What are the developers doing?

Users who are viewing this thread

SkyTime said:
I'm sorry to come and interfiere again, eventhough our dear admin already told you to go ontopic, but so much is wrong here and what a troll idiot can do for himself? My fingers started tickling.

Caddux, I don't know where you got those conclusions but they're wrong. Osviux had his own opinion, and he thought that it is idiotic to make new games before fixing the old ones which is fine. Everyone has their opinions and as stupid as they can get, nobody should start fighting over them. And a debate is another thing of course but it doesn't involve personal attacks.

Also, Caba`drin is no mere moderator, he is an admin.

Somewhat related to the topic, I think they could have done so much more with Warband, but I guess that wouldn't have been profitable. I still trust in them and believe that Mount&Blade 2 will be epic, and it's a must-get for me when it finally comes out.

WFaS on the other hand, I didn't like it. Only the cooperative multiplayer matches were worth playing imo. I hope they invent cooperative campaing to MnB2 because that would be a boner.

E: Can I also receive some help in the tech support? :C
Caba, I'm counting on you >.>

So you too is another person that thinks that calling the developers of a fine game like M&B idiots is ok? I just wanted to talk about the game, when once more I had to see this Oviuox trolling around. Ok then... enjoy yourselves.

Caba`drin said:
As to this:
caddux said:
Do you think M&B 2 will be set on Calradia?
Since they haven't given any details, anyone's guess is good here. Prior to the international release of WFaS, the few communiques from the devs indicated that they had "taken note" of the community's propensity to create real-world/historical mods. With the relative lack of enthusiasm from the established M&B players expressed toward the international release of WFaS, they noted that they learned what type of games players are more interested in. Whether that was meant to reflect on "standalone expansions" using the current engine vs new games, or a historical setting vs Calradia is likely quite debatable.

I hope they will get the faction names right this time :grin:

Caba`drin said:
Since they haven't given any details, anyone's guess is good here. Prior to the international release of WFaS, the few communiques from the devs indicated that they had "taken note" of the community's propensity to create real-world/historical mods. With the relative lack of enthusiasm from the established M&B players expressed toward the international release of WFaS, they noted that they learned what type of games players are more interested in. Whether that was meant to reflect on "standalone expansions" using the current engine vs new games, or a historical setting vs Calradia is likely quite debatable.

I'm not certain why the reception to it was tepid, but it might have had to do with the buggy condition of it's first release?  But there are elements and features and bits of history in there that are really cool... It's a nice change of pace from the more familiar setting of calradia.  Also, thie WFAS world feels a bit more alive, gritty, real, etc.  OF course the cities were done in a rather rudimentary way, and some details were wrong, etc etc.

But take note of all the mods for M&B that are NOT historical as well.... there are as many if not more mods out there that either enhance the existing campaign, or incorporate elements from other fictional worlds, from middle earth to...halo.  Some of the most popular were historical, but not all of them- diplomacy comes to mind as being a pretty widely-loved mod too.  People DO like the Calradia setting. 

I don't think it's necessarily that people like making historical mods... the fans love making mods, full stop.

The problem with the fans who want historical settings, is that they are too small a number for sales to justify investing much money into development.  Furthermore, people that are interested in historical simulations want them to be as historically accurate as possible.  This presents a few problems: 

1) Not everyone agrees on what is historically accurate.  Not even the people who have spent years studying just one period and culture in history can agree on all the details... and those who disagree will tend to have a disproportionately negative reaction to details that are, in their view, "wrong". 
2) historical accuracy MUST be sacrificed to make a fun game.  Either that, or one must suspend disbelief or simply ignore major details in order to make it work.  Take mount and blade, for example: 

Lets say that you ride into battle with no armor, and are attacked by a group of bandits with bows.  You take a couple arrow hits but are otherwise fine, you kill off the bandits, and then split the loot.  That is what happens in M&B.  In real life, you take a couple of arrow hits, and it's all you can do to just stay on your horse.  After the battle is over, if you didn't die from blood loss, you are very weak and need immediate medical care, probably involving surgery.  Since 12th century medical care basically amounts to applying a moss poultice to your wound and forcing you to imbibe some herbal concoction, your wound becomes infected and you die in misery. 

I think fans like having some make-believe elements around.

It's been years since the first M&B game, and I do wish for more professionalism.

Take a look at Terraria, a game from another indie company.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/

They have a few sub-forums such as the dev blog and patch notes, where the devs often post to gather feedback, keep the players in the loop to show them what they have in store for us, etc. They also patch the game often, adding new stuff.

Basically, the devs communicate with the players a lot.

In contrast, we barely even hear from the Taleworlds devs. We only hear bits and pieces of Project Obvious, relying on mods who in turn tell us what they themselves heard. No news or screenshots of their next game. No patch since June.

I'm quite disappointed with Taleworlds level of professionalism, and I do hope for better support in future. It has come to the point where I no longer look forward to their next game with anticipation, but rather, with wariness. Wariness because they may do what they've been doing for 3 games; release a game, patch it for a few months, then silence.

A little post from the devs themselves surely isn't too much to ask for. They can't make the excuse that they're an indie company so we should cut them some slack. Even other indie games like Minecraft and Terraria are more professional.

The problems with these new games is that most of the things wrong most likely won't be fixed. These new M&B derivative will suffer from the same shortcomings.

Additionally, it seems to me that With Fire and Sword really was little more than a glorified mod in most regards.

Back
Top Bottom