What bonus should the Dragon Banner give in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

With banners, the issue is there's only so many 'effects' it can provide game-wise before it becomes too 'fantasy-like'.
Morale being the most common-sense effect a banner would or should give in a battle - it's just not a really good effect gameplay wise as battles last <5 minutes, with the melee fray finishing after a minute or two. Unless the melee in battles actually take a longer time (like in RBM) to resolve, whether you have +10 morale or +25, is barely noticeable.
Same goes with some effects, sure, great to have an added 10% bow accuracy - but it is a 'boring' effect if trying to keep it somewhat realistic still.

With banners, was hoping the bearer would be in the center of the group (not at the outside), and be more...sticky making sure the banner never falls/abandoned. Thereby, possibly adding the ability for you to target X group (by targeting the banner-bearer) with your cavalry - or archer's to face/shoot.
If the banner is left abandoned, sort of signals the morale/formation lost and then you can move your units to target something else.

The current bonus of the dragon banner, the legendary banner that is the keepsake of this game's name, is desired by all the factions to gain legitimacy, and takes half of the campaign to get (okay it's 10% at most) is just terrible. So what do you think the dragon banner should provide?

Do you for example think that it should give multiple bonuses such as 10% damage reduction from both melee and ranged?

Or maybe keep it more on the realistic side where the banner gives something like a 50% decrease to morale shock?

Or perhaps you would like a unique effect that's also powerful such as a 0,5 Health regen/second? Please write down what you think.
I'd personally like to see it prevent troops from retreating in battle, in just that formation, as long as it's equipped. (Wouldn't totally invalidate perks)

You could at least have some fun leading a giant formation of recruits/looters that will effectively never morale break, screaming the Calradic equivalent of "Banzai!"

Not that morale usually breaks until you've usually lost anyways.

chop off one pip from every out of faction speech check.
I swear you used to at least get a pip off Clan Conversion dialogue when you got far enough in the main quest/farce

Actually now that I think about, whoever carries banner should probably generate +1 Influence a day for Clan too. Definitely be helpful for newbies trying to create a Kingdom first time.

It should give a morale bonus that's it, anything else will feel either useless to the player, too op, or way too gamey.

With banners, the issue is there's only so many 'effects' it can provide game-wise before it becomes too 'fantasy-like'.
Morale being the most common-sense effect a banner would or should give in a battle - it's just not a really good effect gameplay wise as battles last <5 minutes, with the melee fray finishing after a minute or two. Unless the melee in battles actually take a longer time (like in RBM) to resolve, whether you have +10 morale or +25, is barely noticeable.
Same goes with some effects, sure, great to have an added 10% bow accuracy - but it is a 'boring' effect if trying to keep it somewhat realistic still.

With banners, was hoping the bearer would be in the center of the group (not at the outside), and be more...sticky making sure the banner never falls/abandoned. Thereby, possibly adding the ability for you to target X group (by targeting the banner-bearer) with your cavalry - or archer's to face/shoot.
If the banner is left abandoned, sort of signals the morale/formation lost and then you can move your units to target something else.
I agree that morale boosts seems too low to really effect battles because they're so fast but that's a whole other issue in itself.

So, sounds like this is what needs to happen:

* Dragon banner gives +1 daily influence gain for player clan
* Dragon banner gives +50% morale to troops in formation
* Dragon banner reduces ranged/melee damage taken by 25% to troops in formation
* Fix armour protection against arrows so battles last longer, hopefully long enough for morale to actually matter
* Change the "loyalty and honour" perk which currently makes T2+ troops immune to morale effects
* Increase the effects of the morale system so it can kick in before a battle is actually won.

So, sounds like this is what needs to happen:

* Dragon banner gives +1 daily influence gain for player clan
* Dragon banner gives +50% morale to troops in formation
* Dragon banner reduces ranged/melee damage taken by 25% to troops in formation
These effects in conjunction would be too OP. I would actually prefer the damage reduction to be replaced with either +1 settlement loyalty or - 1 required persuasion check with lords (could be both if people think it's too underwhelming to have only one).

This way, the banner would both be realistic in the sense that it only affects battlefield morale (which still can use a bit of tweaking) and also more interesting by affecting more than just battles.

According to the plot, the Dragon banner is an ordinary banner, but endowed with the meaning of the unification of the Empire, or its destruction, depending on whose hands it is in.

I think one interesting mechanic could be accelerating a world conquest for players who want to do that. So having the banner makes enemy lords (who see you flying the banner) assemble most of what they have to fight you in the field in one final series of winner-takes-all battles. I get the impression that this is what the conspiracy quest is supposed to be.

should look better. Have better bonuses like reduced ranged and melee damage. There should be a possibility after losing the battle of losing it. the group carrying the banner should be distinguished by some golden glow or something. Units should chase the banner team more fiercely :wink:

I think one interesting mechanic could be accelerating a world conquest for players who want to do that. So having the banner makes enemy lords (who see you flying the banner) assemble most of what they have to fight you in the field in one final series of winner-takes-all battles. I get the impression that this is what the conspiracy quest is supposed to be.
That actually sounds like an interesting idea.

Story mode would have a proper conclusion, instead of immediately going back to sandbox mode with a banner that... really doesn't do anything at all.

I guess after all the cutscenes, the player could still choose to keep on playing, à la Civilization V.

Last edited:
According to the plot, the Dragon banner is an ordinary banner, but endowed with the meaning of the unification of the Empire, or its destruction, depending on whose hands it is in.
This is the logical answer, but since regular banners have buffs, dragon banner should have more.

To the title: I guess giving loyalty and influens would be cool.

I think it should make clan leaders that have good relation come and ask to join. Clan leader without kingdom. Including rebel clan that lost their feif. should obviously be culture correct. Not empire lords coming when your task is to destroy them.

Morale: % positive morale application for the carrying group as opposed to a % negative morale for the opposing group in battle scenario (both simulated and in-mission).

Exclusive troops: In-game reference is made to the Vaegir guard on several occasions; here are some examples:
This is the best idea for the Dragon Banner

I usually recruit Varyag Veteran and keep them as the player assigned troops. Of course upgrade them to the most lvl as the "guard"

Back
Top Bottom