What be on yer mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dante Alighieri said:
I have a question, I've been wondering about it today. A lot of the members on here are not American, I'm curious as to you guys learned English? Like is it a norm in some of your countries to know English? Just blatant curiosity.

Surprisingly, America isn't the only country that speaks English as a native language, as well as European countries generally teaching their kids to speak more than one language.

I started speaking English before I entered school.

It wasn't just mandatory, ~80% of my classes were taught in English at all levels. Social Studies, Filipino and Chinese were the only ones taught in other languages, and by the time maybe a third of my mandatory education had finished, even Social Studies was taught in English.

Sir Hitson Winsler said:
Dante Alighieri said:
I have a question, I've been wondering about it today. A lot of the members on here are not American, I'm curious as to you guys learned English? Like is it a norm in some of your countries to know English? Just blatant curiosity.

Surprisingly, America isn't the only country that speaks English as a native language, as well as European countries generally teaching their kids to speak more than one language.
Yeah, shocking that England speaks English.

I started speaking English when I was between 1 and 2 years old. I'd go as far to say that I'm a native speaker, but then again I'm not American, so I can't be.

Tralfaz said:
/stirs Earl Gray tea  "Why, yes sir, it is."

:lol:

That's because Earl Gray Grey was a person.

Oh, it is spelt Grey, so what America does is spell a man's name wrong.

Dante Alighieri said:

It's good that you're curious about stuff like this that goes on outside the States, but you really could've thought a second or two longer before forming that question  :lol:

Anyroad. Lots of time wasted with TV (in Finland foreign shows are subtitled, not dubbed) and video games gave me a nice foundation for learning the language before they started to teach it at 3rd grade.

Guess I was lucky; the nearest elementary school where I lived was language centric, and I was in the first class that was taught english instead of russian. This gave a good base to build upon with video games, TV and books.

mITIj.jpg

What now? A country name in another language is different to taking a name of someone and changing it.

Jens Stoltenberg isn't known as John Smallpenis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom