What caused you to be joyous on this day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harkon Haakonson said:
*Reads Mrs. Dryvus' post

What the ****. How does a company with chatting and laid back people with that many crazy benefits doesn't go bankrupt in half a year? :lol:
What do you do again?
Because it's in Canada?

Oh man, my Gran found a box with lots of my old PS1 games I thought I lost. Among them is Tomba! That game was my childhood.

Harkon Haakonson said:
*Reads Mrs. Dryvus' post

What the ****. How does a company with chatting and laid back people with that many crazy benefits doesn't go bankrupt in half a year? :lol:
What do you do again?

I'm a Senior Environmental Associate. I'll be specializing in energy and mining accounts, supposedly. I was very lucky that this was my first real job. I didn't at all expect to get one this good, especially after so short a job search. Oh, and what made me happy today was that a coworker told me that my boss told them that, despite having interviewed a lot of people before me, he knew that he was going to hire me within the first few minutes of the interview.

They're spending so much money and time to train me, but they're doing well financially, so they can afford it. No one is rushing me with my work at all. I've actually been offering to go at a quicker pace, but everyone keeps telling me that I can take as long as I want with the training; it's about quality of training for them. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. You can tell that they're genuinely happy to work here. The bosses also have been arranging for a bunch of departments to take me out to coffee shops and restaurants over the past few days, just to introduce themselves to me. I went out for coffee/tea three times today. I've started ordering everything sugarfree and diet, just so that I don't gain weight. My title sounds important, but I'm really not that high up in the company. They do this for everyone. It must cost a lot.

Oh, and everyone swears like crazy, including my boss. It's like, as long as your work is done and done well by the deadline, and as long as you're generally a likeable person, they don't care what goes on. Basically, the kind of people that they hire are all similar. We're very ambitious people, but laid-back at the same time. So, from what I've seen of my coworkers, they do their jobs well and don't half-ass anything, but they have fun while doing it. It's almost like hanging out with your friends, and taking breaks in between to get work done. 

Wolfhead said:
Because it's in Canada?

No, I wish most companies here were like that. My friends aren't working at places like this, even in other corporate jobs. My company has been rated one of the best companies to work for in Canada for about a decade now. It's a really young, fashionable workplace. The company seems to have developed a really good, almost counter-intuitive, method of productivity here. Also, from what I've heard, because the training is so good and unique, older employees (30s+) from here get snatched up for higher positions at other companies all the time.

Waw, good stuff. You much deserve congratulations for landing such an utopic job, that sounds incredible and even makes me jealous. I won't get half of those benefits as a doctor. :lol:
Might seem like a silly thing to say, but it seems like you're bound for great success.

And yeah, that was what I was hinting at , "counter-intuitive" method of productivity and company success. And I wasn't even being snappy, it's just genuinely comforting and a nice surprise to know companies with such a laidback attitude can thrive and train great personnel. One imagines the top companies as soulless corporations, after all. :razz:

Teofish said:
If you have Dino crisis and Resident Evil 1 I'm throwing myself on a plane to Brazzerstan tomorrow.
I do have Dino Crisis 2 and Resident Evil 3. I had 2 as well, but I don't know where it is.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Waw, good stuff. You much deserve congratulations for landing such an utopic job, that sounds incredible and even makes me jealous. I won't get half of those benefits as a doctor. :lol:
Might seem like a silly thing to say, but it seems like you're bound for great success.

And yeah, that was what I was hinting at , "counter-intuitive" method of productivity and company success. And I wasn't even being snappy, it's just genuinely comforting and a nice surprise to know companies with such a laidback attitude can thrive and train great personnel. One imagines the top companies as soulless corporations, after all. :razz:
It's a really great environment that they've cultivated. It's still work, though, or else the company wouldn't be so profitable. About two or three months out of the year, things get seriously hectic around the place, I've been told. From what I hear, people get stressed out and less talkative for a week out of those months when all of these reports are due. Also, in between chatting and going for coffee, I see my coworkers working really busily and making tons of phone calls. They take their work seriously, even coming in on Saturdays sometimes to finish something before a deadline. But the rest of the time in the day, they're all relaxed and they don't seem upset when they stay late. They're never asked to stay late, and we never have the bosses checking up on us each day. We all work very independently from our bosses. You have your job to do, and the bosses know in the end if you've done it well or not.

I'm not under the illusion that the company gives us these perks at great expense to itself because it simply cares. It's still a capitalist enterprise. The company does it all because it literally pays to have happy employees. And they've somehow managed to isolate a specific type of person that they want to hire that can have this much freedom but not slack off when there is work to be done.

Oh, and in mid-to-late December, our client-businesses are mostly closed for the holidays, so the employees at my work just drink in the office with each other and hang around while doing very little work. I don't know why the bosses have no problem with that, but I'm looking forward to it.

It's because they're an evil front, those organizations always have tons of money. Their lackadaisical approach to work will make it easier for her to pull the rug out from under them and stage a one-woman coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom