What famous people from history said about different nations

Users who are viewing this thread

ancalimon

Baron
I'm saying the good things about Turks. Please add the bad ones as well if you want.

There are two great virtues that glorifies a human being. Man being brave, woman being fair and honest. Apart from these two there is one virtue for both men and women. To be loyal to their home and their country and even give their life for it. Turks are heroes having this virtue. Because of this, we can always kill Turks. But we can never defeat them.
Napoléon Bonaparte (French emperor)

I'm talking about Turks. When they attack their enemy, it's an relentless tornado, terrifying sea, and ruthless lightning; but when next to a friend or an enemy without a weapon, a Turk is a dawn wind and a clear and calm lake. To change this dawn wind into a tornado and lightning and to change this calm lake into a boiling sea would be a mistake which hurts nature itself.
Tasso (Italian poet)

Among all of the nations, the most honorable and the most friendly people are only the Turks. If you go to a Turkish village that has not been under foreign influence; you will see and learn what true hospitality is in fact.
William Martin

Turks as a race and nation are the most noble and the foremost of the nations. They are socially, religiously and ethically admirable for people who are unbiased.
Lamartine (French writer and diplomat)

I was almost captured in Poltaya. It was death for me but I got away. In front of the "Buğ river", it was even more dangerous; in front of me was water and behind me the enemy as burning sun on the hills... Water wanted to drown me and Sun wanted to burn me. I got away. But today I fell hostage to the Turks. Not even iron, water and fire could enslave me but they could. There's no chain on my feet and I'm not in a dungeon. I do whatever I want. This time I'm hostage to compassion and nobleness and kindness. The Turks have tied me using this diamond rope. Only if you knew how sweet it is to live as a free slave among Turks; Generous, noble, gentle.
King Of Sweden: XII. Karl

Turks know how to die. They know it really well. I'm experienced enough to know that a nation who knows how to die can not be defeated. It's possible to create armies without any single thing and send them to their death easily. I'm taking advantage of this. The only problem is this: The living memories of Turks! The Turks who defeated any single thing on Earth 300 years ago still remember their heritage and stop us from doing what we really want to do. I sense this fear in every heart. So if we want to defeat Turks, we have to first defeat their history. I understand how Turks ruled over dozens of different nations so easily. They defeat a nation only once but they transfer the victories they gained to the souls of future generations.
M. Montecuccoli (Austrian commander)

There is no other tribe other than Turks who have as much courage. God created them in the image of a lion. They can achieve the highest ideals.
İbn-i Hassul

Turk is the noblest of the nobles. Nothing artificial, nothing flashy. Their dignity is a gift of nature to them
Pierre Loti

Turks not only have an infinite courage, they also have the intelligence of a wizard that stuns the wills. Turks kept gaining victories over victories and created civilizations over civilizations using this intelligence and gives the most honorable service to the human civilization. It wouldn't have been possible  for them to rule half of Europe otherwise.
Çar Nayev (Russian commander)

Turks are the living example of an armed nation. Villagers hold sicle as a weapon, clerk hold pen as a weapon and woman hold her skirt as a weapon. They always sit like on a horse and always walk like a ranger.
Moltke

Turks are the most honorable people on the face of the planet as a race and as a nation.
La Martine

If you want to really know what is is to fight and take joy from it, you have to fight the Turks.
Towsend (English commander)

Türks are very clever and capable riders. Whoever they are they encircle and defeat their enemies like a leave.
Câhiz (Arabic scholar)

Turks have clear hearts. They have no superstitious and ordinary ideas at all.
Semame İbn-i Eşreş (Arabic scholar)

Turks are heroes. They never hurt their friends but they make them better off. If Turkish nation hold your hands, they never let it go and never break a promise. They don't leave you in your good or bad day. Somehow if you become friends with them, you gain the ability to defeat any difficulty with ease.
Comenius (Czech scholar)

There are two things Turks love the most. Justice and truth. They never did anything wrong but they were wronged.
William Pitt (English stateman)

Turks are a known nation much older than Heredotus and Torah knows about. They have such a courage that didn't accept pomposity in a world of simplicity and didn't accept grandeur in a world of tranquility. They have a love for conquering and they never adapted to lands but made the lands adapt to themselves.
Hammer (famous historian)

