What does clan system serve in gameplay?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think they put that much thought into it. I'm guessing they just took what was in Warband (families) and improved it into a more "open" system. "Look, AI can have kids and actually die now. What's that ultimately for, you ask? Well, you figure it out!"

I don't think they put that much thought into it. I'm guessing they just took what was in Warband (families) and improved it into a more "open" system. "Look, AI can have kids and actually die now. What's that ultimately for, you ask? Well, you figure it out!"
Well in the devblogs they had an idea of inter clan competition and politicking but we dont even hqve dialogues. There is zero roleplaying with them

Clans makes perfect sense in a Medieval setting where family, literally, comes first.

In the game they seem mostly to function as separate pools of money, manpower and influence to be shared across multiple party leaders, but without complicating the politics feature by making everyone an individual with influence.

It's like having a WB Lord command not one but 3-4 parties at once, making kingdoms able to form 3-4 armies instead of one, but you still have only one guy to vote for fief elections. So, in short, this feature enables large battles to take place without having singular vassals runnaround with 300-400 troops themselves. I think as far as the AI is concerned that's the only difference it makes. Pretty rad on the player's side though

Well in the devblogs they had an idea of inter clan competition and politicking but we dont even hqve dialogues. There is zero roleplaying with them
Just like they had the idea of building settlements, crime empires etc... all cut and sacrificed on the altar of "it's too complicated", to then deliver the most bare bones experience they possibly could.
The game they originally envisioned and hyped is what I thought I got into EA for, what is being delivered is something else that hopefully kind modders will complete for free out of the goodness of their heart, but I lost any faith I had in TW.

If it's easy to do, modders can handle it. If it's hard to do, TW won't do it cuz resource.
Like many, I have a features wishlist for Bannerlord. Glad to see that the modders are ticking all those boxes.
I'm sure you are aware about this, but what he has achieved so far is just unbelievable.

Like many, I have a features wishlist for Bannerlord. Glad to see that the modders are ticking all those boxes.
I'm sure you are aware about this, but what he has achieved so far is just unbelievable.

I think bannerkings is a must have.

Nothing really a waisted mechanic you may as well turn off aging and death and keep you character. The clan system can be used to field extra army's boring really. This game needs some interesting mechanic injecting into it. Why is it i get more of a frill in ck3's battles with is just bar filling red. Because the battles have impact and the characters are interesting and mean more to the campaign if you lose them. Bannerlord is lacking. At the moment bannerlord is just a basic battle simulator a calculator simulator what is the highest numbers type of game. Hope mods work some magic.

Last edited:

It can't work with total conversion mods right? Currently trying out the Realm of Thrones one.

I recently created a "ah, how sweet" moment. You know how the game always kicks out massively overpowered, yet terribly geared clan members to any companion you promote to vassal?

Well, I change all of that using Character Reload (which is an awesome mod to fix every conceivable idiotic gear loadout, dwarf or giant people, clan members who are from a completely different ethic background, etc. - just an awesome in game edit tool for everything from stats, to traits, to attributes, to gear).

Anyway, back to my story. So I don't like all this testosterone laden clan member system for my newly raised vassals, and always change one of them to a female clan member.

And then,....two of these lonely (new to the world) souls got together, and ....MARRIED. Just freakin awesome.

It can't work with total conversion mods right? Currently trying out the Realm of Thrones one.
Depends. If they change same things, things could be tricky. If i would decide to try it out, i would place, Banner Kings after total conversion in the load order so Banner Kings overwrite total conversion, then i would back up my saves some other location on my pc and i would play a little to see if there is a gamebreaking issue. But keep in mind, these issues can happen after you play a long time.

So, there's a game I like that's quite negatively rated on Steam in which they have a similar thing to clans. It's called Tale of Immortal, and they have sects there. Most NPCs, by joining a sec, get added benefits of growing stronger faster, better manuals, more dual cultivation partners etc., just a lot of good things.

And now if you were to translate that to Bannerlord, every clan could give benefits such as daily pocket money to buy bread at the market, special clan-specific units, bonuses to some player stats, or maybe bonuses to unit types. Kind of like if you were to join a clan with a storied elite archer unit, you'd get access to recruiting those units, plus some additional bonuses to all marksmen you lead, or getting a bonus to your archery skill.

Idk, there's a lot of ideas that can be put into them, and do allow for great immersion, as well as a good foothold for future mods, as mentioned above.

It might, but if the total conversion adds features that will conflict with Banner Kings features, then you'll most probably run into problems.
I believe that, with time, the mod will allow different branch developments to be compatible with a few of the most popular overhauls.

I think that clan system is a good feature in Bannerlord. It just deserves to be fleshed out.

The issue you point out with relation has nothing to do with clan system, in my opinion. I don't really understand the relation system or at least, sometimes I don't know what it stands for. When you want to vassalize a lord, I have the feeling that relation does not really help and other than that, relation is just a number beside a protrait.
Hit the nail on the head bro/bro-ette lol like spot on.

I made a comment in 2022 about he relationship stats being pointless and the game . The only thing its any good for is forming an army and influence is cheaper on higher relations npc's. Bannerlord is still a battle simulator and it gets boring . I still haven't ever finished a campaign as its more fun at the start. I hope TW looks at none economic and none battle feature next because this game needs it badly.

I made a comment in 2022 about he relationship stats being pointless and the game . The only thing its any good for is forming an army and influence is cheaper on higher relations npc's. Bannerlord is still a battle simulator and it gets boring . I still haven't ever finished a campaign as its more fun at the start. I hope TW looks at none economic and none battle feature next because this game needs it badly.
I agree but keep in mind that it's called bannerlord not diplomaticlord

Mount and Blade was always a battle simulator lol, I have no idea how you can be enough of a fan to post on the TaleWorlds forum but be blind to that.

I always thought the clan system was awesome and added so much and it's an evolution from Warband in every way. Being able to assign governors and parties and have that feed back into your clan rank and prestige is great. And things like allowing you to form a free army with clan parties is just fun and a good perk. It is honestly such a natural progression for a medieval war sandbox like this.

Like all great systems in these types of games, it's pretty good as it is but has some obvious things that can be expanded on and made even greater. Whether or not it is done by TW or by modders, we win in the end.

Back
Top Bottom