What happened to the DLSS update for November?

Users who are viewing this thread

DLSS isn't going to do much for me unfortunately.

I have a 3800x and a RTX 3080. Even with every video setting maxed and battle size modded to 1400, my GPU is never being maxed out. My CPU on the other hand is being beaten to death.

DLSS isn't going to do much for me unfortunately.

I have a 3800x and a RTX 3080. Even with every video setting maxed and battle size modded to 1400, my GPU is never being maxed out. My CPU on the other hand is being beaten to death.
more-cores.png

Isn't Bannerlord supposed to be a core intensive game as opossed to a GHz one? I'm asking because I remember a thread somewhere around launch time that said BL can take advantage up to 8 or 16 cores, but no actual professional benchmarks were done comparing high core count low GHz vs low core count high GHz. None that I know of anyway, if anyone found any please link them.

Isn't Bannerlord supposed to be a core intensive game as opossed to a GHz one? I'm asking because I remember a thread somewhere around launch time that said BL can take advantage up to 8 or 16 cores, but no actual professional benchmarks were done comparing high core count low GHz vs low core count high GHz. None that I know of anyway, if anyone found any please link them.
All I know is that Bannerlord is the only game I have ever played that uses all 8 cores and can max them out. Meanwhile my RTX 3080 is cruising along running at about 65%. Now granted I am only running around 1440p resolutions but even at 4k, I think your CPU might be the more limiting factor than GPU if your trying to run large armies anyway.

Honestly what I think is occurring is that the limitation is due to the CPU having to calculate, in my case a modded, 1400 individual units on the battlefield at a time. That has nothing to do with GPU at all. Also since this is all CPU calculation, I would think that even though it seems to love cores, that raw GHz would have to factor in to some degree as well although it is possible that a couple extra cores might actually be more meaningful than a couple extra hundred Mhz on the clock.

DLSS isn't going to fix that problem though I guess if your running 200-300 units with a fairly modern processor and still having FPS issues and could use DLSS, it might help.

DLSS isn't going to fix that problem though I guess if your running 200-300 units with a fairly modern processor and still having FPS issues and could use DLSS, it might help.

If the FPS issues caused by a weak GPU, maybe DLSS can help.

However, in many cases, the CPU is a bottleneck, sometimes you just need more cores - and some things in programming just can't be multi-threaded and are subject to Amdahl's law, so single threaded performance is still the unfortunate bottleneck. The devs have tried their best to thread what they can with this game.

If the FPS issues caused by a weak GPU, maybe DLSS can help.

However, in many cases, the CPU is a bottleneck, sometimes you just need more cores - and some things in programming just can't be multi-threaded and are subject to Amdahl's law, so single threaded performance is still the unfortunate bottleneck. The devs have tried their best to thread what they can with this game.
Yeah that is what I am saying. If you have a real weak GPU maybe it would help but don't you have to have a RTX GPU to use DLSS? I don't think GTX cards have the capability to run DLSS. I mean based on what I am seeing, if you actually have a RTX card, even something like a 2060, you should be able to get 60 fps on this game pretty easily and any real fps hits you have are going to be due to the CPU combined with battle size and not bound by the GPU.

I guess I am making this comment because I read earlier in the post where someone mentioned they couldn't wait for the new DLSS so they could get 60 fps out of the game and I am just not sure DLSS or any variety is actually going to really mean much of anything where Bannerlord was concerned due to the fact this game is so CPU hungry.

Obvious bug with dlss on after 3 months of delay. Pretty much sums up this early access, almost every feature is either glitchy or not ready.

Yeah I feel you. I stopped playing back in early May figuring on giving the game some time to develop. I come back 9 months later and it almost feels like there has been no progress what so ever. Almost all the things that were broken, missing, underdeveloped or just bad mechanics are still broken, missing, underdeveloped or just as bad a mechanic.

What is worse is at the beginning, the modding community was excited and dozens of mods were coming out daily fixing most of the issues so as the make the game playable and enjoyable. Now it appears most mods have been abandoned and very little new is coming out.

Anyway sorry to kind of hijack the thread here, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that 9 months have passed but so little has changed.

DLSS has made a pretty big impact for me personally (can see my setup in my sig).

I tested out all the DLSS options while running 4k with a limit of 165hz. I only tested out the campaign map and letting it run while zoomed pretty far in to my party.

No DLSS - 118 FPS
Quality - 125 FPS
Balanced - 135 FPS
Performance -141 FPS

I've tested it in a few battles, but there was one issue with it that made me go back to No DLSS. Some weapon movements create very noticeable smudges. It was very jarring where I was standing with my archer line - every time after firing a bow there was a huge smudge around it. Haven't checked fps difference, because I capped myself at 70.

I've tested it in a few battles, but there was one issue with it that made me go back to No DLSS. Some weapon movements create very noticeable smudges. It was very jarring where I was standing with my archer line - every time after firing a bow there was a huge smudge around it. Haven't checked fps difference, because I capped myself at 70.
Which version did you use? I've heard that performance mode does cause the smudge effect but quality retains the sharpness of the original. Indeed I've seen videos where DLSS genuinely looks better; which is pretty astonishing. It's a pretty impressive advancement all around.

The real question is, how did you manage to get your hands on an RTX 30 card?
RTX 2060 and 2080 can do it as well now. If anything they probably benefit more as they are the cards which could probably use the helping hand (at least when compared to a 3080).

Which version did you use? I've heard that performance mode does cause the smudge effect but quality retains the sharpness of the original. Indeed I've seen videos where DLSS genuinely looks better; which is pretty astonishing. It's a pretty impressive advancement all around.

Quality. Other than those smudges it looked fine. If not for them, I'd keep on using it. It sounds like a minor issue, but in fact it was a major eyesore. Imagine being in an archer line, where each one of them creates this smudge effect persisting for around a second or two after firing every shot. Made me feel somewhat dizzy.

Back
Top Bottom