SP Musket Era [WFaS] English Civil War

Users who are viewing this thread

NPC99 said:
Third patch uploaded to moddb, corrects bugs and adds these Black Cuirassiers*.
0xXTe.jpg

*Unfortunately, they only appear as pictured in new games and turn up as vanilla WFaS Black Reiters in saved games.

Dazzer has also added animations and sounds to battlefield drummers and pipers.
They are beautiful  :shock:

NPC99 said:
0xXTe.jpg

*Unfortunately, they only appear as pictured in new games and turn up as vanilla WFaS Black Reiters in saved games.

They look beautiful, god so dastardly sexy, but I can't say I'm a fan of the cloak. Is there a variation of the cloaked and cloakness armors? I thought that their most defining aesthetic feature was that they stood out especially because they were uniformly colored and as much clad in armor as you could have been in that era. Nothing covered them except armor and a shash. Sort of reminiscent of the clean armor fashion that came into being in the early middle ages when plate replaced mail and people dropped the usage of surcoats for aesthetics, leaving it all to armor instead.

Just as importantly - I do like the helmet, but are there other helmets too? Closed helmets? Closed burgonets used by them as a variation?

Either way, given that they're vanilla black reiters in old save games, this is perfect for me. You did this based on what seems to be mostly my request and I thank you very much for it. I really appreciate how you treat your fans and your community.

Still, I'd love to see the AI lords field these troops too, albeit as rarely as they do the existing parlaimentarian cuirassiers.

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Wait, so the ensign will fight and have the flag in his hand at the same time?  :eek:

Yup. And on horseback. He could also fire a pistol, but the reload animations would look silly so I'll only arm standard bearers with swords.

Could you just give them a pistol with no ammo? That way they'd only have a single shot with no reloads. That's what I used to do with my character while playing L'Aigle, I would carry two pistols with a shot each and a sword. No time to reload in the heat of battle anyway.

Mod is looking good. I'll have to add to my long to-check-when-I-have.more-time list.

YourStepDad said:
NPC99 said:
0xXTe.jpg

They look beautiful, god so dastardly sexy, but I can't say I'm a fan of the cloak. Is there a variation of the cloaked and cloakness armors? I thought that their most defining aesthetic feature was that they stood out especially because they were uniformly colored and as much clad in armor as you could have been in that era. Nothing covered them except armor and a shash. Sort of reminiscent of the clean armor fashion that came into being in the early middle ages when plate replaced mail and people dropped the usage of surcoats for aesthetics, leaving it all to armor instead.

Just as importantly - I do like the helmet, but are there other helmets too? Closed helmets? Closed burgonets used by them as a variation?

Either way, given that they're vanilla black reiters in old save games, this is perfect for me. You did this based on what seems to be mostly my request and I thank you very much for it. I really appreciate how you treat your fans and your community.

Still, I'd love to see the AI lords field these troops too, albeit as rarely as they do the existing parlaimentarian cuirassiers.

These are mercenaries who can be individually recruited by players of any faction (for 1,000 shillings after 7 days), including neutral players. As such, I've gone with a set style - one helmet, one armour, one set of gloves, one set of boots, one pistol (+bullets), one sword  and one horse (a heavy hunter with pistol holsters). I might include other more noble styles as AI Lord companions or bodyguards in future versions, but I've no current plans to put more cuirassiers in standard troop trees.

HoJu said:
NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Wait, so the ensign will fight and have the flag in his hand at the same time?  :eek:

Yup. And on horseback. He could also fire a pistol, but the reload animations would look silly so I'll only arm standard bearers with swords.

Could you just give them a pistol with no ammo? That way they'd only have a single shot with no reloads. That's what I used to do with my character while playing L'Aigle, I would carry two pistols with a shot each and a sword. No time to reload in the heat of battle anyway.

Mod is looking good. I'll have to add to my long to-check-when-I-have.more-time list.

