what about hunting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hunting would not only be a way of gaining raw material, it could also be a means of building relations with other lords. I think hunting was a very common activity for nobility as a sport.

Being invited to hunt with the king should be considered an honor

Building relations, and fabricating an accident...

I mean, couldn’t the hunt be handled on the overland map? You track your game until you encounter them, then enter the scene and kill them? It’s gimmicky, but if you dangle a carrot for doing it, people will do it.

Food for your army. Increased relations with lords if you invite them.

It’s gimmicky, but if you dangle a carrot for doing it, people will do it.

People might do it, but they won't necessarily enjoy it. One of the greatest quotes of game design theory is "given the chance, the player will optimise the fun out of a game". If you offer a boring but reliable method for accumulating resources, you're providing a way for them to gain power for zero effort. Because of how the human brain is wired, players will be inclined to do tasks like this even if they are mind numbingly boring. Hunting like you described isn't the most extreme form of this, but it's a problem nonetheless.

People might do it, but they won't necessarily enjoy it. One of the greatest quotes of game design theory is "given the chance, the player will optimise the fun out of a game". If you offer a boring but reliable method for accumulating resources, you're providing a way for them to gain power for zero effort. Because of how the human brain is wired, players will be inclined to do tasks like this even if they are mind numbingly boring. Hunting like you described isn't the most extreme form of this, but it's a problem nonetheless.
That’s an interesting quote. And completely accurate. I should’ve realized that since I come from a tabletop RPG background and have railed against min/maxing for years.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion. I’m not tied to the idea of hunting much.

I thought the simple hunting in Viking Conquest was a really fun addition. Living off the land, earning some cash in the early part of the game, getting knocked unconscious by a wild boar ... what's not to like?

It might be a dumb idea, but a way to insert hunting in the game in a probably easier way would be doing it the way some isometric RPGs do it, basically through dialogue screens, where a narrator describes the scene in a wall of text, like "the boar left se traces deep in the snow and into the forest, you and your party of men decides to..." And then you'd have different choices based in your related skills, and the outcome may also vary depending on said skills.

I thought the simple hunting in Viking Conquest was a really fun addition. Living off the land, earning some cash in the early part of the game, getting knocked unconscious by a wild boar ... what's not to like?
And imagine if hunting will be officially supported
Their work will be more quality and also will be more ideas through mods, Because it is already there and the modders will have easy time to develop more ideas.
1b405287becc376e0ca5f07b125684b6.jpg

+1 maybe as a DLC or future improvement. Not a priority atm.
Red dead redemption 2 has some amazing hunting mechanics for reference.

Personally i think the current travel map does actually stand against hunting as anything than something triggered.
So (seldomly) random spawned hunting camps (similar need to be spotted as hideouts) - where you can join the hunt. With animals being complete low morale troops with the same visibility debuff as bandits in their hideouts, so they directly flee when they spot you and are quite agile.

Now i'd really like to see how a map like the one of Arcanum would feel. So map which was supposedly a huge seamlessly world without much detail (as it was seemingly procedually generated), but a travel map that simply cut up from that and showed thew 'few' points of interests (that were devloped by hand). But if you wanted you could travel through the huge generated map.
For Arcanum this was imo not really worth the effort, but if you'd wanted to add hunting or such, it might be cool. Though i guess it's a lot harder to pull off with the economic system and all that on top.

Hunting was great. Would be nice to see rare chance for epic monster or epic bear/boars on occasion that yield a cape or fur item(shoulders, boots, fur lined helm).

Along with "what happened to hunting", what happened to the ability to build and rest at your own camp where we can talk to our companions and give them gifts?

Back
Top Bottom