What do you think about the new new skill system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tactics on the other hand seems to get raised pretty regulary. I also constantly have various forms of food on me but it doesent seem to do anything for leadership?
Fot some reason it doesnt increase leadership, only steward if you are te quartermaster

I like the concept, but some skills like leadership are almost impossible to raise... Needs some work.
Then you don't like the concept either mate. Leadership doesn't give me any problem because that's where i put my focus points. I have problems with OTHER skills, everyone have a ''diferent'' problem with the progression system but the thing is, EVERYTHING start from the fact you need to spend focus points to have the ability to then learn it trough practice. Learning trough practice is cool but then you're screwed If you don't spend your focus points at the right place at the right moment... Even if you spend 10 years IG of your character lifespan to increase a skill you didn't spend focus points on, you just can't raise it.

There's no way to rebalance this in a way that would make it fun, id just get rid of focus. Perks can be worked on and be an interesting addition to the game, if done right. There's no way to make focus fun though, i should just learn anything i want trough practice and the only limitation should be the lifespan of my character. If i spent his whole life only doing 1h sword fighting then so be it, should be the only skill i got, if on the other hand i work my *** off building all of my skills i should get the benefit coming with it of having a well rounded character. Doesn't make sense that i have to chose between being good at using my sword or being good at crafting swords i suck at using because i didn't have enough focus point to work on both even though i clearly had the free time to do it...

It's not like we get everything for free without focus, we still need to work for it and that should be the only requirement.

Instead of Focus Points give us a few Skill Points to freely distribute each level. And let Atrribute Points have more impact, like damage and success bonus or something.
This way everybody who likes the new system can still have fun, and those complaining get what they want. Everybody wins.
And the sooner the system is changed the better, it will only become more work to do after adding new features and content later on.

Last edited:
Then you don't like the concept either mate. Leadership doesn't give me any problem because that's where i put my focus points. I have problems with OTHER skills, everyone have a ''diferent'' problem with the progression system but the thing is, EVERYTHING start from the fact you need to spend focus points to have the ability to then learn it trough practice. Learning trough practice is cool but then you're screwed If you don't spend your focus points at the right place at the right moment... Even if you spend 10 years IG of your character lifespan to increase a skill you didn't spend focus points on, you just can't raise it.

There's no way to rebalance this in a way that would make it fun, id just get rid of focus. Perks can be worked on and be an interesting addition to the game, if done right. There's no way to make focus fun though, i should just learn anything i want trough practice and the only limitation should be the lifespan of my character. If i spent his whole life only doing 1h sword fighting then so be it, should be the only skill i got, if on the other hand i work my *** off building all of my skills i should get the benefit coming with it of having a well rounded character. Doesn't make sense that i have to chose between being good at using my sword or being good at crafting swords i suck at using because i didn't have enough focus point to work on both even though i clearly had the free time to do it...

It's not like we get everything for free without focus, we still need to work for it and that should be the only requirement.
Im not sure I follow. I like the concept just fine. Some skills just dont seem to gain any skills points at all. Like I already mentioned ive only seen leadership get 2 increases. I spend most of my time leading and recruiting my men. If that doesent raise your leadership skill then what would?

Putting focus points in leadership wouldnt help if there arent any activities that give you skillpoints for it.

Now as for not beeing able to do EVERYTHING on 1 character. I like that. Means that you got a use for your companions and prevents us from making some sort of mary sue character.

Yeah i hated the focus points from the moment i realized how much they limit you. I guess some people like to have their characters very specialized but it's not my cup of tea.

Focus points aren't the problem. They're not what's limiting you, its the learning limit that's the problem, along with the learning rate which declines as you level up. They need to get rid of the learning limits and make the minimum learning rate never drop lower than 1%. You're already limited by the increasing xp to get skill points and the increasing skill points to gain levels, but now its like you're getting hit with limits front, back and sideways. They need to loosen the valves a bit. They also need to rethink how you gain experience in a lot of the non-combat skills, and make sure that companions can also level those skills in normal gameplay.

Focus points aren't the problem. They're not what's limiting you, its the learning limit that's the problem, along with the learning rate which declines as you level up. They need to get rid of the learning limits and make the minimum learning rate never drop lower than 1%. You're already limited by the increasing xp to get skill points and the increasing skill points to gain levels, but now its like you're getting hit with limits front, back and sideways. They need to loosen the valves a bit. They also need to rethink how you gain experience in a lot of the non-combat skills, and make sure that companions can also level those skills in normal gameplay.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
Just this one thing is breaking the game for me, favorite part of the game for me is building my character and companions, I love the rpg part of it. The battles, trading, and all the rest is just a way to play my characters. That it's one of the best combat, medieval type games just makes that roleplaying experience the best!

