What does Village Hearths even do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Apart from food supply difference in food supply that I read from a different thread.
What does it even do? In my games, a village with higher hearth can still make less than a village with lower hearth..
And whilst we're on the subject.. How do you make a village make more money?

Apart from food supply difference in food supply that I read from a different thread.
What does it even do? In my games, a village with higher hearth can still make less than a village with lower hearth..
Increase their daily production and pay more money in taxes to the owner.
And whilst we're on the subject.. How do you make a village make more money?
Increase the number of hearths.

Thanks
Was just confused by hearths because higher hearths doesn't always make more money than lower hearths.. But I'm guessing what type of resource they produce goes into it

@Apocal has it right, but to add detail: Hearth count sets rate of daily production of the village goods, the size of the militia, and the targeted size of the village market party. Village goods sell for different prices, so some villages make more "income" for a given amount of production brought to market in town than others. Tax to the fiefholder is from some (would have to check code on specifics) total of head count of hearths and a fluctuating "income" that village makes from goods to market.
It also has 3 steps of contribution to the settlement it is linked to, based on hearth count breakpoints, of +6, +12, or +18 Food to that settlement's granary.
The town that they go to market in benefits as well in both market activity and tariffs to the owner.

Hope that helps!

They grow at a base rate any time they are not raided. Step 1: Keep your vills safe.
The rate is decremented if there are issues in the village that matter, so Step 2 is solve issues. You can see if they matter on the mouseover of the Hearths in Encyclopaedia or when in village.
There are Settlement governors with perks that increase Hearth growth. Step 2b (optional) is put one of them in charge of the region.
and, for major growth at a cost: Step 3 ~ Put the settlement controlling the region on Irrigation, and fund a little extra input to the project. (Continuous projects don't seem to use the extra funds up, but it increases the production/construction of a settlement so it increases the project effect too.)

A normal situation would be... unraided? grows as +0.4 / d. Issue? make that only +0.2 /d or so. Good Governor? might make it +0.6 or 0.9 per d. Pour on the project? add anywhere from +0.2 for a small castle's project to a blazing +1.0 or so from a big town project.

Soon your Thousand Hearth village with 120+ militia will send a hundred man market party to town, crushing Bandits that come to try them (and capturing some, eventually recruiting some into the party. I've seen Market parties with -Cavalry- as they beat up some bandits who had captured a caravan, and the Villies recruited the Caravan Guards they rescued.) Fair warning, though. Big Market parties are as slow as Looter parties of the same size... so they are very waddly above about 60 members.

Wait. So if I have cities that have stage 3 with all of their projects completed it'd still benefit to put some denars into the coffers to help with ongoing projects such as irrigation, militia, etc? If so, do I just put the minimum in like say 500 denars?

Back
Top Bottom