What Could be Done (Modding) to Make Your Kingdom Actually Feel Unique?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I was thinking that currently the experience of making your own kingdom is ...well... quite shallow.

What I mean is you get to make your own banner which will hang on castle walls. And you get to choose which type of troops you recruit into our armies.

But other than those things, what really makes it YOUR kingdom?

So, this is an open question.... what customisation could be modded into the game to make you have some feeling of ownership and affection for your kingdom? (Other than you just putting policies to the occasional vote and choosing banner design).

One suggestion which I made before is that your main settlement would have a 'war room' - a bloody massive table with a map - clicking on it would allow you to set the patrol routes of your nobles and their armies.

Others have proposed regular 'council meetings' with your nobles etc... plus being able to make deals with bandit horde leaders, and even ordering attempted assassinations / spying missions.

What other things would add value to the 'kingdom experience'?

Some of this has been thought about before... I know. But not for a good long while.

(If you're part of the ' but battles are all that matter ' cult, please do us all a favour...and refrain from commenting here).

Last edited:
Well the word unique is what I want. I feel like every kingdom are somewhat similar. I would like to have more customisation of everything, I mean I am King right? Issuing orders, like what you said. Making final decisions, customising policies like being a dictator for example lol, customise troops, negotiating with lords and other rulers. Can't think of anything else atm, but I'm sure others will have ideas lol

No idea if this is even possible for modders to accomplish, but being able to change the appearance of locations, both on the worldmap and inside the scene, from a preset selection of scenes.

For example, are you tired of all your Battanian cities looking like run down ancient ruins? Pour money into a reconstruction project and you could make them look new again. Or, you could rebuild them in the style of an Empire city.

Another major aspect of customisation would be trying to re-implement the scrapped fief development system, where you can change the entire nature of a location. Again though this would probably be quite difficult to pull off in a mod (I think mexxico said he doubts it's possible)

Otherwise I'd say Taleworlds has done a good job of covering the bases on kingdom customisation- with fief projects and kingdom policies- they just haven't quite fleshed policies out enough, as many policies are still too imbalanced for it to feel like a choice for the player which policy they would like to pursue, just a case of picking the most obviously good ones, and few of them feel like they make an actual major impact on your kingdom.

Some policies with bigger upsides and downsides would be interesting- both in vanilla or via modders.

Last edited:
I don't entirely understand the premise... If I conquer the West-Midlands, the flavour of my kingdom is going to be Brummie and there's not a lot I'll be able to do about it without resorting to mass speech therapy.

So in that respect, it would be good to have less hacky way to design better flags and colours so I can paint the map my particular shade of lime green with an apricot coloured sheep's head. I mean, what else is there?

Last edited:
  • Changing the preferred food consumption of the population. Right now it is mostly bread, with some fish on the side, but factions like the Khuzaits should be mostly meat and dairy (not much good farmland on the steppes). That would, in turn, change the soft cap on prosperity depending on culture.
  • Allowing a mix of different culture notables, depending on who you invite in and who you choose to expel.
  • Various laws that would favor the peasantry (artisans), the merchants, the nobility (landowners and nobles) or the crown, while pissing off the others.
  • Being able to host/vassalize a minor faction, even if limited in some respects so they aren't just another clan.
  • Ability to restrict or encourage armies by raising or lower the influence costs for forming them.

The first is not really difficult (or wasn't...) but it is almost guaranteed to blow up the economy in some way in terms of balance, so probably not something most modders want to take up. The last is pretty easy to do and the last time i tested raising influence costs on armies, nothing bad happened.

The other ones need a more experienced modder to chime in.

Having to occasionally hold court to arbitrate between two of your clans who are at loggerheads with each other. Should be a reasonable chance your decision will upset one or both of them. However sometimes an imposed marriage might mend broken fences.

Example disputes:

1. Son of X killed son of Y in a drunken brawl, sparking a blood feud between their clans.
2. Two clans cattle raiding each other.
3. Failure to pay an inter-clan dowery because the beaten wife ran off and was kidnapped by bandits.
4. Boundary dispute.

Options for 1 might be:
a. Dismiss the case as boys will be boys
b. Force X to pay a blood price to Y
c. Execute X's son.

Options for 2 & 4:
a. Dismiss the case as clans need to raid to train their warriors.
b. Favour clan X over clan Y.
c. Fine both clans for wasting your time.

Options for 3:
a. Agree dowery won't be paid until the husband rescues his wife and locks her up in his dungeon.
b. Insist the dowery is paid anyway.
c. Dissolve the marriage.

Last edited:
Having to occasionally hold court to arbitrate between two of your clans who are at loggerheads with each other. Should be a reasonable chance your decision will upset one or both of them. However sometimes an imposed marriage might mend broken fences.

Example disputes:

1. Son of X killed son of Y in a drunken brawl, sparking a blood feud between their clans.
2. Two clans cattle raiding each other.
3. Failure to pay an inter-clan dowery because the beaten wife ran off and was kidnapped by bandits.
4. Boundary dispute.

Options for 1 might be:
a. Dismiss the case as boys will be boys
b. Force X to pay a blood price to Y
c. Execute X's son.

Options for 2 & 4:
a. Dismiss the case as clans need to raid to train their warriors.
b. Favour clan X over clan Y.
c. Fine both clans for wasting your time.

Options for 3:
a. Agree dowery won't be paid until the husband rescues his wife and locks her up in his dungeon.
b. Insist the dowery is paid anyway.
c. Dissolve the marriage.
Thank you. Some really nice ideas.

Political systems. Currently every kingdom in the game operates exactly the same, and it absolutely sucks. So I would like my kingdom, and by extension, all the other ones as well, to have a chance to diverge in different directions politically. Republics, parlimenary monarchies, absolute monarchies, unified tribes etc. I would like there to be actual, mechanical differences to how those run. And then, when I get to create my own kingdom, I would get to make it run how I envision it, within what the mechanics would allow.

Back
Top Bottom