What do you do, Taleworlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dude,  the military just means low pay,  bureaucracy,  waiting around, and more waiting around.

Unless you luck into a decent job (everyone wants to be a spec ops soldier or foghter pilot, no one wants to be the military police).

Yeah....those are some of the reasons why I was thinking about enrolling.
Extra emphasis on "was".

I think the most exciting/interesting thing I've done was volunteer at Hoover Dam for 90 days. My grandfather worked there (he's retired now) as an architectural engineer and I was taken under his wing and got to learn how to read blueprints and see how they're made, inspect and fix some (minor) things, and be around loads of potentially dangerous and really cool machinery, among other things. It was a very interesting experience, learned a lot of stuff and it looks good on a resume.

Other than that, I've only done summer/christmas jobs at a mall. In the future I'm looking at a lot of things though. I might go to receive training for installing fire alarms and security cameras and stuff. The real long-term goals though are to work part-time at a UPS packaging center, once I take the ACT and get enrolled at CSN (College of Southern Nevada). UPS is an amazing company, and for this part-time job, they'll pay my entire tuition, so long as I stay with for at least two years after they stop paying. I just have to wait until February and probably install alarms/cameras until then.

In college I'll study History, not sure what to specialize in just yet. I'm also looking at a possible internship at the Smithsonian Institute, which would be interesting because its a federal job and that comes with some neat benefits. Including the ability to say "I work for the government"

I'd have to go look up some statistics, but I'd say most people below the age of 40 have held a number of different jobs in a wide variety of places nowadays.

Gone are the days of working for one company your entire life.
The average at our family business is less than two years among younger employees, IIRC.
We still have a couple of old-timers who've clocked in over 40 years, but new people switch jobs a lot more often. Kinda sucks if you spend a bunch of money on training them and then they leave.

Pixel said:
The real long-term goals though are to work part-time at a UPS packaging center, once I take the ACT and get enrolled at CSN (College of Southern Nevada). UPS is an amazing company
Am I the only one who think UPS is a bit of an awkward acronym? It sounds a bit like "Oops". :grin:
No offence intended.

It does not sound like Oops at all, because it's not a conventional acronym (I don't know what's the word in English here? In Portuguese acrónimo(acronym) is an abbreviation of words that is read continously, like Benelux or NATO, and we have "sigla", which refers to abbreviations of multiple words into a few letters that are read independently, like BP and UPS), you read it "Eww-Pee-Ess".

Harkon Haakonson said:
It does not sound like Oops at all, because it's not a conventional acronym (I don't know what's the word in English here? In Portuguese acrónimo(acronym) is an abbreviation of words that is read continously, like Benelux or NATO, and we have "sigla", which refers to abbreviations of multiple words into a few letters that are read independently, like BP and UPS), you read it "Eww-Pee-Ess".

moar liek "u penis"

amirite?  :iamamoron:

Úlfheðinn said:
Leonemo said:
Seems like there are many people who don't know what to do. You all sound quite smart and diligent but something doesn't fit. Have you done things that were said to be the best for you or did you just follow your dreams without any backup?

I'd have to go look up some statistics, but I'd say most people below the age of 40 have held a number of different jobs in a wide variety of places nowadays.

Gone are the days of working for one company your entire life.

Well, it's common for me to work for different companies in your entire life. But is it common to keep switching the job, which means start doing something completely different? I always thought if you start studying something you will try to find the career there.

Well, sure. But not everyone takes the most direct route in life for a myriad different reasons, or not everyone takes a university degree so they work in several different more "hands-on" fields, making use of their skills and the available opportunities as time goes. I'm not sure what answer you're really after, it's quite obvious. :lol:

Pixel said:
UPS is an amazing company
Now I get it.
Mary-Ann-UPS-Pic-Prostitute-Redacted.jpg

Park manager.

And I'm back, *****es.  After a several year layover.  Here to spread more reactionary crap.

On a placement doing supply chain & Data analysis at Pirelli Tyres. Go back to uni next September

Previously have been a bartender, a potwasher and a car park attendant. But don't count them really since they were just part time things.

I'm what you would call IT support in a private school. You know, taking care of kids stealing WiFi, dusting the school's PC lab and other stuff, relevant with the position I was hired for. Cannot complain though, the pay is good, they are usually nice people and plus, when I don't do those things, I get to be in front of a computer all day(like right now) and brows the net or play games. I studied Greek and Latin history and then two years programming and web development in a private school, finished last year, so at least, one of my study subjects had something to do with my employment.  :party:

Back
Top Bottom