What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

After more MX-5 racing during the weekend I found that while heel-and-toe gets all the spotlight on the internet (I still can't do it for ****), it is the left foot braking that improved my times by more than a 1,5 seconds. Mainly due to having more sensitivity in my legs when I don't have to change the pedals that often. Suddenly my trail braking sort of works.

Which brings me to my question - is there a sort of (sim)racing 101 guide somewhere on the internet that helps with one's driving? Something going over all the techniquest, suitable racing lines, tips and tricks and so on? I would die for a pdf that helps me in a somewhat more effective way than just trying what works and what does not :lol:

Loop Hero.

I've got 450 hours in it already between my PC and Switch copies. I think I mostly play for the insanely amazing soundtrack, but there's also something really relaxing and soothing about the idle aspect of it.

I've been playing a lot of FFXIV lately. The new update just dropped, so I'm trying to catch up in the post-MSQ quest line to unlock the new stuff. But boy, playing again makes me remember that Endwalker and Shadowbringers were way too good. I still don't quite believe an MMO could give that kind of storytelling. I really hope FFXVI will follow the same path, and return Final Fantasy to the beloved series it used to be. Should be possible, now that Nomura isn't there to ruin everything.

German 520 HP five-litre sixteen-cylinder spaceship on the worst roads Czechia can offer. You probably cannot get more ridiculous and insane track and car combo.

"When in doubt, flat out." - Bernd Rosemeyer, probably.

A challenge in the Czech Assetto Corsa community - get the best time on Semetín rally course with Auto Union Type C. Still nearly a month to go to improve our times.

I revisited Exanima because this popped out of nowhere.

They added a new arena mode where you play as a gladiator manager. It's really fun once you know how to move around. When I last played that game the arena was only an arcade style of matches.

KoH2, caved in without waiting for proper reviews, definitely in honeymoon period right now, but so far it is what I wanted from the game, with minor hiccups here and there. Can definitely see how it could be disappointing for someone else, though, reviews calling it KoH1.5 are pretty much on point.

Battles are awful, enemy marshal just suicide charges right into your army, so I haven't even had an occasion to check if the VP thing they have introduced to win makes sense. Probably not, at best they're discouraging corner camping, but then they also prevent any major maneuvers, because they're at the spawn points, so you need to meet your opponent somewhere half way.

Dwarf Fortress' Steam release is really good. To be ability to use a mouse, and with an actual decent UI, is insane. Never thought it would happen for DF.
Wow, the ability to use a mouse? In 2022?? Maybe they'll have a VR version in 20 years, when everyone else will use advance haptics and hologram interfaces! :grin:
I'm schadenfreuding the DF brothers for their complete disregard of player quality of life until **** hit the can (we can thank US healthcare for DF with an UI). And now it's too late to make the kind of money that gives financial security. The lesson is: you can be neurodivergent in your free time, but be professional in your work.

Edit: I also play Cyberpunk now, half-way through the second playthrough. It's a good game that could have been great.

Last edited:
bizarre false dichotomy.

thankfully they're on steam's top selling, with overwhelmingly positive reviews. you should play it, it's a good time.
I'm sure the few loyal thousands would be thrilled, but Rimworld was fully released 4 years ago and you don't need DF after that and many other games that scratched that itch.
Even immediately after its release, DF is played by less people than Rimworld (source Steam Most Played). Even Bannerlord has more players! :grin:

Wow, the ability to use a mouse? In 2022?? Maybe they'll have a VR version in 20 years, when everyone else will use advance haptics and hologram interfaces! :grin:
I'm schadenfreuding the DF brothers for their complete disregard of player quality of life until **** hit the can (we can thank US healthcare for DF with an UI). And now it's too late to make the kind of money that gives financial security. The lesson is: you can be neurodivergent in your free time, but be professional in your work.

Edit: I also play Cyberpunk now, half-way through the second playthrough. It's a good game that could have been great.

The game is nearly twenty years old, so it's still awesome to see it. It's not like this is a complete remake though. It's just the same twenty year old game with some accessibility options it never had. And considering two brothers have been making it for free over the last two decades, and that one of them is sick? Yeah, I'd say it is still very impressive, especially since no other game in the genre has even reached a sliver of what Dwarf Fortress has accomplished. :smile:

I'm sure the few loyal thousands would be thrilled, but Rimworld was fully released 4 years ago and you don't need DF after that and many other games that scratched that itch.
Even immediately after its release, DF is played by less people than Rimworld (source Steam Most Played). Even Bannerlord has more players! :grin:

Rimworld is nothing like Dwarf Fortress though? Unless the only thing that qualifies it is the "colony sim" tag? The complex simulation and cultural/historical/etc mechanics of DF alone makes the difference between the two games staggering. And that's not discussing the numerous other complex systems DF has that no other colony sim has yet to reproduce. There's also tons--and I mean tons--more freedom in how you can play, down to the most bizarre and hilarious and also terrifying manners possible in DF.

