What good is ranking charm for companions?

Users who are viewing this thread

WNxSpectre

Recruit
I noticed that most of the skills within the Charm category are personal skills. What good does it do to rank Charm for companions? Do I get any possible bonus out of my companions being charming? Does having charming companions boost overall charm for me and my clan? If not I suggest that it should, since they represent the clan and could help boost that reputation for being a good and honorable clan. Having companions and family members who conduct themselves well and with high charm should transfer over some charm bonus for the player character, if it doesn't already do so.

The only reason I've ever seen to level Charm on a companion is that they can handle the Family Feud quest. That was a good thing though, because up until like a month ago, it was impossible to level Charm up on them.

Companions are able to be used with the "Emissary" mechanic, which utilizes their Charm skill. Emissaries are any clan member that you leave in a settlement, including governors, and they have a chance to raise clan relations with a lord or notable within that settlement each day. The chance is governed by the clan member's Charm skill, with the formula being [0.1 + (0.75 * (CharmSkill / 300))]. So at 1 Charm they have a 10.25% chance, at 100 a 35% chance, etc.

As far as the perks go, there are a hand full that affect companions, but the thing that moreso stands out to me is that they haven't actually been reworked yet. It could be that they don't think it's necessary to make changes to them, or (pure speculation) it could be pending some other change, like a reworked persuasion system. Aside from Charm, Smithing is the only other perk tree that hasn't really undergone a full rework (if they plan on doing one), and we do know they intend to make changes to the crafting system.

The only reason I've ever seen to level Charm on a companion is that they can handle the Family Feud quest. That was a good thing though, because up until like a month ago, it was impossible to level Charm up on them.
Wait, so you mean they can do quests on their own? If they are in their own party they will complete quests?

Wait, so you mean they can do quests on their own? If they are in their own party they will complete quests?
I meant they could be sent on the Family Feud quest, but AFAIK, companion parties have a chance of handling quests every time they enter settlements. It is a recent change.

Back
Top Bottom