What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

:lol: Sounds fun. I transplanted the Danes to North Africa once. Fun times. And in RTR I moved the Britons to Mesopotamia and pretended they were a resurgent Hittite empire.

I have a unit roster expansion mod for them that gives them some slightly more useful mid-high tier units. Especially some shock infantry with slightly better armour values. It'll take a while to get them. But the low tier hoplites aren't that dangerous if you flank them properly. And I'll definitely start out with battle difficulty on medium.

Teofish said:
I have a unit roster expansion mod for them that gives them some slightly more useful mid-high tier units.

[me=jacobhinds] vomits and leaves the room, muttering something about conquering the world with vanilla levy freemen as the mark of a true man[/me]

Teofish said:
But the low tier hoplites aren't that dangerous if you flank them properly. And I'll definitely start out with battle difficulty on medium.

They're not dangerous if you can flank them, but everyone in the Diadochi has access to units designed specifically to stop you from doing that, and it's really difficult as a light-infantry-focused barbarian faction to get rid of those units. The eastern Seleukid vassals are even worse and will throw stacks of skirmisher cavalry your way if you try and expand up that way.

jacobhinds said:
[me=jacobhinds] vomits and leaves the room, muttering something about conquering the world with vanilla levy freemen as the mark of a true man[/me]
:lol: I made sure it's fairly well balanced before I installed it. It mostly just adds some more tribe-specific units. Only really silly unit is the reintroduction of the Picti Head Hurlers, which I just missed so much from Rome 1 I don't care.

jacobhinds said:
They're not dangerous if you can flank them, but everyone in the Diadochi has access to units designed specifically to stop you from doing that, and it's really difficult as a light-infantry-focused barbarian faction to get rid of those units. The eastern Seleukid vassals are even worse and will throw stacks of skirmisher cavalry your way if you try and expand up that way.
My slingers should be able to deal with their stupid dart players, mounted or not. They're just as mobile as the foot skirmishers, more numerous than the mounted ones, and with better range and accuracy than both to boot.

Crusader Kings 2, I started in 867 as some country in Sweden and I now have Empire of Scandinavia and have 2 counties in England and 1 county in East Francia, and I also vassalized those useless idiots on Iceland and a couple of I lands below it. I also hold a lot of counties in Russia but that kinda stopped now they have formed the Kingdom of Rus. I kind of want to reform the religion but those idiots in Jorvik keep losing ground so the religion loses moral authority, and I still can't openly attack East Francia because they are still allies with Lotharinga, Italy etc, but the christian heresies are coming so I hope that helps me a bit. And I don't know how this happend but suddently Castille is in England now Iberia is 100 percent muslim. West Francia also has a decent part in England and Scotland is really big so I'll probably have to attack Ireland first. Also the Swedes and Danes are developing their own cultures, is that bad? Should I settle tribes there?

So I'm continuing to play agar.io. At first I thought it was a game about blobs eating each other, simple, nothing much to it. The difficulty of the midgame seemed like a flaw, until I realized the way to do it is to form an alliance with one of the large blobs, and that transformed my perception of the game completely. See, if all you could do was move and divide, it would just be a game about blobs. But you can also eject mass for other blobs to pick up, which serves no function in terms of the raw gameplay mechanics but provides a basic method of communication. Shooting your mass into another blob is a proposal, getting mass shot back at you is an affirmation of friendship. Of course many of your so-called allies will turn on you as soon as it's convenient for them, but that's people for you. This simple addition of the ability to ejects a small piece of your mass transforms agar.io from a simplistic game about blobs eating each other into a game about human nature, relationships, and power disparity. It's ****ing Realpolitik: The Game.

jacobhinds said:
Drop dead. :lol:

Seriously, Levy Freemen suck so much that it's a joy to be rid of them and to use something capable instead. Why would anybody want to use them for longer than is absolutely necessary?

In related news, I finally managed to conquer all of the British Isles with my fancy army of Chosen Sword Bands, supported by Chariots and Ballistas. Over the last few turns I've tried to just sit back and build up my buildings and such (balancing gold, food, and public order is something new, to say the least). Now I guess I'll have to go invade the rest of the world. :razz:

Btw, when does the game's campaign start and end? I don't remember when it started; all I know is that it's 199 BC now, if I recall correctly.

When you hit the mainland, go for the Frisii or Cimbri first before tackling the Belgae tribes. They usually have big arse stacks of quite experienced units from all the infighting. And by the time you get there there'll usually be one who's already carved himself a nice little coastal empire in western France. The Frisii and Cimbri usually manage to stay out of the worst fighting, and are often quite easy to take out for some decent starting territories.

Arvenski said:
jacobhinds said:
Drop dead. :lol:

Seriously, Levy Freemen suck so much that it's a joy to be rid of them and to use something capable instead. Why would anybody want to use them for longer than is absolutely necessary?

Levy freemen are the strongest and most cost effective unit in the entire game, by a long, long way. I'm not ****posting.

- they beat oathsworn and other top sword infantry when matched for price. No other spear unit can reliably do this.
- they have a huge missile block chance and can counter horse archers.
- their javelins can be used to defeat much more expensive units -- one in the front and one in the back and there's no way to beat them.
- they counter elephants, even without their javelins.
- they have a charge bonus so high they can beat down sword infantry twice their price.
- they counter chariots more effectively than pikes or hoplites combined.
- they're frikken fast and can chase shock cavalry, tiring them out faster than they do themselves.

In the competitive multiplayer scene you're considered at a disadvantage if your faction doesn't have access to levy freemen. I actually quit my Arverni campaign (on hard/hard) because of how difficult it was to fight wave after wave of levy freemen, and how unchallenging it was to fight the premarian romans.

Decided to check out Elder Scrolls Total War. It's made by Russians, so naturally there are some grammar problems in places. Though far less than I'd feared. And holy ballsacks is this fun! Started out as house Redoran, trying to unite Morrowind under one banner. And hoooey, round ten or so it hits 3E 427, and the ****ing Nerevarine rises! Manage to bribe him to join my side. And now he's, fittingly enough, my faction heir.
Also, Dunmer cavalry ride bloody Guars!

Teofish said:
Decided to check out Elder Scrolls Total War. It's made by Russians, so naturally there are some grammar problems in places. Though far less than I'd feared. And holy ballsacks is this fun! Started out as house Redoran, trying to unite Morrowind under one banner. And hoooey, round ten or so it hits 3E 427, and the ****ing Nerevarine rises! Manage to bribe him to join my side. And now he's, fittingly enough, my faction heir.

That sounds pretty sweet. Which game is it for?

Teofish said:
Okay, I watched a trailer for that, and hoooooly ****. Why the **** is that not an official thing! **** history, **** Warhammer, I want this! In, y'know, like a modern engine and ****.
Welp, time to reinstall Medieval 2 and download this before Bethsoft takes it down, I guess. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom