West Knights [wK] - Legends of the Omniverse

Users who are viewing this thread

I think there's a lot more wrong with the game wrong than just that. Yeah they can fix those things but then what do you have? Just another War of the Roses/OKAM or some equally mediocre multiplayer experience, lacking all the details that made Warband good. Expressing my disappointment is melodrama I suppose, when the entire competitive community has been whining incessantly the past 6 months. TBF I don't give the game much thought at this point

What details does it lack if blocking works properly and movement is improved? What makes it like War of the Roses?

Isn't the "sluggish" feel people complain of - which I agree with - literally just slow blocking and ugly movement? It's not a turncap, that's less limiting than Warband currently, and attacks also are faster. A lot of the game is actually faster paced than Warband to a degree I think hurts it, but I don't see anyone complaining about it being too fast paced even though I think that would be a fair criticism.

I think the fact they've 'dumbed' down uniqueness in styles is a major turnoff, you could fix the game and make it extremely polished, doesn't mean you wont miss the quirks and styles in Warband. If you think of most major AAA games, the original almost always is better than the sequels, even though it's technically the same game with more 'quality of life improvements', that doesnt necessarily mean it would be more fun over the original. Warband's system is easy to learn but hard to master; bannerlord's system has a much lower skill cap due to the limitations of the animations, you'll be forever using 'meta' moves instead of creating a unique style (not because you dont want to, but because you can't).

And coming from someone who's been in the beta since the start and provided a lot of feedback and played every update, seeing that they've improved the combat 10 fold, I can safely say that I dont find it remotely enjoyable - it's hard to say why, I just prefer the uniqueness to that of warband, more so preference than it being a bad game. It's the same jar, just a different cookie.

Grimsight said:
They're going to do singleplayer justice for sure.. they always get that right. Multiplayer & combat though.. There are fundamental design decisions that are not in line with Warband and in my view will completely demolish games depth compared to Warband. I'm with Shema, the first night I got in beta was depressing as ****. Waited 7 years just to find out that TaleWorlds doesn't know what they're doing. They're improving things slowly but most of the problems are design choices that they're not going to revert. The competitive community can mod everything until it suits our needs, but if TaleWorlds doesn't nail it off the bat then casual audience is gone.

This is about where I'm at too.

Fietta said:
more so preference than it being a bad game. It's the same jar, just a different cookie.

This is the point I was trying to get across with my Halo reference.  I'm not saying that Bannerlord (like Halo 4) can't be made into a polished game.  I'm saying that it's being made into a game I'm not going to enjoy and probably won't buy.

I believe he means fighting styles, i.e. attack animations are easier to cheese than in Warband and more rewarding so people are less likely to develop interesting personal quirks and will instead focus their efforts on mastering the gimmicks.

I think the class system should be like Mordhau where you create your own type of class and they just balance the equipment. Two handed archers in plate just isn't gonna cut it fam

Orion said:
I believe he means fighting styles, i.e. attack animations are easier to cheese than in Warband and more rewarding so people are less likely to develop interesting personal quirks and will instead focus their efforts on mastering the gimmicks.

If this is what Fietta means then it would be particularly ironic lol

OurGloriousLeader said:
Fietta said:
I think the fact they've 'dumbed' down uniqueness in styles is a major turnoff

What does this mean? The classes?

Fluidity. Bannerlord's animations (although a bit wacky) are fluid, and is usually a fluid transition between attacks. You can cancel an attack in Warband as soon as you release and do another attack straight after. In bannerlord to make any effort to feint you usually have to cancel the attack animation halfway through - what that means is there's no 'glitchyness' what makes warband unique. I'm not saying you can't feint in bannerlord, but it's far easier to follow than in Warband, reducing the skill cap. I'm not saying it's bad for bannerlord to do that, it's just not really my cup of tea.

With the animations being smoother (and probably going to get even more smooth over time), you'll see less tricks and styles on the battlefield and more meta using, not that anyone does some really cool feints in battle, but they still use quick moves to catch out an opponent. In bannerlord you would literally be swinging and usually if both can block really well, would come down to who breaks first rather than getting caught by someones uniqueness.

Again, preference more than anything.

You can cancel at any point of Bannerlord's swings and replace it with an incredibly fast other attack. It's a huge problem lol. See here and here.

Also bizarre to describe Bannerlord as the game where people can block as long as they want. Surely that applies far more to Warband, where blocks actually work and are basically instant, than Bannerlord where some attacks are literally quicker than you can block? (Again, another huge problem)

Lastly, I've noticed several players in Bannerlord begin to create their own unique style and can recognise them instantly despite the class system meaning we all look the same (regrettably).

As I said, the issue is will the game be fun after the issues are fixed; it's very clear that these issues you're talking about are issues, after these issues are resolved will the game be fun? The simple answer is no as described in my previous post. I'm talking future and not present. Replacing a switch into a fast attack isnt some pro play, in Warband you can switch to another then another and do an attack and cancel whenever you like to make it look glitchy. The only styles you've seen are ones that abuse current mechanics, which most people disagree on and will most likely be fixed. I'd define styles usually depending on the amount of tech they can use which is severely limiting in bannerlord due to the fluidity of animations, you'll have more-so 'base's styles that everyone would be accustomed to and everyone would use them base styles.

And coming from someone who's style is inverse feint fast and every other name under the sun, I can safely say Bannerlord just doesnt compare combat wise and that's my issue, take it how you want but preference is preference.

Well it just sounds like you're saying feinting isn't fast and glitchy enough, but feinting is very fast and glitchy in Bannerlord to a degree in which it is honestly too strong. Like Warband is better at telegraphing feints. So I don't really get that complaint.

And complaining about people abusing mechanics to make their style is indeed rich coming from an inverse guru, since many salty types say the same about you. Fact remains people do have their unique styles, it's just that it's a separate issue whether those mechanics are properly balanced. I would say they're not currently, but I wouldn't say that means there's some fundamental flaw they can never fix. Again, by tweaking the movement, blocking, and combat animations in the right I think they'd be 90% of the way there and I fail to see this missing indescribable, magical component that apparently the rest of you (who have played for less than 5 hours) can see. 

I think the problem with this conversation is the fact that the combat has be changing significantly each patch. With the current patch I'm finding melee combat feels better than previous patches that I played, but that could easily change in a week when they update again. So depending on what patch you last played, the game may currently very different albiet still flawed in some ways.

OurGloriousLeader said:
Well it just sounds like you're saying feinting isn't fast and glitchy enough, but feinting is very fast and glitchy in Bannerlord to a degree in which it is honestly too strong. Like Warband is better at telegraphing feints. So I don't really get that complaint.

And complaining about people abusing mechanics to make their style is indeed rich coming from an inverse guru, since many salty types say the same about you. Fact remains people do have their unique styles, it's just that it's a separate issue whether those mechanics are properly balanced. I would say they're not currently, but I wouldn't say that means there's some fundamental flaw they can never fix. Again, by tweaking the movement, blocking, and combat animations in the right I think they'd be 90% of the way there and I fail to see this missing indescribable, magical component that apparently the rest of you (who have played for less than 5 hours) can see.

If you understand how feints work on both games there is no comparison.

OurGloriousLeader said:
by tweaking the movement, blocking, and combat animations in the right I think they'd be 90% of the way there

I mean, yeah?  Fix the most crucial aspects of the game and I guess you'd be just about there  :neutral:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VqzkKs5shCM?start=17&end=29&version=3

Back
Top Bottom