What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Banished didn't "invent" that kind of game either, it's just that it was the first of its kind in a long time. If Germans had spend less of their cultural energies on churning out simulations of their brainless industrial jobs, we might have more Settlers type games as part of the wider RTS revival happening right now. It's just that it's not a very popular or clearly demarcated genre as games tend to lean either to full modern citybuilders (minus the resource management) or full traditional RTS games (minus the population management).

Jurassic World Evolution. It's on humble bundle this month and I spent most of my 8 hours so far chilling to observe the dinosaurs. Not the most challenging or intense game but if you're a fellow hopeless dinosaur enthusiast, it's great. (But I suppose I can see why some people weren't all that happy with the game.)
edit: pls look at him. puppyface.
unknown.png

the wider RTS revival happening right now.

I hope to the good Lord that this is the case but I still feel that RTS is a vanity project at best for most larger companies, and too daunting a market for indie developers. What titles would you consider part of this revival? The last truly innovative new RTS I played was Sins of a Solar Empire (which is still absolutely fantastic) in 2008. The only ones I'm looking forward to right now are re-releases or rehashes - Iron Harvest (Company of Heroes with mechs and dieselpunk flavour), Age of Empires III Definitive Edition and Battle for Middle Earth II Reforged, a glorified fan project which exists under the perpetual threat that EA will remember they made a good strategy game once and terminate them with extreme prejudice.

I mean more like a resurge in interest for these titles with remasters and indie projects popping up. During the MOBA craze RTS games were practically dead, but once people finally realised league of legends is a horrible game, Interest in the competitive side seems to have driven the demand for them.

I dunno I suppose I'm still skeptical and maybe sore after the untimely death of Dawn of War III, which, barring a few bad design decisions, was actually innovative (somewhat), intuitive and probably the most functional and potentially competitive RTS Relic ever put out.

It's especially bad to me that the Remasters getting the most attention are of titles considered to be classics but are in truth some of the most stale games in the genre (Age of Empires II, Warcraft III).

I have just start playing Stoneshard myself. The game has a reputation for sadism, and given that I am having problems finishing the tutorial I would say it is well warranted. It is strangely refreshing though given how most modern games tend to make things a little too easy.

FfBgy.jpg

I'm sure you're all dying to know if I finished the scenario after all and you'll be pleased to hear that I did indeed!

After some experimentation, I concluded that the formula for the size of raider groups emphasizes technology era more than current population, so I had been doing the exact opposite of what I should have. This time I blobbed up to ~ 100 pop before unlocking Bronze Age and ~150 before Iron Age. Other than that, you really gotta spam towers AND manually disable towers in the sections where raiders are not attacking at the moment. The AI doesn't send them to all towers, it tries to only man those towers that are facing the general direction of the attack, but it still deploys archers to towers that are out of range, diluting your firepower.

4uSvP.jpg
Ij8XD.jpg
Zri_M.jpg
gC4CO.jpg
They showed up after a winter that I had spent forcing everyone to upgrade buildings from mud bricks to stone, which si considered hard, menial labor and drains morale very quickly. I think they killed off maybe 15 people out of 106. It was pretty close, any more and the economy/morale cycle would have probably collapsed.
5vt21.jpg
q_Qb5.jpg

Thanks. It did eat more time than I care to admit and if the Steam achievement statistics are to be trusted, only 0.3% of players bothered completing it. So I guess I am a legit gamer now. Ready to rise up at a moment's notice.

So, Stoneshard has a mechanic were you get wounds from receiving damage. Wounds generate pain overtime, and once you get past a certain threshold of pain it starts having negative effects (that eventually can actually kill you if you just let it go). You can counter that with certain items, including alcohol.

My character is Dwarf berserker-ish kind of guy, and I am having wielding two axes. He starts out with minimal defenses, so when I started my second dungeon I got my rear ended to me and had to retreat back to town to heal up. I had multiple wounds on me and the pain had piled up so high that it was about to kill me. I barely made it back to town, realized that I couldn't sleep because the pain was too severe, then proceeded to get completely wasted on brandy to get the pain low enough that I could sleep. I woke up at 6 am, pain was still there and growing because of my untreated wounds, so I went back to the barman and got myself drunk again until it was on manageable levels. Then I treated my wounds and got things back to semi normal.

NznYo.png

Now I am heading back to that same dungeon. Of course there also is a sanity mechanic, and after all of that my character is losing it and is just a little deranged. But here he is, soaking wet from the rain, leg wound still healing, still intoxicated from all the booze but still going on with his business. It's gonna be fiiiiiine.

Just American things.

My other favorite was learning that you had to actually prepare your taxes yourself or pay someone to do it if like most people you found the tax code here very hard to decipher.

Back
Top Bottom