getting frustrated.

Regardless of the roles, I think that we are going to need a new developer that works closely with the community or else the game will be in trouble.

There does seem to be growing concern in the community about the state of this game, and yes, to an extent people are getting frustrated.

"going to need"
"will be"
"does seem"
"are getting"

Mate, you are five years late.

Back
Top Bottom