what about hunting?

Users who are viewing this thread

@Noudelle I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind, that every little activity adds debth to the game, which there is a big lack of in Bannerlord right now. Hunting in VC was quite plaine and useless, so were wood hacking, mining, building ships, hiring bards etc. But it gave you the sensation, that there is more in the world of Calradia than just wars and politics. Just compare VC to Warband and you will see, how much of a difference these little, useless things already made.

@Noudelle I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind, that every little activity adds debth to the game, which there is a big lack of in Bannerlord right now. Hunting in VC was quite plaine and useless, so were wood hacking, mining, building ships, hiring bards etc. But it gave you the sensation, that there is more in the world of Calradia than just wars and politics. Just compare VC to Warband and you will see, how much of a difference these little, useless things already made.
I disagree. I'm of the extremely firm belief that real depth comes from tightly focused design, not from throwing dozens of individually inconsequential ideas into the equation.
With that design philosophy, we end up with Bannerlord's combat system which has unfortunately been diagnosed with terminal unfocused design.

Last edited:
I disagree. I'm of the extremely firm belief that depth comes from tightly designed mechanics, not from throwing dozens of individually inconsequential ideas into the equation.
With that design philosophy, we end up with Bannerlord's combat system which has unfortunately been diagnosed with terminal unfocused design.

To be clear, things like that would of course need to get fleshed out "way" more to make sense for Bannerlord, but they are necessary to give the game debth, at least in my opinion. There are allways times, where I just want to do something else than fighting, selling stuff and taking care of politics, no matter how well designed and deep they are, they can not fill those gaps.

There are allways times, where I just want to do something else than fighting, selling stuff and taking care of politics, no matter how well designed and deep they are, they can not fill those gaps.

I disagree with this too. There are plenty of games which are just one thing, like selling stuff or fighting, that are well designed enough for them to be played consistently without needing to take a "break" with a different mechanic.

Take Recettear for example, it's an extremely simple buy / sell game where you spend all your time in the same selling cycle, but it's extremely well designed and there are dozens of implicit mechanics which arise from the complex relationship between player, commodity and customer. You can spend hours coming up with new playstyles that the developers never intended by combining these implicit mechanics. Additionally you spend a lot of in-game time making difficult decisions where there is no clear answer and you have to use your game knowledge to choose what to do. This is what true depth in gameplay is, not just a bunch of bonuses and rewards to goad the player into completing otherwise boring tasks, which is what bannerlord is. And when a microbudget anime game from 2008 has better mechanical depth than a 10 year sandbox RPG made by more turks than manzikert, something is seriously wrong.

To be fair, lords would hunt as well, maybe some type of competition similar to tournaments in warband.

But I agree with your point, this is kind of excessive and would probably be better for a modder than the actual dev team to implement.

Lords owned the trees in the forest and wild animals in their land. Hunting for sport is for lords, not peasants. It’d be a great activity, among other things, to do in addition to feasts and tournaments to boost relation and renown.

Lords owned the trees in the forest and wild animals in their land. Hunting for sport is for lords, not peasants.

This was only true for a portion of the middle ages in very specific places like southern england and northern france. Not only was there no way for anyone to monitor all that land, there was also no way to prevent deer, boars and even bears from leaving the lord's land and wandering onto fields. The majority of hunting across Europe was still done by commoners.

That said hunting is more or less just massacring animals, and unless you can turn it into a stealth thing where you have to actively stalk these things across the landscape (something incongruous with the pace of bannerlord), it'll be yet another half baked minigame that nobody will use.

I disagree with this too. There are plenty of games which are just one thing, like selling stuff or fighting, that are well designed enough for them to be played consistently without needing to take a "break" with a different mechanic.

Take Recettear for example, it's an extremely simple buy / sell game where you spend all your time in the same selling cycle, but it's extremely well designed and there are dozens of implicit mechanics which arise from the complex relationship between player, commodity and customer. You can spend hours coming up with new playstyles that the developers never intended by combining these implicit mechanics. Additionally you spend a lot of in-game time making difficult decisions where there is no clear answer and you have to use your game knowledge to choose what to do. This is what true depth in gameplay is, not just a bunch of bonuses and rewards to goad the player into completing otherwise boring tasks, which is what bannerlord is. And when a microbudget anime game from 2008 has better mechanical depth than a 10 year sandbox RPG made by more turks than manzikert, something is seriously wrong.