Turks surely are the most pure and dignifed nation European and near Eastern history had ever known.
Kayzerling

There are two unknowns in the world. One of them is the two poles, the other the Turks.
Albert Sorel

It is possible to see the self confidence a wepon gives to soul in the eyes of every single Turk. The Turks has learned to live life in confidence.
Molkte

The hand of the Turk which knows how to use the sword ruthlessly also knows to heal the wounds of people it defeated.
Lord Byron

Turk don't fear but instill fear. Whatever he wants, he achieves and never gives up.
Semame İbn-i Eşreş

Learning Turkish gave me fgreat happiness. Because to understand a Turk, one has to speak with him without a translator. A translator like a dull curtain covering the light when speaking to a Turk.
Gelland (French scholar)

Turkish soldier is courageous. He loves his mother country and gives his life without hesitation if need be.
Albert Einstein

I'll never fight the Turks again. They are courageous and good people.
Andreas Phitiades

In Turkish society, there is no other important thing than personal quality and value.
Baron Büsbek

If ten of the bravest people from ten of the bravest nations were collected on one single person, he couldn't be a rival to a Turk. Turks speak most of war and victory. Their entertainment; horse and weapon. Appraising their sincerity and honesty is never enough.
Charles Mcfarlene

Turkish nation for 2000 years are professional soldiers. They are born as soldiers.
Donaldson

To whichever army you ask, you'll get the answer that it's not possible to think in front of Turkish army at all.
Donaldson

Be friends with Turks but never be enemies.
Gianni de Michelis

No other army in the word can stand as much as the Turkish army.
Hamilton

There are no other soldiers in the world who are ready to give their life for religion and country other than the Turks.
Hamilton

Turks are masters of destroying and creating countries. They not only turned countries upside down, they turned continents upside down and destroyed hegemonies that were very difficult to destroy.
History learned so much from the Turks. There are such monuments that came from their hands; they are ornaments of civilization.
Hammer (famous historian)

We couldn't be successful in Dardanelles. How could we? Turks were fighting with the rage, courage and dare of a lion as if we entered his lair. I never saw such a nation.
Sir Julien Corbet

You can never see any other solider who looks at death with a smiling face... Only if they have a good leader.
Mulman

Turks are not only very honest and generous to Muslims, they are also the same to other nations and foreigners as well. They don't see any difference between a Muslim and a non-Muslim.
Monradgea D’ohsson

If you don't want to understand the Turk, turn your back to history. In front of unjust attacks and unjustified lies, Turks are silent. That's because they take pity on others who don't see the truth. This nobility is an open answer to those lowly lies.
Pierre Loti

The morality of Turk is not because of indoctrination during childhood but what he saw around himself. No evil at all.
Thomas Thorsten

The soul of the Turks will once again gain its shine and that nation who was born to use weapons will once again find the light of his soul.
Feldmareşal von Moltke - German chief of defence

You have to kill every single Turk. If you are stupid enough to leave a single one alive, that Turk will create a new empire and take revenge.
Chinese saying.

A Turk is worth all of the people in the world. Two Turks aren't worth even a single Chinese man.
Chinese saying.

Sources? After some quick searching, I'd be willing to be that less than 90%(Actually, maybe none...) of these were ever spoken.

ancalimon said:
You have to kill every single Turk. If you are stupid enough to leave a single one alive, that Turk will create a new empire and take revenge.
Chinese saying.

A Turk is worth all of the people in the world. Two Turks aren't worth even a single Chinese man.
Chinese saying.
o_O Are you serious?

Turks suck.
Chinese saying.

Nothing against Turks. Only this one.

I didn't even read them. Without a source and coming from a nationalistic person? No thank you.

Wow, a thread about Turks. Finally we can discus about their great achievements and find out more about roots of mankind.   

Workaholic said:
Wow, a thread about Turks. Finally we can discus about their great achievements and find out more about roots of mankind. 
You can start by saying bad things said to them.

Or maybe we can change the title to "What famous people from history said about different nations" and list all of the nations like this?

