SP Musket Era [WFaS] English Civil War

Users who are viewing this thread

NPC99 said:
BerserkerRezo said:
Did cavaliers always wear those "Fancy" hats? Or did they try wearing helmets like Parliamentarians did?

Not all the Royalist cavalry wear fancy hats. However in the game, these cavalier hats have secretes inside, making them armoured for war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrete_(helmet)
I believe that Royalists indeed wore more fancy stuff than Parliamentarians, but they wore lobster tailed pot helmets and others aswell.
You could change the sash color of the half cuirass. I think Royalists used mostly red or blue color

Yeah sash colours were primarily red for the Royalists, although the tone appears to be more a pinky rose colour in most paintings of the time:
Charles_II_when_Prince_of_Wales_by_William_Dobson%2C_1642.jpg
697.jpg
Lord-Byron.jpg
5f5d536ff190eb91fa7b94388b9ce074--the-tudors-tudor-style.jpg
z98.JPG
Orange was Essex's Colour, the Southern Association wore Yellow sashes since that was Waller's colour and the Northern wore blue since that was the Fairfax's. The Eastern Association may have worn green sashes, Manchester's colour. The New Model switched to the Fairfax's blue when they were formed and then, surprisingly, went to red later on. A few individual officers would also wear whatever sash they wanted, Cromwell wore a white sash for example.
  Orange is probably best for Parliament if you want just the one sash colour. There is some debate on the exact tone of orange (tawney, a more browny orange colour has also been suggested) but I think it would vary from soldier to soldier so as long as it is recognisably orange you should be fine.
  To be honest, the soldiers would barely have been different in appearance, if anything the Royalists had a lot less resources than Parliament (hence why Parliament did, albeit briefly, have one full regiment of cuirassiers).  That said, the montero was very popular with the King's Army, which is a bit fancier than the average hat. Drummers would be very well attired.
  With the cavalry, the King's Lifeguard would have been pretty well equipped with the usual lobster pots I would imagine , being the personal troops protecting the Monarch, they have red tunics in some depictions of them so if you had a 'lifeguard' rank for the Royalists you could have them in red tunics with lobsterpots and then 'cavaliers' below that in more fancier civilian gear. Some sacrifices do have to be made in games to allow for a bit of variation, added with the fact that we really have little to no information on uniforms for many regiments. We know buffcoats were popular on both sides but, again, soldiers would have to make do with whatever they could find.

Early in the war there was little uniformity. I like that amateur phase of the conflict.

The cavaliers shown previously are reasonably high end cavalry, sprinkled amoungst the more mundane dragoons and harquebusiers.

I've only issued Montero caps to the Royalist infantry. Scots covenanters favour berets. Parliamentary and irish infantry often wear monmouth caps (wooly caps). All sides also wear felt hats, helmets and buff coats.

As the Royalists deployed at least one regiment of welsh  longbowmen, I've made a few available for their novelty value. Some wild highlanders continued to use bows and shields, but these are not widely used by my Covenanter forces.

I don't know how widely grenades were used, I doubt they saw much service other than during sieges. Accordingly, I've not issued them to any troops and reduced their level of availability compared to vanilla WFaS. That lets me play ignoring them, but will allow others to buy and use them if they choose.

I don't much like the vanilla double barrelled pistol, but have left it available if rare. I prefer using braces of pistols to give the player two shots without reloading. That's also animated as two shots from a single pistol but is inventoried as a brace.

Maybe have some low-tier/level infantry units in rag-tag mishmash clothing with an armband/small shash representing their side to show the lack of uniformity in alot of units in the early stages of the conflict?

Wigster600 said:
Maybe have some low-tier/level infantry units in rag-tag mishmash clothing with an armband/small shash representing their side to show the lack of uniformity in alot of units in the early stages of the conflict?

The only armband I've used so far came from Willhelm's 19th Century Victorian Era pack. Even though I reduced its poly count, it's still an expensive mesh for optimisation. I've only used it for Tercio Irlanda veterans who returned from service in Spain to fight for the Catholic Confederates.

I agree that historically troops used a lot of informal and ad hoc means of identifying friends from foes, which didn't always work.

Both of the English sides recruited from the same pool of civilians, militia and trained bands, but I've factionalised the merceneries available. Welsh, Irish & German for the Royalists vs Dutch & Scots for the Parliamentarians.

kraggrim ?️ said:
If ragtag is what you're looking for it might be worth looking at the randomisation part of Somebody's armour customisation osp.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately Somebody’s OSP uses cur_item_add_mesh and cur_item_set_material operations added in 1.158. These operations are not available to the older 1.143 WFaS engine.

I've tweaked a lot of meshes to try and make them all compatible as the player will loot kit at random and expect it all to work together. Footwear coming from different OSPs was the worst. The join between trousers and boots/shoes never seemed to be in the same place. Initially, troops levitated above certain shoes & stockings or clipped the bucket tops of some longer boots.

Gloves don't work well with lace cuffs, but there's little I can do to avoid clipping when they're combined.

My biggest regret is having abandoned Willhelms great thigh-length cavalry boots because they are incompatible with most breeches. Even if I brought them back as itp_unique to keep them out of the players clutches, I would need to limit the troop issued with them to this type of footwear and compatible uniforms, which is quite restrictive.

Hmm. You could duplicate the armours you want to be usable with those thigh length boots, then shrivel/cut the legs of the mesh so they fit inside. Then have a mission trigger that switches the armour mesh for the leg-shriveled version if those boots are worn. Something like that? Depends how much you want them in I guess.

Dazzer said:
Also whats up with the Continental part being Parliamentarian?

Probably the way that map OSP works, it use the colour of the nearest walled center (Canterbury in this case).

kraggrim ?️ said:
Dazzer said:

Probably the way that map OSP works, it use the colour of the nearest walled center (Canterbury in this case).

Correct. And yes it bugs me too. I've even considered creating a new faction and town to correct it, but its low on my priority list. Rubik's code is fine. It's just something I didn't anticipate when I mapped in the continent to be seen on the horizon.

NPC99 said:
Dazzer said:
Are you going to implement any new battlecries?

Sound has been sadly neglected so far. I've only culled WFaS's Eastern European sound clips. I have no talent for voice acting.
  I recorded a few Royalist and Parliamentarian ones for our mod you could use, they are not the best quality but they might be of some use.

NPC99 said:
kraggrim ?️ said:
Dazzer said:

Correct. And yes it bugs me too. I've even considered creating a new faction and town to correct it, but its low on my priority list. Rubik's code is fine. It's just something I didn't anticipate when I mapped in the continent to be seen on the horizon.
Sorry for so many requests, but maybe you could create a "mini" france out of that part :smile: ? If I remember correctly, Royalists asked for help there?
And there is only 5 factions max ( I think) and I suppose there is no other faction which could be added

Back
Top Bottom