I still do think otherwise. I will take Skyrim as an example. The main focus in this game is combat, trade, quests and the skill trees, which support all of them. Those mechanics are pretty well fleshed out already, but there are also things like I mentioned, which are quite simple and don't fullfill any kind of purpose at all. Take wood hacking for example or cooking, eating and drinking, sleeping, reading books, all of those things are plaine and useless, but Skyim really wouldn't be the same without them. I used to collect cooking ingredients for hours or sleep in a bed instead of waiting for 24h, just because it made the game feel more real to me, like i'm actually living a life in there. I'm sure there are great games who easily get along without such things, but Bannerlord isn't one of them in my opinion, because its a game, where you "pretend to live a life" in, you know what I mean?

Skyrim is a bit of an anomaly because it's primarily a comfort / immersion simulator. People don't play it to be challenged or even to have "fun" in the traditional gameplay sense. When people think about stuff they want to do on Skyrim it's never "I wonder if I can use X or Y combination of mechanics to do something" because every mechanic is separated and undynamic. RDR2 is a bit like this, the Sims to some extent, truck simulators to some degree. These games are like the equivalent of a sofa compared to a weightlifting bench.

I really don't think warband or bannerlord are comfort / immersion simulators. Games in that category usually have as few hard transitions as possible, lots of useless but comfy stuff like the ability to do passive activities with your character, very little chance of "losing" even a single encounter, and an open world. Bannerlord has a few of these things, but at the same time the core gameplay is about a high skill ceiling combat system and ridiculously punishing battle and RPG mechanics. Something like hunting would fit about as well into the game as board games currently do, and no amount of player rewards are going to fix that.

Not to sound disagreable or dismissive, but none of these things sound interesting to me for Bannerlord.

1. The starting out as a wanderer part is by far the most boring, least interesting part of M&B. It's nothing more than the grind phase that you have to slog through before you can get to the """good""" stuff. The core of M&B games is war activities such as battles and politics. Hunting has no sensible way of playing into these things in an interesting way.

2. 0 interest in either of those things. I care about peasant relations with The Witcher 3, not in Bannerlord where the sole purpose of peasants is to get themselves killed in the endless Calradian meat grinder.

3. I don't think it added anything of value to VC.

4. I don't think Taleworlds or capable of implementing worthwhile hunting mechanics, and even if they could, these resources could be better spent improving literally anything else in the game. Lord knows it needs it.

In the insane event that hunting ever gets added to the game, I don't see how it can be anything more than a novelty mechanic that gets forgotten about after a few tries. Either that or it becomes another tedious mechanic that you have to power through to get past the early game sleepwalking phase.

the starting is most boring ? for me he is just different, the fights are done in very small numbers and require you to use your personal skills much more

and then the rest of the game is very boring, we do castle sieges all the time, if the open world is so doomed to be empty, and if it's really the developer's will, as much as they remove the open world and only leave a pop-up game with playable battles

Hunting will definitely be an excellent addition to the game...same for jousts. It has everything to do with the time period, it's a nice way to improve(or decrease!) relations, a small reward and a break between wars.
Alas, powergamers will never understand our joy

Hunting will definitely be an excellent addition to the game...same for jousts. It has everything to do with the time period, it's a nice way to improve(or decrease!) relations, a small reward and a break between wars.
Alas, powergamers will never understand our joy
This isn't a powergamer vs reasonable gamer thing.

Here's how I think hunting could work.

* Game animals spawn on the overworld near the player and will roam at random.
* Stags spawn once every day in all areas. Bears spawn once every 3 days in the north, Boar Herds every 3 days in the west, Wolf Packs every 3 days in the east, and Lions every 3 days in the south.
* The animal "troop tree" has 3 tiers: Common, Greater, and Legendary. Higher-tier animals only spawn in the late game, and have faster map speed and higher health.
* When the player gets near a Stag on the world map, it will flee at high speed for a short time, then get "tired" and slow down-- so the player must follow its tracks and catch it once it's "tired". On the other hand, Boars/Bears/Wolves/Lions move in random directions on the world map, and will attack if a small party comes near them. If a large party comes, they will flee.
* Once you enter combat, it goes to a scene battle. The animal (also including stags) will charge at you in a zigzag pattern (making it harder to shoot down on the approach) and attack you in melee for high damage. Animals have morale, and if they are taking too many wounds they will attempt to flee.
* Defeating an animal party grants experience, morale, renown, meat, and furs, with the amount given depending on what tier of animals you fought.

* Lords will occasionally go Out Hunting when not at war; the game spawns an animal nearby for them to chase. The player can join them, and gains relations with the lord if they successfully help bring down prey.

This isn't a powergamer vs reasonable gamer thing.
Yes it is, it always comes to that in the end. You enjoy the game in a certain way, and other people enjoy it differently.
Read your own posts, you pretty much disregard everything that you don't care, apart from stating TW is not capable of implenting hunting. Makes me wonder why you bother then?
I for one don't give a flying monkey about MP, but I reckon lots of players do (I'd bet this includes you) however I won't say TW shouldn't waste time on it just because I don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom