Welp, looks like it is working as intended. RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Apocal

Grandmaster Knight
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that what they mean by "working as intended" is that "it's not a bug" rather than "we want it to be this way".
But it still does not sound very good when they say it this way with no further explanation.
Or I'm just being too optimistic...

Horse archers are supposed to be dumb. Had they been smart they'd have already invented rifles by now.

On a serious note, I think it's kinda sad, but as @Askorti pointed out they still might change the intended behaviour in the future.

@Apocal Try this, when you can (and if you feel like it):
Managed_combat_parameters.xml---> <managed_core_parameter id="QuadrupedalRadius" value="1.0"/>
Monsters.xml-----> <body_capsule radius="0.7" (edit: better 0.5)

---Edit: Something they probably touched on regarding the AI; it's hard for me not to think that it's stupider nowadays (it has a much lower performance in its role compared to the previous closed beta versions or versions at the beginning of EA). ? Tested on 1.5.7 after the latest hotfix.

Closed beta version b.0.8.0

Last edited:
On the other hand, despite the dumb AI, horse archers are completely OP compared to all other unit types. Honestly if they had a smarter AI, they would have to nerf accuracy or something to compensate.

Some developers can make individual choices and shield themselves from more work and this works as intended. Thanks for reporting.
But srsly, there needs to be a way to escalate a real problem like this when the responsible devs are stonewalling. Maybe you can instruct your TW intermediary to inform the responsible devs' boss that this is a real problem faced by many players and his people are being lazy.

Some developers can make individual choices and shield themselves from more work and this works as intended. Thanks for reporting.
But srsly, there needs to be a way to escalate a real problem like this when the responsible devs are stonewalling. Maybe you can instruct your TW intermediary to inform the responsible devs' boss that this is a real problem faced by many players and his people are being lazy.
Be careful, it is politically incorrect to criticize the actual devs. We don't know how they work or how their system works, so it's just safer to blame the management, I think.

I always thought it was normal behaviour for horse archers to go in with a sword if the enemy gets too close... seems realistic to me for some reason.

But then I really only started playing in August... so I learned to play with this behaviour. If it is a change from previous then I can see why you'd be unhappy, but that was 8 month and several major game changing patches ago so *shrug*

I would definitely love that. I reported that shields don't block on back. Months pass and they claimed that it was finally fixed. I go play the game and shields still don't block on back.

Wasn't it fixed in a mod a long time ago?
Thing is mods may not be updated all the time. Also, when we agreed to the terms and conditions of the mod tools, taleworlds state that they can legally make a mod similar to anyone's. Taleworlds have implemented some mods in their game from time to time. It would've been easy for a coder to just look at the mod and implement it. But instead, they put it in the back burner. Then mark the bug ticket as complete. Only for it to not be complete.

Thing is mods may not be updated all the time. Also, when we agreed to the terms and conditions of the mod tools, taleworlds state that they can legally make a mod similar to anyone's. Taleworlds have implemented some mods in their game from time to time. It would've been easy for a coder to just look at the mod and implement it. But instead, they put it in the back burner. Then mark the bug ticket as complete. Only for it to not be complete.
So if I'm getting this right what you're saying is basically TW couldn't really give a **** if this gets fixed? I'm not a modder or know anything about modding, but is this really a hard fix? I'm just really curious now.

So if I'm getting this right what you're saying is basically TW couldn't really give a **** if this gets fixed? I'm not a modder or know anything about modding, but is this really a hard fix? I'm just really curious now.
Yeah. That's pretty much what I got out of it. I'm not a c# coder, but even if the devs didn't know how to fix it they could've just looked at the mod and use it to implement it into the game.

I would definitely love that. I reported that shields don't block on back. Months pass and they claimed that it was finally fixed. I go play the game and shields still don't block on back.
Shields on the back reduces damage but I don't recall them being able to block all incoming damage. Do you have any footage of that?

Last edited:
Yeah. That's pretty much what I got out of it. I'm not a c# coder, but even if the devs didn't know how to fix it they could've just looked at the mod and use it to implement it into the game.
:sad: There is nothing worse than having people who don't care about a project/job, because stuff like that is pervasive and it typically starts at the top. I've worked for companies where you clock in do your time clock out and f$%k it if it isn't right and I've worked for companies that people were passionate about what they did and the results always show in the end.

I hate that they caracolle in a tight circle, makes engagements on any maps that aren't flat ground without trees painful. Charging in after running out of arrows makes sense, but I wish they'd default to falling back instead of pulling a Leeroy Jenkins and getting killed.

...probably too much to ask for

I hate that they caracolle in a tight circle, makes engagements on any maps that aren't flat ground without trees painful. Charging in after running out of arrows makes sense, but I wish they'd default to falling back instead of pulling a Leeroy Jenkins and getting killed.

...probably too much to ask for
Why doesnt the formation AI makes them coordinate? Everyone could keep riding in formation until the formation is out of arrows and only then would they switch behaviour to common cavalry for example, doesn't sound hard to code..

So back in August, I noticed horse archers were pretty bad at keeping separation. I posted a bug report about it.

The final response.
My problem is that at one point they didn't do that ****, they could absolutely be trusted to circle away and not engage enemies up close if they had ammo.
They changed it and then made it even worse by making them also change to melee at a long distance, making them do dum stuff much more often.
So their response is unacceptable, they made it worse, it's not okay, they need to put it back the way it was.

On the other hand, despite the dumb AI, horse archers are completely OP compared to all other unit types. Honestly if they had a smarter AI, they would have to nerf accuracy or something to compensate.
They're just archers that give you + campaign speed now. TW need to fix infantry and Cav so they're not crappy, nerfing other units isn't okay.
TW already nefred HA accuracy more then once, they're not very accurate when moving against anything other then AI blobs.

Back
Top Bottom