Were our expectations to high?

Users who are viewing this thread

My original thought was that it was going to be amazing. Then I realized how much of a cluster **** the development and poor the project management was, so I lost all hope.

The fact that some modders in their free time, with limited mod tools can add deeper content than the 100+ employees at TW is mind-buggling... Something like freelancer should've 100% been in the base game, and the fact TW didn't add it just shows their mentality. They're cutting corners at absolutely every single opportunity they get.

TW have the mentality of only adding the most critical "need to have" and never give a thought on the "nice to have" features.

No. Absolutely not. They promised something, and didn't deliver it. It would have been high expectations if they shared basically nothing and we assumed its quality and content would be so and so, but that wasn't the case.

The fact that some modders in their free time, with limited mod tools can add deeper content than the 100+ employees at TW is mind-buggling... Something like freelancer should've 100% been in the base game, and the fact TW didn't add it just shows their mentality. They're cutting corners at absolutely every single opportunity they get.

TW have the mentality of only adding the most critical "need to have" and never give a thought on the "nice to have" features.
Yeah, they have no intention of adding anything substantive to this game. The prison break coding quite frankly is uninspired lazy trash. It's garbage and they know it.

Yeah, they have no intention of adding anything substantive to this game. The prison break coding quite frankly is uninspired lazy trash. It's garbage and they know it.
same with the ai marriage, when they finally implemented it the code just randomly picks someone of age and marry randomly with someone else, that's it, no criteria at all.

We already had a mod doing it and doing it extremely well with lots of variables (houses of calradia), the author simply disabled the vanilla code and kept his version on the mod which is hugely superior feature-wise.

Perhaps understand what a good video game company produces after a year in EA, then get out and get your sun. It helps with reality. I have been modding games for 20 years dude, this game is a coding mess with terrible late game options for the player and virtually no immersive qualities. For 20 dollars when the bugs are mostly put to bed? Yeah, for 50 dollars, absolutely no way. Look at the view points of the better experienced mod creators on here, not myself, they will tell you.
I actually only payed 20 bucks cause I owned the other games. As for 50 bucks, you do understand games been costing 40-60 bucks for over 30 years now (when I was a teen it was about 20-40 bucks) so that price is nothing. I spend about that much going out for dinner . SO stop acting like 50 bucks is a lot. As for how long you been involved in modding games, good for you, so I been playing them and involved in testing and mudding many of them for 30 years. I also have over 1K hours in this game alone so I do play it and know what it can and can not do with or without mods.

My point was that a lot of the folks I'm seeing *****ing now a days in games and not just this one are *****ing about little things they seem to have no clue about. Again you alos for got that last year most of the world was shut down so you can't exactly count that as full dev time. Along with the fact we are talking about a small company that has to make the game work completely without bugs or crashes. Modders don't have to do that, they just got to make there mod work only. Just about every crash I have had involving this game was the results of a mod not the game it self.

We used to get people like you every week, now it's every day. What made you come here to fight the complaints?
There's a sizable community here including experienced developers, modders, project managers and people otherwise involved in software development. We follow the development of Bannerlord closely and put together dev statements, leaks, code snippets... everything we can to get a picture of their problems that caused the current state of the game.
You, on the other hand, know next to nothing and try to defend Taleworlds on purely speculative grounds. What's your motivation? Why did you think the complainers are wrong and easy targets for criticism?

Maybe they leave cause folks like you attack them instead of the subject. I been around prob longer than you think as this isn't my first account with them....It's just the one I made when I couldn't remember my older one from warband. I'm actually not trying to defend any one, just stating what I actually have seen and read over the past few days while looking for some info on a question I had. So I made a post, it's a free world folks are allowed to do that after all, not just the old school haters that seem to not move on.

As for reason I made my comments, exactly what I have said by reading some of the folks comments they are just trying to hate for hate purpose and seem to have some false expectations of what they where going to get from the game or devs either from what was originally posted about the development or from some made up expectations they have in mind. It's not just this game, I seen it on a lot of other games too over the years.

As for reason I made my comments, exactly what I have said by reading some of the folks comments they are just trying to hate for hate purpose and seem to have some false expectations of what they where going to get from the game or devs either from what was originally posted about the development or from some made up expectations they have in mind. It's not just this game, I seen it on a lot of other games too over the years.
So, someone was wrong on the internet and you saw your chance to shine. Good job. It's you who are doing the attacking, by the way.

So, someone was wrong on the internet and you saw your chance to shine. Good job. It's you who are doing the attacking, by the way.
These white knights think they're coming up with ground breaking new arguments acting like they're not the same tired **** we saw from the last dozen.

"Hey guys game development takes time betcha didn't know that!"

