What are some good science books to read?

Users who are viewing this thread

I personally enjoyed Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything

Other than that, for astronomy you should probably check out Hawking or Arthur C. Clark. As far as science books go, I tend to stick to geosciences text books. Although I also found The Cosmic Serpent - DNA and the origins of knowledge (by Jeremy Narby) to be quite enjoyable too.

New Scientist
Ars Technica
Bad Science

Are all great.

If you're looking for books, I'd recommend "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat", and everything else by Oliver Sacks and "The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the frontiers of brain science" by Norman Doidge. There's a much better book on Neuroplasticity I read a while ago, but for the life of me I can't remember it.

At any rate, they're all excellent books, interesting and accessible.

The Demon-haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Cosmos, and The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence, all by Carl Sagan.

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins.

Hyperspace and Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku.

The Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether and the Unification of Forces by Frank Wilczek.

The Accidental Mind: How Brain Evolution has given us Love, Memory, Dreams and God by David Linden.

The Little Book of String Theory by Steven Gubser.

Those are just what I have lying on my desk right now :razz:

The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking and A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Back
Top Bottom