What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Teofish said:
The guy has a good mod set-up,  and he's really good. Also helps that he creates quite interesting characters and is pretty solid on roleplaying.
Really good huh? I don't consider Oblivilol a high skill cap game so I'm not sure what that means. :razz: But do share the LP, raised some curiosity.

Good LP'er dorkbag. And with OOO and DR6 or UV3 it actually gets pretty unforgiving.

Here's a link to the guy's channel. He mostly does TES and flight sims. Haven't really watched the latter.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jingles1215

I must admit I was curious as well. But his latest upload is Let's Play Morrowind 29. That sounds much more interesting than Oblivion. :lol:

Maybe not. But Rome was pretty great. Also the setting's kind of the selling point. And it's not directly bad gameplay-wise, just not much of an improvement over the last installment. And there are tons of great mods for it.

Yeeeah. Had at least one major 'downgrade,' though. Wall segments were extremely variable, but units could no longer on multiples if they were too big for one.
And in hindsight, the inability for towers to fire without defending units next to them feels like someone was just compensating for the fact that the AI was a dumb **** that couldn't take the long way around enemy walls.
Also, you need an expasion and then a mod if you want to have boiling oil, a feature since the beginning in the previous game, available at all in the normal campaign.

Teofish said:
You dislike it? Why?

Basically everything about it. Maybe I just played it too much, but after the fluidity of rome 1 and the dynamic situations of shogun 1, med2 was clunky and bland. Imo it's the "safest" total war with every feature you'd expect, but nothing to make combat or the campaign interesting. It's focussed on a massive time period and represents none of it properly, with boring cloned factions and hundreds of identically functioning units.

None of the mods really fixed it either. Everything in combat is a hard-scripted workaround, meaning when you do something unexpected like try to split your army, the AI craps itself and follows one unit or keeps repositioning. It assumes these impressively complex formations only to charge you with them in a messy blob that's easy to defeat. The weird mechanics are really easy to exploit, especially odd, clunky cavalry charges which were a needless step down from rome 1.

A lot of franchise mods (warhammer, tatw) sort of saved med 2 by bringing in droves of post-buyers, as it was the last of the engine that any layman could add assets to (not necessarily a bad thing). The problem was how many of these mods left the game's weird and rickety mechanics intact due to hard limits which took the community years to overcome, making most of them feel exactly the same as vanilla in combat.

Also cavalry do 180° turns instantly while they take ages to do 90° turns. Wtf.

It's tolerable if you know how to circumvent the silly limitations. Like telling cavalry to run to a spot right behind an enemy unit instead of giving them an attack order.

Archers are overpowered if anything. In field battles at least. I've absolutely raped full stacks of Turkish late game units with half a stack of Byzantine Guard Archers.

I admit that I've never used Byzantine Guard Archers in vanilla, but I can't imagine they'd be much better than the highest-tier English archers, who seem to maybe, at best, kill one or two guys per volley, and maybe 3 or 4 if it's direct fire on a flat plane. My experience has been that it's top-tier crossbowmen and musketeers or nothing in terms of ranged units.

Back
Top Bottom