"Hey guys it's an early access game do u know what that means i betcha don't"

"Hey guys you should be nicer to Taleworlds because they're working really hard and definitely listening to feedback guys if you're mean to them on the forums they'll all commit sudoku and you won't get a better Bannerlord :sad:"

I'm trying to think of a single feature in the game that isn't half-assed dog****. I think we all agree the artistic team has done nice work on scenes, graphics, etc. Other than riding around and swinging a sword, what feature can we name that is complete and on point?

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of a single feature in the game that isn't half-assed dog****. I think we all agree the artistic team has done done nice work on scenes, graphics, etc. Other than riding around and swinging a sword, what feature can we name that is complete and on point?
Exactly this! I don't think they have actual content creators, and it appears to add even the most minor thing an employee need to submit a business justification which needs to be approved by the leadership (so no employee really bother doing that).

TW is run like an in-efficient goverment entity with 100.000 employees.

I think everyone expected Bannerlord to learn from Warband mods and go deeper, since thats what Warband mods do. Instead they went for a broader audience actually removing depth from the original Warband standard, and since they had a pretty loyal and hyped fanbase (myself included) we promoted and hyped the game through memes on 9gag and everywhere, then the release came and it was a disaster.
THIS

I never expected the game to come down from the heavens on a golden chariot and lead us to the Promised Land.

I just expected it to be Warband with nicer graphics and some of the QOL improvements from mods + VC. That's it.

Just copy-pasting the dialogue trees from WB/VC onto a functionally similar but generally improved game was all that I wanted, and Bannerlord was not that. The nice things they did add didn't remotely approach the value of what they took out.

I wanted a grindy medieval RPG. They gave us a buggy battle sim which is not capable of simulating battles that make sense. Step one of any medieval combat sim should be working shieldwalls because that's what 90% of medieval combat was, but shieldwall is - by testing - objectively the worst formation with the possible exception of pike squares (which eventually outclassed shieldwalls IRL).

THIS

I never expected the game to come down from the heavens on a golden chariot and lead us to the Promised Land.

I just expected it to be Warband with nicer graphics and some of the QOL improvements from mods + VC. That's it.

Just copy-pasting the dialogue trees from WB/VC onto a functionally similar but generally improved game was all that I wanted, and Bannerlord was not that. The nice things they did add didn't remotely approach the value of what they took out.

I wanted a grindy medieval RPG. They gave us a buggy battle sim which is not capable of simulating battles that make sense. Step one of any medieval combat sim should be working shieldwalls because that's what 90% of medieval combat was, but shieldwall is - by testing - objectively the worst formation with the possible exception of pike squares (which eventually outclassed shieldwalls IRL).
tell me, after the wonderful dlc that was viking conquest i was sure TW was gathering feedback and would use it to make bannerlord an indepth and immersive game but they went the exactly opposite direction, i know they didn't develop it but being an official DLC instead of a mod i thought they would gather feedback from it.

Shieldwalls were terrifying to face in VC, if the enemy had spears then you could barely walk close to it without being impaled to death and it was amazing, bannerlord's shieldwalls in contrast are terrible and make you lose 10x more men than simply charging because they can't seem to fight well without moving constantly, it's like they developed the AI to work good only on x1 scenarios and threw formations on top of it later making it restrain the AI instead of helping it survive by using teamwork.

tell me, after the wonderful dlc that was viking conquest i was sure TW was gathering feedback and would use it to make bannerlord an indepth and immersive game but they went the exactly opposite direction, i know they didn't develop it but being an official DLC instead of a mod i thought they would gather feedback from it.

Shieldwalls were terrifying to face in VC, if the enemy had spears then you could barely walk close to it without being impaled to death and it was amazing, bannerlord's shieldwalls in contrast are terrible and make you lose 10x more men than simply charging because they can't seem to fight well without moving constantly, it's like they developed the AI to work good only on x1 scenarios and threw formations on top of it later making it restrain the AI instead of helping it survive by using teamwork.
Yep. It seems like TW has a "vision" for what they wanted BL to be, but it wasn't informed by any visibility into what the fanbase actually wanted.

The most popular WB mods were:
  • Realism
  • QOL
  • Tweaks to help with difficulty + grind
  • Total conversions
This should have been a hint that people wanted Warband but more realistic + better QOL + more options for difficulty/grind + mod support for total conversions. And we have none of that.

The game would've been a success and seen as sufficient by everyone if they had essentially created Warband again but with better graphics, more polish, QOL improvements, and obvious areas of improvement like diplomacy and sieges. Creating the same exact thing again just with better graphics is not a high expectation, yet would probably have been viewed as fine, even if people had higher expectations, myself included. Instead, the game is just worse than Warband in so many ways, and the new paint job just doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom