WFAS World Cup

Users who are viewing this thread

I think that we should let players from little countries like holland,or norway,or slovakia, to play in some of the teams.Example: italy has ballotelli,germany has many black players or immigratns..

We should allow to participate all players in the world cup,at least,they can join a team,which needs players #(1-2 players join one weak team ex. czech)

Mags mentioned something earlier in regards to this, so I'll just reiterate it again...

There are tons of people from all over the world playing WFAS on any given day.  On top of this, there are even more players from all over the world who are on Warband but who also have WFAS.  So the effort by the few players that lack national teams should not be directed at Mags to change the rules and accommodate mixed teams BUT instead on gathering their countrymen in lobbies of WArBanD and WFAS... I can assure you that you can form teams almost in a week or less.

Nature of World Cup events is designed to showcase a country's pride and unity so allowing mixed teams defeats the purpose of the event.  My point is that a French player joining a French server will find plenty of willing candidates without resorting to mixed team participation.  The problem is a lot of people here tend to rely on friends they knew from before or community status of a specific country, while in reality there are tons of willing MP players in the lobbies are daily playing the game.

Ele

Searg_Kowal said:
I think that we should let players from little countries like holland,or norway,or slovakia, to play in some of the teams.Example: italy has ballotelli,germany has many black players or immigratns..

We should allow to participate all players in the world cup,at least,they can join a team,which needs players #(1-2 players join one weak team ex. czech)

Actually happened. Team Austria told me to join them so we formed team Austria-Hungary basically because of one Hungarian player. You see, sometimes gaming experience can overcome national superiority. Hospitality is so missing from some, I mean MOST countries in WFaS, I'm glad that Austria still has it.

The idea's good Kowalski.

I'm sure most if not all countries playing in this World Cup are hospitable. So you are clearly wrong there.  Besides I would not consider a country to be inhospitable because they didn't "tell you" or "asked" you to join them.  In your case it should come as no surprise. :wink:

Besides no one ever accused England to be "inhospitable" because it would not allow a player from say Burma to play on their World Cup team in football. To even suggest that current WFAS team are not hospitable shows that you don't have a clue as to what World Cup stands for or what hospitality means. 

Ele

Elendil said:
I'm sure most if not all countries playing in this World Cup are hospitable. So you are clearly wrong there.  Besides I would not consider a country to be inhospitable because they didn't "tell you" or "asked" you to join them.  In your case it should come as no surprise. :wink:

Besides no one ever accused England to be "inhospitable" because it would not allow a player from say Burma to play on their World Cup team in football. To even suggest that current WFAS team are not hospitable shows that you don't have a clue as to what World Cup stands for or what hospitality means. 

Ele

You have the right to remain silent. But it may be taken away from you. :wink:

Marth The Gryphonhearted said:
The Magician said:
I will begin working on that all now, as well as schedules.
We just had our 8th team join, the country of Azerbaijan captained by http://steamcommunity.com/id/bigbrotheriswatchinyou/
Bringing the total teams in this tournament to :
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bohemia/Czech Rep.
Brazil
Germany
Poland
Turkey
USA

Azerbaijan!

That means ManiaK will play! Hoorraay!

:wink:)

Two amazing matches took place today... The first one featured the much dreaded German squad taking on Azeri team. It was the first match for both teams and it was interesting to see how each team will be able to adjust to each other and what strategies and tactics they would use. And sadly, as much as I wanted to witness it, i was not able to do so. However, based on an eyewitness account, this match quickly proved to be a very contested event. Despite the score (14-5) in favor of Jubeg's squad, there was plenty of super contested rounds. Congratulations to the tournament favorite (Germany) in making their presence felt in the first match. And we hope to see the Azeri team adjust accordingly for their second match.

The second event taking place today pitted Magician's team USA and Ausrian's led by Polar. I was able to witness this match and partly partake in it, and must admit this was a very interesting bout. The decisive factor in the first stage of the match was undoubtedly flanking movements and good terrain control by the Americans. In a couple of instances, the Austrians made flag dashes too late in the round, and on such maps as Fields, this strategy is better served by using cavalry. Since Austrian team opted to play without cavalry, it limited their mobility and therefore terrain control. In the second stage, the battlefield unfolded on the Marketplace and Polar's squad attempted to use Polish faction to rebound from 4-6 score. Here however, again, their lack of cavalry, which in my opinion was the Polish faction's ace, was instrumental in their limited ability to control the battlefield. Despite a valiant defense, the Austrian team fell 2-8 in the mostly shooting contest, ceeding the obvious benefit to Sweden.

This review of course contains a personal observation and opinion so feel free to jump in with your own conclusions and thoughts. All discussion is appreciated.

I'm currently writing about this match... I got a chance to see it... Very tough competition all the way to the end, and it does bring a lot of questions...

One question however is how a team that hasn't existed or played together displayed such an exceptional teamwork and almost pulled of the biggest upset of the tournament? 

Of course it's possible - there are countless examples - but. Azeri teamwork was just too perfect... So either this was the most amazing team of the tournament or we got some players "ghosting". Don't get me wrong - it was amazing match to watch but for a brand new team to almost rock the Veteran Turkish team is rather unorthodox and hence the conspiracy theories.

From what I know, very similar issue was with "Belarus" last time, but that NC didn't last too long and we had no chance to verify anything, so it were just accusations.

