[Werewolf] – The Necromancer's Tower – Vengeful Spirits Win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Roccoflipside said:
As far as ghosts not using the night chat as much, it seemed to me that, until the last night, discussing who we were going to use our powers on seemed... Backwards, since the wolves could jut read what we were doing.
I don't think the ghosts necessarily needed to discuss their abilities in the night chat, though that could be useful as well. But people need to realize that the best weapon the village has is discussion, so if the dead are allowed to keep talking there's absolutely no reason to stop making cases on your favorite subjects and trying to swing the opinions of the living.

Xardob said:
Soot, the biggest problem with this setup I think is that the game would have worked much better with a couple more players, as you originally intended. As it was, it seems the setup had a few too many ideas for its size, making some ideas not pan out the way you intended.

In hindsight, I'd do a few things a bit differently. I think the most interesting change would be to start the game with a dead wolf as well. Let the wolves choose one of them to start the game dead and be able to influence the dead side from the beginning. It would make for a more dynamic game on both phases, I think. I also think the wolves should have a power to banish a soul each night in exchange for not killing anyone. It would give a balanced way for the wolves to deal with specials.

The third party is always an interesting element in a game, but it doesn't seem to have made any impact here. I think the biggest problem is that no one considered it a possibility. There was nothing to indicate there was another threat out there, so it didn't affect the discussion in any way. This is usually a common problem with third parties when there's no explicit statement from the host saying they exist. I'm not sure how to solve this because I'm not convinced just telling everyone how many factions there are is any better.

I was also surprised by the lack of participation from the dead during the night. I expected the villagers to make more of an effort to make cases against their suspects, but I guess the lack of direct influence on the lynch made the prospect of building a case less appealing. I think some mechanic that would force discussion during the night might help with this. Maybe give the dead a collective vote on the next lynch and have them discuss during the night which player would receive that vote?
That first part is certainly true. I tried to adjust everything accordingly, but the 14 player setup still seems a lot better.

I don't know exactly how to handle starting with a dead vengeful spirit. Would you just start with two deaths on night 1, and give the village the information that one of those is wolf? Anyway, restricting you guys from having influence over the night phase was actually specific balancing decision I made; if the village failed to catch a wolf, they'd not be able to interfere with the specials, but the earlier that one of them died the more damage they would be able to do to the specials. But yeah, that could certainly work differently if attacking a ghost was simply made optional with the night kill instead.

I tried to hint at the Necromancer's existence in a few ways. The whole setting of the game was one big hint, and how he featured in the narration. Not to mention how I worded a few things, such as:
SootShade said:
No innocents or vengeful spirits have any special abilities before they become ghosts.
Apparently it wasn't obvious enough, but I also didn't want to confirm the existence of a third faction. I have no idea why everyone discarded the idea so quickly however.

Giving the dead some influence over the lynch is certainly one idea. Maybe giving them power over banishment would work better however, for the simple fact that then they would be voting for who to off among their own number, creating the same dynamic as with the lynch.

Adaham said:
Also, Arch3r...could you tell us now why you were so vague as f**k? I mean, I get the Vieira thing, even though "just not talking to him anymore for a prolonged period of time" was maybe not the best way of handling that, but even at night you weren't as clear as "I scanned Curio. He's a villain", and instead put things slightly unclear. Was that something in your role, or...?
Oh right, about that... Archer's ability actually didn't make him a seer, it just gave him a chat with a living player of his choosing. I quite specifically wanted to avoid any role that could directly reveal the alignment of any living players. I think he made up that part of the ability to test Vieira's reaction, but funnily enough things might have worked out if he'd just properly run with it to push people into killing Crassius, since he clearly had a strong read.