Swordmaster said:
We have enough thread about Turks, but we need a one with turkeys. :eek:
If you want to save a species, simply decide to eat it. Then it will be managed - like chickens, like turkeys, like deer, like Canadian geese.
Ted Nugent

Most turkeys taste better the day after, my mother's tasted better the day before.
Rita Rudner

Turkeys, quails, and small birds, are here to be seen; but birds are not numerous in desart forests; they draw near to the habitations of men, as I have constantly observed in all my travels.
William Bartram

When turkeys mate they think of swans.
Johnny Carson

what  is it that yo uare trying to achieve ancalimon? If we put the bad things said about the Turks here, we will have to fill the INTERNETZ to full capacity.

umm this turkish kebab is so nice
~all drunk fools in everytown in england on a friday saturday night

"There are no crueller and more audacious villains under the heavens than the Turks who spare no age or sex and mercilessly cut down young and old alike and pluck unripe fruit from the wombs of mothers".[
Bishop Fabri of Vienna

"Until the end of the seventeenth century the 'Ottoman peril' lurked alongside Europe to represent for the whole of Christian civilization a constant danger, and in time European civilization incorporated that peril and its lore, its great events, figures, virtues, and vices, as something woven into the fabric of life."
Edward Said

They [the Turks] were, upon the whole, from the black day when they first entered Europe, the one great anti-human specimen of humanity. Wherever they went, a broad line of blood marked the track behind them, and, as far as their dominion reached, civilization disappeared from view. They represented everywhere government by force, as opposed to government by law.
William Gladstone

The barbarian power, which has been for centuries seated in the very heart of the Old World, which has in its brute clutch the most famous countries of classical and religious antiquity and many of the most fruitful and beautiful regions of the earth... ignorantly holding in its possession one half of the history of the whole world. ”
Cardinal Newman

I wish fervently that the Turkish barbarians be chased away immediately out of the country [Greece] of Xenophon, Socrates, Plato, Sophocles and Euripides. If we wanted, it could be done soon but seven crusades of superstition have been undertaken and a crusade of honour will never take place. We know almost no city built by them; they let decay the most beautiful establishments of Antiquity, they reign over ruins.
Voltaire

When i consider history, I find that there has been no nation tht has practiced more blasphemy of God, brutally, shameful fornication, and every kind of wild and chaotic living than the Turks.
Philipp Melanchthon

Lastly,I could show fight on natural selection having done and doing more for the progress of civilization than you seem inclined to admit. Remember what risk the nations of Europe ran, not so many centuries ago of being overwhelmed by the Turks, and how ridiculous such an idea now is! The more civilised so-called Caucasian races have beaten the Turkish hollow in the struggle for existence. Looking to the world at no very distant date, what an endless number of the lower races will have been eliminated by the higher civilized races throughout the world.
Charles Darwin

heres a fun idea, lets look in the dictionary for Turk
Websters New Collegiate Dictionary: "One who is cruel or tyrannical."
Concise Oxford Dictionary: "Ferocious, wild or unmanageable person."
Random House Dictionary: "A cruel, brutal and domineering man."

Will they ever be civilised? I think not. such a fine country ought to be in better hands.
John Webster

As cruel as a Turk.
Greek saying

How will you tell a Turk? By the blood on his hands.
Greek saying

That was too cruel even for a Turk.
Dutch saying

Where the Turk treads, for a hundred years the soil bears no fruit.
German saying

No grass grows in the trail of a Turk.
Arab saying

Where the Turks's horse treads once, the grass never grows again.
English saying

A Turk who hears the word 'paradise' asks "Is there any gold to be looted there?"
Persian saying

No cold without a gust; no bad guest without a Turk.
Serbian saying

Perfectly useles.
Horatio Nelson

The paradise of Thieves.
Eliza Fry

I never saw a place I liked worse, nor which afforded less pleasure or instruction, nor antiquities which less answered their description.
James Bruce

There is not perhaps upon Earth a more dirty metropolis.
ED Clarke

A practical joke played on history.
Peter Forster

yup the turks sound like a lovely race, quick let us wank over them

Back
Top Bottom