What are you playing right now?

Users who are viewing this thread

They still have worse writing than a baboon being taught to use toilet paper, which was the point.

Although George Lucas is also a contender for the ****ty writing award in movies as well, and he's rather well-off last I checked.

Trevty2 said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Because there's people who make those things but with slightly less interactivity and bigger budgets and market them as "movies" or "television shows".
But those are different because, as you said, they are less interactive. There's just enough to make the world tactile, in its own way. That's what I love about Dear Esther and Gone Home.

They're different, but at some point you have to wonder whether or not the interactive component is entirely necessary. There are very, very few games which provide for that right level of interactivity while still having a fleshed-out story component to the degree that people expect. The only one I actually thought accomplished that was The Stanley Parable.

In the end, when a medium which is primarily focused on interactivity largely eschews interactivity in favour of allowing the story component to dominate, the final product of that is something which, in my opinion, to this point, has produced narratives wholly inferior to those that can be experienced through other, more storytelling-focused mediums, like books or movies. Even though I enjoyed the Stanley Parable, it was really only a small step above a choose-your-own-adventure book in narrative depth and complexity.

And so that's why you don't see more games from western developers like Gone Home, or Dear Esther, or The Stanley Parable. They're largely able to subsist only as isolated art games, telling stories which generally rely on a specific gimmick or hook related, occasionally clumsily, to the minimal gameplay. They are to storytelling what smell-o-vision was to movies - on paper an idea which has the potential to enhance one's experience, but in execution something which most people just aren't interested. And thus they will remain a niche.

There's a game on Steam called AdVenture Capitalist, a fun little title that can be played in the background while I'm out farming. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying out cookie clicker at the same time, and they blend perfectly to completely annihilate any free time I have.

Send help.

I have no idea how you can get addicted to AdVenture Capitalist, I played it for 0.2 hours and thought it was the most boring thing on earth.

Shatari said:
There's a game on Steam called AdVenture Capitalist, a fun little title that can be played in the background while I'm out farming. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of trying out cookie clicker at the same time, and they blend perfectly to completely annihilate any free time I have.

Send help.
So it's pretty much Clicker Heroes, only instead of raising your DPS you're raising cash.

Well at least I optimized my process now. I play agar.io, then switch the Swarm Simulator when I die to spend the accumulated resources, then back to agar.io.

Speaking of which, I managed to get to top 10 for the first time today. It seems the way to go is to befriend a large blob and assist it with hunting the smaller blobs that are too fast for it.

Started up a new Rome 2 game as the Suebi with the intention of doing my favourite Rome 1 activity. Relocation! Wasn't actually sure it'd work at all, and it has been a bit harder now that I can't help myself along with console commands. But actually all the more fun for it. Moved my whole nation to the Bosphorus region and the Germanic barbarian units are kicking the nomad cultures' arses. Conquered all of Cimmeria and Royal Scythia. Allied with the Thracians of Tylis and the Odrysian Kingdom to ward my Western flanks. Currently engaged in a bitter slugging war with Armenia, who are leeeeagues above what they were in Rome 1. Thus far it's the best campaign I've done so far in this game.
Next project will be to move the Britons to Egypt. I foresee a lot more problems with this one.

You're gonna get royally screwed. The Iceni have no proper way to deal with hoplites or heavy cavalry. Could be a fun campaign though.

I remember doing a similar thing as Russia back when I could still stand to play medieval 2. On the first turn I took my entire army to sScotland and started conquering what England would usually look to claim. It was a Kazak-pocalypse.

Back
Top Bottom