I really like the concept of the new skill system. However, it feels like weapon skill levels are meaningless beyond the perks they unlock. The minimum skill allows you to use any weapon effectively so long as you, the player, are competent with it. Level/perks are just bonuses. I don't like that, particularly with respects to ranged weapons.
It also feels like the criteria for passively increasing some skills are too specific, and progression slow especially for companions. Athletics and Leadership off the top of my head.
I'm also not sure I like that you don't level skills during tournaments/arena fights.
Exactly this. Quite a few skills are forcing you to do a certain activity whether you want it or not so you have to play your game a certain way. It's supposed to be a sandbox game where you do whatever you want and be whoever you want. So if I want to be a trader and lead a small force why I can't get renown or can't increase my morale above 75 to gain leadership without constantly fighting? I think a lot of the ideas in the game are pretty great but executed very badly, including the skill/perk system

+1

Well i still don't like the focus points as they are currently implemented. I think it would be better if they were more generic; you could invest focus points on endurance for example and it would make all endurance skills improve faster. This would then of course require increasing the max amount of focus points you can invest to each attribute and maybe balance the xp rates overall. And yeah the learning limits need to be somehow reworked or just removed imo.

I really think Taleworlds could help themselves if they separate skill progression more from global leveling. That was the case in Warband, weapon master and every weapon skill. If you had crossbow 111 or 376 played no role for the global level and had nothing to do with your attributes.

I want that back. I don't like the hard connection between skill points learned by experience and skill points needed to gain the next level and therefore another focus point and another attribute point.

My suggestion:

Each action that gives xp towards a skill could give the standard, unmultiplied xp into a global pool. That pool is a normal warband like xp pool for the level and therefore the attribute and focus points. They can now 100% freely decide how many xp are needed for the next level and adjust those numbers if needed without any backslash to skill learning.

And then they can do exactly what they are doing now with the focus point and xp multiplicator for each skill. So each skill can be fine tuned more independently.

Each action that gives xp towards a skill could give the standard, unmultiplied xp into a global pool. That pool is a normal warband like xp pool for the level and therefore the attribute and focus points.
It is funny. Becouse i see so many players(including me) that suggest this solution, but for some reason devs dont see it.

Btw i found THE BEST perk in the whole game.

Perfect health - "Clan member fertility increased by 20%" Becouse i need 18 schildrens instead of my 15 to scroll my clan window even more.

Btw i found THE BEST perk in the whole game.

Perfect health - "Clan member fertility increased by 20%" Becouse i need 18 schildrens instead of my 15 to scroll my clan window even more.
Yeah, but you could name yourself Maximum997 the Fertile.
Well, guess with 15 kids you already could...

The difference of warband and bannerlord skill system is that that when you kill an enemy, you don't get global experience , instead you only promote you single hand or arrow skill. I think this skill system has defective:
1. Other skill like engineering is very hard to promote.
2. Lack of feedback. After you kill thousands of enemy without getting any experience, you fill bored.
So please let us get global experience like warband!
It would be fine if there was no hard cap on learning, there should be a minimum like a x0.10 instead of 0.
I agree, killing people should be a bit more rewarding in the late game. Halted character progression stings a bit, i must say.

I agree, killing people should be a bit more rewarding in the late game. Halted character progression stings a bit, i must say.
Yo, this thread is really old. A lot of the issues within have been resolved, including this. You still get XP when killing an enemy amd character leveling no longer depends on gaining skill levels.

Yo, this thread is really old. A lot of the issues within have been resolved, including this. You still get XP when killing an enemy amd character leveling no longer depends on gaining skill levels.
WHAT?! So if all my skills are capped i would still gain xp to put focuses somewhere else from kills?
This is great news! Thank you :grin:

I really don't like having to choose between two perks.
I really don't like having to choose between one thing and another.
Rather give me a maximum number of choices and then I decide among the total of existing perks which to select.
Or would it require too much balancing work?
I don't understand why with an ax I have to take a perk to damage a shield when the ax itself should be granting me that power.
Certain features of the game should be based on physics and not on trivial "tags".
Rather those tags (the perks) should unlock mechanics adhering to the skill, not simple increases in numerical parameters.
I hate percentages, I love mechanics, especially movement ones.

Somebody musta unlocked the Necromancy perk to revive this dead thread!

WHAT?! So if all my skills are capped i would still gain xp to put focuses somewhere else from kills?
This is great news! Thank you :grin:
Yes, you gain just as much exp towards leveling up even with hard capped skills. It was a bit improvement IMO. However I still think we could do even better by abolishing attributes and just letting FP govern the entire skill range, even if very slow at high skill, so that players can truly just do as they like to build the character playing their way, not having to min/max attributes to not be locked out of higher perks. Nothing is so good that it can be considered a balance issue, it's just making it kidna annoying and less rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom