What are you reading now?

Users who are viewing this thread

I finished that awful, awful "book" I was posting about beforehand. This has been my first contact with "Christian speculative fiction". I sincerely hope not all of that lot are the same, because here God would basically offer things to the main character, who wanted said things and so did as God wanted; then the main character died (or would find himself in an impossible-to-escape situation) and God would rush in to the rescue and save him using miracles of some sort. On at least three separate occasions.
I'm a believer (in some uncertain form of God or another), yet I found that I was contemplating becoming an atheist just because of the amounts of bollocks inside the book.

DO NOT read this book. It gave me PTSD, and I'm not even kidding.

As a parting gift, I leave you with the cover of the second book, because of course it's a series; and with the knowledge that the author may have shelled out about $200 for EACH of these.
20621765.jpg

And here's the first one again, just as a refresher:
18744221.jpg

It can always get worse...

I'm gleefully back to re-reading the Discworld novels. Thank God they exist.

Llew said:
homicuda said:
Reading a wonderfull The Hussite Trilogy by Andrzej Sapkowski . It is the best combination of historical novel with phantasy that I've ever read

Well ****. Didn't know there was more from him. To bad there's no English translation.
It is very strange. Russian translation exists and there is no English......

Just finished Eisenhorn: Xenos.

Coudnt be better. Had some really awesome moments and quotes, and it actually kinda game me some nostalgia of some RPGs such as KOTOR 1 (the party in the ship and all). I think its the first novel i read that is in first person but it was actually quite well done.

I think I tried to read it but dropped it. Something about some guys pushing a dead guy through the snow?
I just read Kafka's story about the penal colony. Bretty dank tbh

Finally started with Erikson's Forge of Darkness, which I had lying around on my desk since its release in 2012.
Man, I missed Erikson's style.
I love this. The deep world, the complete lore, the vague connections it allows the reader to make on their own.
Good characters and it's really cool to learn the background of a lot of the original series' lore.

Rather makes me want to re-read the Malazan books as well, considering I now spent multiple hours clicking through hundreds of articles on the wiki trying to remember all the bloody characters and connections. Trying and failing, mind.

Or maybe I'll just re-read the glory that is Deadhouse Gates. Just for heartbreak of Coltaine and his chain of dogs. :cry:

I loved the malazan books at first, but eventually reading them became a chore that I did simply to satisfy my curiosity. The plots all seemed to resolve as a giant magical dickwaving competition between gods (and mortals who happen to have the power to match gods, although what form this power was was always annoyingly vague) ending with the not very surprising surprise that a giant uber phallus was going to burst through the ground near the end, spaff all over anyone but the main characters and then **** off somewhere.

I think I'd rather read a summary of FoD than actually start a new trilogy. Although three books is a lot less than ten, and I guess they would probably be enjoyable.

Wellenbrecher said:
Finally started with Erikson's Forge of Darkness, which I had lying around on my desk since its release in 2012.
Man, I missed Erikson's style.
I love this. The deep world, the complete lore, the vague connections it allows the reader to make on their own.
Good characters and it's really cool to learn the background of a lot of the original series' lore.

I'll probably need to re-read it before the next one comes out, I simply didn't understand much of damn anything that was going on.

So, with all the Total War hype, I became interested in the Warhammer universe. Any good ones you guys can suggest, from the medieval fantasy setting, not 40K?

I remember reading some book back when I was a tween called Beasts in Velvet - it had a Jack the Ripper gothic detective theme goin' on (so not really sure if it's representative of the Warhammer Universe in a traditional sense), but I remember it being decent at the time - lots of sex and murder and I think a bit of Chaos too. No idea if it holds up or not though, it might be cringe-worthy.  :lol:

5191GXS72NL.jpg

Eh, it happens with many 'mass' produced books, actually. Same thing with Drizzt books. Ony the last trilogy, Neverwinter, costed about 10€ each book, the others were less than 5 each. That's one reason I like these books, they provide with a cheap alternative.

I was reading Anna Karenina but after Levin's wedding and all that I feel bored with it and I might give it up. I started reading the Tyrant series by Christian Cameron. Very riveting stuff, I'm devouring it at a quick pace.

Finished Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by Le Carre over the weekend. Very typical him, slow and detailed build up to a surprisingly tense and satisfying conclusion. All expertly written as is to be expected.

Started and almost finished The Humans by Matt Haig. Bit unusual this one, its written as a diary of an Alien who abducts someone, clones them and tries to integrate back into society, his family and work. For reasons I won't spoil. What started out as light hearted and funny has gotten very deep and a bit sad. Really good read so far though (I'm only a few chapters from finishing) and do recommend.

Back
Top Bottom