What happened to layered defenses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Did anyone pay attention to the defending archers recently? It has been a while since I used RTS to just see what they where doing,
I always had the feeling their rate of fire could be higher and that it was more dangerous to approach the same number of archers on a open field.

yes the ai has to much tunnel vision, running past you on their way to a wall that is already lost.

The defenders could better focus on defending the towers with archers below the wall shooting the enemy of the wall.
For new scenes I would like to suggest destructible doors to the towers with the stairs in the towers the only way to the walls. It’s not a great defensive design to give the enemy direct acces to the courtyard without making them pay for it. This would probably give more ai problems, but would make historical sense.

I really don't want to put any more pressure on the devs... they already have enough to deal with. Of course I would love to see the defenders fall back to inner layers of defence ready to withstand several waves of enemy forces, culminating in the final defence at the keep battle.
I do agree that, especially recently, the community as a whole has been bombarding TW with threads like these. Still, I do believe they should hold at the very least a sliver of responsibility. You would think things could only improve from here:

twdd_04_aserai_siege_2.jpg

source

By the way, what camera mod do you have installed?
Why yours of course :grin:.

I especially love the first-person tweak from it.

I do agree that, especially recently, the community as a whole has been bombarding TW with threads like these. Still, I do believe they should hold at the very least a sliver of responsibility. You would think things could only improve from here:

Why yours of course :grin:.

I especially love the first-person tweak from it.
Hey thank you! I was thinking that it looked familiar to me! :grin:

---
It is undeniable that the game has evolved since that screenshot; however, it is assumed that it has to get better... isn't it :iamamoron:?

Regarding the issue of criticism, it is totally legitimate for a customer to question the quality of a product they have purchased... but there are degrees and levels and some users go beyond what could be called criticism framed within normal standards of civility and empathy. I'm not particularly soft or one to wear rose-coloured glasses when interacting with Taleworlds, I'm critical when I feel I should be and I applaud them when they deserve it because the game undeniably has its positives. They have done a lot of things right and the community as a whole knows that, however they have made several bad decisions in my view that have done nothing but undermine the very foundations of the game, the loyalty of its fanbase and the thriving prospects of the game itself.

As for the issue at hand here, how difficult it is to give an official explanation as to why they decided not to go ahead with it? we don't know yet.... Taleworlds is once again in close ranks mode with a generalised radio silence waiting for the storm to calm down... just another one of many times.

It is undeniable that the game has evolved since that screenshot; however, it is assumed that it has to get better... isn't it :iamamoron:?

Regarding the issue of criticism, it is totally legitimate for a customer to question the quality of a product they have purchased... but there are degrees and levels and some users go beyond what could be called criticism framed within normal standards of civility and empathy. I'm not particularly soft or one to wear rose-coloured glasses when interacting with Taleworlds, I'm critical when I feel I should be and I applaud them when they deserve it because the game undeniably has its positives. They have done a lot of things right and the community as a whole knows that, however they have made several bad decisions in my view that have done nothing but undermine the very foundations of the game, the loyalty of its fanbase and the thriving prospects of the game itself.

As for the issue at hand here, how difficult it is to give an official explanation as to why they decided not to go ahead with it? we don't know yet.... Taleworlds is once again in close ranks mode with a generalised radio silence waiting for the storm to calm down... just another one of many times.
I agree with everything here. I too am guilty of taking quick nabs at TW in discussions unrelated to BL and its developement.

I can sympathize with TW as much as I sympathize with the customer, although that thought process isn't absolute as everyone has differing opinions about almost everything game/developer related. I do firmly believe however that over the past year, the threads that spawn the most controversy are also the threads where we see most official/developer responses. Many people have noticed this, and have created threads with the sole purpose of stirring controversy to get answers (kind of like this but not really). I think the reason is simply due to the back and forth between clashing ideals of the game, turning a humble (or critical/toxic) thread into a war with dozens, even hundreds of replies, something TW simply cannot ignore.

The optimist left in me is think they are waiting to finish the dynamic battle stuff and finishing out the scenes and pathfinding before moving onto this. Imagine how much of a slaughter the AI would funnel themselves into if they implemented it now? They can barely get through the first layer of defenses and then will all just funnel in towards an inner get and get shot to pieces.

So I hope they fix everything else and take another look at this.

Back
Top Bottom