Xardob said:
[quote author=Adaham]Let's see whether Arch3r confirms the Curio scan. If that is the case, we won't be able to push for Xardob. But if it's unsure, then Xardob must die tomorrow regardless. His comments at the end of the day were too damning. Even the daftest members of team blue must see it now.
:lol:

I practically confessed after Dago's lynch and still survived the night. I think the only thing I left out was the nom, nom, nom. Luckily Dago self voted and it wasn't as satisfying, or I would do it.
[/quote]
Yeah no kidding, the fact that Hawk didn't immediately target you was a shock to me. Or that no one else tried to push him to target you for that matter. I think that was the most obvious oversight by the ghosts on the last night. :neutral:

Lord Brutus said:
Maybe some day you morons will listen to me.
tumblr_mzba4e1Mf81rvvj1ho4_r2_250.gif

SootShade said:
Oh right, about that... Archer's ability actually didn't make him a seer, it just gave him a chat with a living player of his choosing. I quite specifically wanted to avoid any role that could directly reveal the alignment of any living players. I think he made up that part of the ability to test Vieira's reaction, but funnily enough things might have worked out if he'd just properly run with it to push people into killing Crassius, since he clearly had a strong read.
:facepalm:

Alright, here's to you, Arch3r and Vieira, for making a ballsy move. One thing, though: either pull through with it, or don't do it to begin with. It must have been clear that people would ask about the type of claim. Honestly, Vieira, if you wouldn't have gotten cold feet when I asked you about it, but would have insisted on your read, then probably we...wait...make that "I"...would be celebrating now  :iamamoron:

Dago Wolfrider said:
Why did you(Moose!) befriended your main suspect?

I'm not sure what you're referring to?  :???: I don't think I have main suspects in these games, just people I'm willing to kill and not kill.

SootShade said:
I tried to hint at the Necromancer's existence in a few ways. The whole setting of the game was one big hint, and how he featured in the narration.

Well that was foolish of you - don't you know that I don't read the narrations?  :razz:

Hi guys, haven't read all the way through the thread but I made a mistake and assumed that Archer was making a joke about Curio in his first message to me. He phrased it like a joke and I mistakenly assumed he wouldn't have been able to scan on the same night he died. I should have been pushing Curio since day 1.

GG wolves.

Edit: so archer wasn't actually a seer? ****ing hell I was even worse than I thought. Sorry guys. Goodnight.  :lol:

Dago was completely on point about me being dramatic and using my newbieness as a shield.

I didn't believe Hawk would really kill Moose, I thought he was going after Curio.

Good game everyone. Thanks for hosting Soot.

As for suggestions, maybe give an additional night action to the Necromancer allowing them to banish spirits?

Dark_Hamlet said:
Dago was completely on point about me being dramatic and using my newbieness as a shield.

I didn't believe Hawk would really kill Moose, I thought he was going after Curio.

Good game everyone. Thanks for hosting Soot.

As for suggestions, maybe give an additional night action to the Necromancer allowing them to banish spirits?
I love you, too  :wink:

Banishing spirits wouldn't have made sense...I was feeding on them, as in: they were my conversion material.

Balancing-wise, I think it could have all worked if people would pay a bit more attention. If we would have had 2 or 3 villagers trying to figure things out, reading carefully, being willing to draw logical conclusions, and not voting themselves, we could have easily won that.

Now I don't know how you guys could have figured me out, but maybe a seer or something could have made that work. Early in the game my strategy was very much to embrace being suspicious, as that was my ticket to live. It would have been interesting to see whether I could have been eaten in the late game as people considered me less suspicious.

Should have gone for Curio. Oops!  Didn't expect Hamlet to turn up red though. Good game and all, the mechanics were fun but I find myself not being able to invest as much time as I used to here, not to mention something always seems to happen in my life whenever I'm playing these games. Sorry.

SootShade said:
The third faction would have been revealed if one your ghosts was eliminated for whatever reason, and else when you got close enough to winning.

I wonder about allowing for banishment AND a lynch in the day?

Or if the village had a power they could use by voting, or banish a ghost. Something like putting a guard on a house, so if half or more the village votes protect; whomever, or they could banish a ghost.

Back
Top Bottom