Rimworld is a colony simulator with some RPG and strategy mechanics thrown in, as its primary focus is more on survival. It's the more shallow cousin of DF (though I am not saying RW is bad, before anyone gets angry) where it only begins to itch the same scratch with nearly 100 different mods installed.

If all someone wants is a nice interface to manage a simple colony, than Rimworld is their best bet. If they want something more complex and engaging, with an insanely deep generation mechanic for basically everything, Dwarf Fortress is the game to go to.

Rimworld is a colony simulator with some RPG and strategy mechanics thrown in, as its primary focus is more on survival. It's the more shallow cousin of DF (though I am not saying RW is bad, before anyone gets angry) where it only begins to itch the same scratch with nearly 100 different mods installed.
Just because you can do something in a game, it doesn't mean it's worth doing or fun beyond trying it once. DF is full of obscure overly complex stuff that didn't need to be complex and only adds to unfun micromanagement. DF over the years was developed in random divergent directions that no one asked for (like detailed history and world building) that's only useful if you play the half-assed roguelike mode and has no consequence for colony players. And all many players wanted was a user interface, but the DF bros were not interested in player needs, like some kind of sociopaths. Even if your game is free and you could do whatever you want as an author, the game is meant for the players. That's the ultimate meaning of making a game and publishing it.
Rimworld is a finely distilled version of DF with a hugely thought out game mechanics instead of random self-indulgent crap that were many DF updates. I'm a purist that tends to like minimalist design that works well, over a ton of arcane mechanics and content no one will use. You can like DF all you want for sentimental reasons, but Rimworld has superior gameplay.

Just because you can do something in a game, it doesn't mean it's worth doing or fun beyond trying it once. DF is full of obscure overly complex stuff that didn't need to be complex and only adds to unfun micromanagement. DF over the years was developed in random divergent directions that no one asked for (like detailed history and world building) that's only useful if you play the half-assed roguelike mode and has no consequence for colony players. And all many players wanted was a user interface, but the DF bros were not interested in player needs, like some kind of sociopaths. Even if your game is free and you could do whatever you want as an author, the game is meant for the players. That's the ultimate meaning of making a game and publishing it.
Rimworld is a finely distilled version of DF with a hugely thought out game mechanics instead of random self-indulgent crap that were many DF updates. I'm a purist that tends to like minimalist design that works well, over a ton of arcane mechanics and content no one will use.

Thousands of people over nearly two decades would greatly disagree with you on that. Dwarf Fortress is exactly fun because of all the things you can do in it, because some people don't want a puddle colony simulator. They want a colony sim that feels like it's actually created a breathing world, with far reaching management options like construction, economy, colony and so on and so forth. People wouldn't be playing micromanagement colony sims if they didn't like the micromanaging, after all, and anyone looking for colony sims where they can brain-dead it out and or barely do any micromanaging want a different sort of game anyway. Though the fact that it's only a few thousand short of players than Rimworld in just 1 day should exactly say that these types of games are very popular, whether they are extremely complex or not.

And what do you mean by "no one asked for"? These systems are popular because people like them. It's even well known because of its generation systems. The DF community especially loves the history and world building, it's part of the reason Adventure Mode is so popular and why we have so many DF knock-offs, including Rimworld.

Wait a second....what makes you think they weren't interested in player needs? You're assuming ill-intent and there's absolutely no need or evidence to do so. Tarn mentioned wanting to do an interface overall back in 2010 and even before that, but stated it was his "weakness" in code/design, and so he wanted to focus on adding new content instead. I would hardly call the lack of time and money, or skill, being the same as being uninterested.

You can like DF all you want for sentimental reasons, but Rimworld has superior gameplay.

Sentimental? Honestly, this is just about Dwarf Fortress not being your cup of tea, rather than it actually being "unfun". And Rimworld has one thing going for it, which now DF has--interface/graphics. The gameplay honestly isn't as impressive as you're making it out to be and most of what people hype about the game directly comes from mods rather than vanilla....

Back
Top Bottom