I hadn't thought of that. I could even give them a brace of pistols (occupies a single equipment slot), which should allow them two shots without ammunition for reloads. Thanks, I'll experiment with it.  :grin:

PS I'll try three braces of pistols and a sword for a six shot test - the flag doesn't require a weapons slot as its part of the armour. Such firepower is probably only sensible for a mounted standard bearer. Those on foot couldn't carry more than a brace.

EDIT - unfortunately, the WFaS engine will not equip an AI agent with a pistol without ammo even if the standard bearer is guaranteed a ranged weapon. I don’t want to impose ranged weapons with a trigger given the problems caused by the PBOD horse archer trigger, which I’ve now disabled.

itruvor said:
Why do black cuirassiers in hand-to-hand combat use pistols, and not cold weapons...

The Pre-Battle Order Deployment code treats all cavalry who are guaranteed a ranged weapon as horse archers and forces them to equip that ranged weapon while they still have ammo for it. I will try to disable this behaviour.

Edit - I think I’ve disabled it. Should also fix efilist’s problem of cavalry switching back to firearms after being ordered to use melee weapons and hopefully Dazzer’s problem of cavalry continuing to reload instead of switching to melee weapons when in close contact. I’ll upload this correction in the next patch or full version.

Heraldic flag test.

I want to use heraldry to transfer map banners onto the battlefield, giving each AI Lord a bannerman carrying his own personal/regimental flag.

To keep such a flag animated and allow its AI bannerman to fight with a sword requires typical WFaS/Warband gymnastics. Tableau materials apply the animated flag shader to the whole flagsuit mesh, making the bannerman's jacket jig up and down on his body - not pretty. The only way I found to avoid this was rigging the animated flag separately from his flagsuit as a skinned helmet. That fills his helmet equipment slot. Who goes to war without a helmet? The helmet in the video doesn't occupy that helmet slot. It's rigged as part of the flagsuit body armour. Clearly, only suitable for AI - everything is flagged itp_unique to keep it out of player's hands just like the original flag gauntlets.

I've still got to edit the triggers which give AI Lords infantry standard bearers and musicians, but it should be easy to code mounted bannermen.

The remaining problems are:

1. The low quality/resolution of map banners - they were never intended for use on this scale.
2. The tall narrow shape of map banners limits the possible shape of battle flags to retain their cantons.
3. My cut down battle flag has a ragged edge and too many polys.

Redoing every banner to a better resolution would take a long time and might require all the banner templates to be re-UV mapped. I may just tweak some of the cruder ones, which clash and add expensive custom flagsuits for important Lords such as:

_t8Cb.jpg

The lifeguard's flag is for King Charles as his royal standard is already being used as a generic faction banner and will be carried by his infantry standard bearer. I wanted to avoid duplicating that flag with his bannerman.

Two players have reported the following error on loading the mod:

ERROR: Error on creating shaders: Out of video memory!

In both cases this was resolved by selecting load textures on demand from the launcher's configuration video options. I hope that advice helps anyone else with a similar PC configuration.

NPC99 said:
Heraldic bannerman test 2

IMO map banners translate to the battlefield better with a less complicated flag mesh. The banner designs for each AI Lord are too varied and conflicting for a sculpted mesh.

Shame the banner cannot be wider, but it still does look great!

Have you spoken to Slawomir from the Deluge mod? He's managed to get period looking flags in scenes, while presumably using the native multiplayer heraldry system. Who knows if it'll work for WFaS, but might be he could share some tips.

Scuba Steve said:
Have you spoken to Slawomir from the Deluge mod? He's managed to get period looking flags in scenes, while presumably using the native multiplayer heraldry system. Who knows if it'll work for WFaS, but might be he could share some tips.

I would need to reshape all the map banners to widen the battle flags, which is more work than I’m up for currently as there are other areas needing attention. I may revisit it in due course. Narrower flags will have to do for now.  :grin:

PS because of the numerous cantons, I can’t rely on a uniform background colour to fill out the wider sides of battle flags.

Back
Top Bottom