World Cup Match Review (Turkey vs Azerbaijan)

Take it from someone who hasn't played in any of WFAS competitions prior to this, I was actually in awe watching this match unfold.  Granted, Mags and myself were a bit saddened that the other two matches were not happening due to rescheduling, so we were expecting a quick match, especially given the fact that Azerbaijan's team was the latest addition and we figured that the team will probably not be able to come together this fast, especially considering that their first opponent was none other than Turkey!!!  But even as the first battle unfolded we quickly realized that this was no ordinary walk in the park for Turkey, and clearly not a first competition game for Azerbaijan. 

So what did happen?  I bet most of you are wondering what the hell is he talking about? Well, for starters, team Azerbaijan began the match as if they were the winners (or at least finalists) of every single WFAS tournament.  The first match took place on Marketplace and just like Turkish players, Azeris were quick to camp the alley, position shooters and move their infantry in coordinated and determined formations.  To top it all off, even with flags spawning away, they moved in organized and highly coordinated fashion. The whole first match of ten games was basically a tit for tat, and the result was astonishing (5-5).  The second match started on the Fields, and to our continued bewilderment (by we I mean myself and Mags, cause I am sure he could relate to my feelings) the rounds went back and forth.  In fact, the only difference I could observe was the way in which Turkish and Azeris team deployed on this map.  Azeris basically stayed in the village, all the way to the flags.  They appeared to have adopted a defensive stance. The Turkish team finally came out of shock - I can't really call it anything else, because it was clear from the way the match was unfolding they did not at all anticipate this type of performance from Azerbaijan.  To them this was no longer a walk in the park... hell it was not even about toughing it out... To the Turks it was now do or die, as they were looking at either a tie or loss.  Yes, guys, this match of 20 games went all twenty games not because of ego or pride - it went all this way because until the last battle, this entire match was not decided!!!

Turkish players as Poland finally defeated Azeri team as Sweden on the Fields, but long after the musket smoke faded and the hissing of the hussaria subsided, we were still left with a few questions.

Was it just a very good game with an almost impossible upset?  Sure.  It could have been just that.  It could have been that Azerbaijan as a team just came together naturally in the matter of days and almost took out one of the best teams in the tournament. 

Did anyone "ghost" in this round?  Ghosting is a term I use in reference to players using different tags to pretend they are someone else.  In regards to this question, I can't truly answer it because I simply don't know enough players in MP to know if someone actually 'ghosted' here.  But this match did feature some incredible shots by people who moved and fought like a bunch of pros.  I am not even going into cavalry tactics of the Azeris on the Marketplace.

One thing is for sure... whatever element of surprise Azeri team had it has now lost because now they will be taken extremely seriously by whoever their next opponent is.  Turkish team had to pull out all kinds of tricks and draw heavily on the experience of its veterans to pull off a win here.  And in the final match they succeeded. 

Strategy wise, especially in the last battle, their cavalry simply managed to wreck havoc on Azeri infantry during flag rush and this left Azeri shooters dangerously unprotected.  Without pike protection, they succumbed to repeated Hussar charges.

One final thought on all this... I truly hope that I am as surprised and excited as I was during this match, because honestly this is what World Cup is all about.  And if our matches continue in the same fashion we are bound to make history with some incredible games!!! 

Thanks to both teams and congratulations to Turkey!!! In this match, there were no losers.  It was a spectacular event and regardless of the side stories, this event featured two very abled and determined squads that put on quite a show in skill and coordination.

Ele

RobinWar said:
hmm, I wonder if Azerbaijan actually is Azerbaijan ^^

I agree with you, I never have seen any players  of them for years. But honestly I don´t care..Even some of them are not from Azerbaijan, they can play for them in my opionion. As long as they are from the far east, everything is alright :grin: In my head i knew that Azerbaijan will have some non Azerbaijan´s, which was the reason why we prepared our tactics like if we´d play against turkey :razz:

If we want to know if someone is "ghosting" or not, we can check the ID´s

Here a screenshot about match. Nobody shares any ss.  :???:

4gYqOJ.jpg

I had to leave after 5 rounds. Because I was very tired. :smile:

We played 2 very difficult games. Congratulations to my team mates.

This match is ended. We will look for next matches.

Well we sort of forgot to mention another round that did play out this past weekend... And as I hoped, after Turkey vs Azerbaijan match, this one also went down to the wire.

The match I'm referring to was played between Bohemia and Brazil.  So far all matches in all match ups were played between just three factions - Sweden, Polish Commonwealth and Cossack Hetmanate.  And to my knowledge only two maps were ever used - Marketplace and Fields.  This match was no exception.

Bohemia jumped to a quick lead and was looking to rout Brazil after the first ten games... However Brazil did manage to come back roaring on Marketplace to almost pull off an upset... They fell in the closing couple of rounds with the final score settling at Bohemia 11 - 8 Brazil.

Of note it's important to mention that Brazilian players are slowly gaining cohesion and composure. Considering that it's the first time this bunch had played in international competition, this young team shows a lot of potential for a very dynamic tournament performance.

Great set of battles. And congrats to Bohemia as it secure its first tourney match win.

Ele

The World Cup Semifinals begin on Saturday May 30th.  All teams must have their matches completed at this point and there will be no exceptions, the top 4 teams in the standings will advance to the semifinals.

Back
Top Bottom