Weird Historical Amour and Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

Ungrevling said:
Being sceptical is good, but thinking you know better than archaeologists because of your gut feeling is arrogant.
This fallacy is called "appeal to authority". Just believing someone because of his title doesn't make it true. You still need evidence. I should know - I studied ancient history (though my main focus is on medieval history). One "archaeologist" for example claimed that celtic armrings were fixed to their wearers arms by recasting them straight onto them. He had no evidence, just his gut feeling but he was an archaeologist. Was the metalworker with no academic degree wrong or arrogant for calling him out because of his "gut feeling" of hearing total nonsense? (Of course he wasn't. Celts just as modern people valued the integrity of their arms more than having some fancy jewellery around the rests of their molten flesh.)

One of us cared to ask for evidence instead of blindly following a theory someone apparently made up. What is so arrogant in asking for evidence?

Ungrevling said:
If you leave something as an offering to the dead, how is that anything other than ritual?
I didn't deny that. I even wrote:
RC-1136 said:
These swords weren't laying around but were used as ritual (:roll:) offerings or burial objects.
Look at the funny eye rolling smily in my post!  :iamamoron: I even acknowledged that I called offerings "ritual" after questioning it for the "killing of the sword".
Of course their is a ritual meaning behind sacrifices and burials. But these meanings can have their limits.

Ungrevling said:
Both preventing theft and some kind of magic effect may have been considerations when destroying votive objects.
Absolutely. They may have.

But the thing is, we know very little about rituals and customs of the Celts because they didn't have a literate culture. So especially in cases of illiterate cultures we should be sceptical about claims concerning their believe system and cultic behaviour.
One more thing: Calling something cultic and magical is a good publicity stunt in underfunded fields like history and archaeology. Calling some golden branch "Kultbäumchen von Manching" instead of "an example of superb Celtic craftsmanship we know very little about" just has a far better ring to it.

44px-Tecpatl_glyph.svg.png
Aztec Sacrificial Técpatl!

:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tecpatl

Constelaci%C3%B3n_Tecpatl.JPG

768px-%C3%8Dxquac.JPG

768px-Aztec_sacrificial_knife_with_carved_wooden_handle_%285732862709%29.jpg

wpGz7RO.jpg

2VzDJgW.jpg

EvJnJi8.jpg

9No0Gyy.jpg

2CIGf9I.png

sclfvnc.jpg

fcOI8y2.jpg
250px-Tecpatl.svg.png

Hi there, nice topic. One of the most underrated swords must be the khopesh. A sickle shaped sword of the bronze age. Egyptians were the chief users but parts of Persia and Babylon had tried to pick up its use.

The shape was attained by smelting bronze and tin, for hardening, into a cast at a steady pace. Weaponsmiths who could produce them were highly honoured. Too little tin resulted in a blade that held no form and excessive tin, the blade became brittle.

The sickle shape was to aid in striking force. One may consider it as a straight sword that has a weight welded at the tip. This meant a khopesh cut deeper and was excellent at chopping. Attacks were in the normal 8 planes - an equal cross plus another making 45° angles. Where it differs with other swords, the inner sickle edge was blunt and wider allowing one to block or bludgeon and by initiating a twist and hooking the other blade, it was able to disarm the opponent. Strikes were moderately fast and heavy.

Though it was lethal in combat, making these for a whole army was time consuming and expensive. Larger sized ones were even more dangerous but with limited durability, cracks on the sickle. Development of skills resulted in dual wielders who carried their blades on their backs.

https://lubiblicalmuseum.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/4/7/76475503/2932320.jpg

120px-Text_on_Sword_of_Gou_Jian.svg.png

Sword of Goujian  :arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Goujian

jtcK3oH.jpg

Deciphering_the_sword.jpg

Sword_of_Goujian%2C_Hubei_Provincial_Museum%2C_2015-04-06_01-edit.jpg

eDu kIggZ said:
Hi there, nice topic. One of the most underrated swords must be the khopesh. A sickle shaped sword of the bronze age. Egyptians were the chief users but parts of Persia and Babylon had tried to pick up its use.

Reconstructions by Yannick Dubeau

:arrow: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/KzdJB

:arrow: https://yannickdubeau.deviantart.com/art/Egyptian-Swords-571173170

Archeological  khopesh examples...

LB_sickleblade_swords.jpg

1024px-Egypte_louvre_132_arme.jpg

Sword types depicted from the tomb of the king Ramses III, Valley of the Kings, Luxor

Description de l'Égypte

5MQHNWW.jpg

Rosselini expedition to Egypt and Nubia

thdnjrY.jpg

Examples from beyond of Egypt

Comparison of sickle-blade weapons

HZJrbp2.jpg

Khopesh sword from Byblos, circa 2000 to 1600 BCE,
Near Eastern Antiquities in the Louvre

1024px-Harpe-AO_9092-P5280209-gradient.jpg

Khopesh found in Nablus; the blade is decorated with electrum inlays,
1750 BC, Staatl. Museum Ägyptischer Kunst, München

Khopesh.jpg

Pangolin scale armour, presented to Albert Edward,
Prince of Wales, during his voyage to India in 1875-76

768px-Prince_of_Wales_Pangolin_Armour.jpg

Coat has been covered with the scales of the pangolin or scaly anteater (Manis crassicaudata). Royal Armouries, Leeds.
It originally had a helmet, also made of pangolin scales, with three plumes. The scale coat was presented to the King George III in 1820
by Francis Rawdon, 1st Marquis of Hastinges (1754-1826), who was the East India Company's Governor General in Bengal, 1812-22.

CXuzrex.jpg

9WLJm41.jpg

matmohair1 said:
Siege Technology over the Ages
imperial1540641056_.jpg

imperial1540641107_1.jpg

imperial1540641154_2.jpg

imperial1540641186_3.jpg

imperial1540641216_4.jpg

imperial1540641246_5.jpg

Good collection, let me add a few more
HEL%25C3%2589POLIS%2BTOMADORA%2BO%2BCONQUISTADORA%2BDE%2BCIUDADES.%2BBLOG%2BIMPERIO%2BROMANO%2BDE%2BXAVIER%2BVALDERAS%2B%25281%2529.png
28-1.jpg
perfora3.jpg
19177207219_d19fa79a3a_b.jpg
e7db57689b33ccf0098b6a19050225b6.jpg
10143912.jpg
220px-Hungry_falcon_cart_wjzy.jpg
pluteo.jpg
image.png.2a22eaf7ed6249f64af713c2506cf952.png
Asi-ardia-el-arma-mas-misteriosa-del-Imperio-Bizantino-640x448.jpg
lanzallamas-de-delios-2.jpg

Tudor armor sets

S86qmUR.jpg

kalashnjkov said:

:grin:  Italian Falchion, Venice, 1490

4ZlCb8B.jpg

"Saladin rex Aegypti" from a 15th century
manuscript with similar falchion blade

786px-SaladinRexAegypti.jpg

Kriegsmesser (war knife) 14th to 16th centuries

QmcPsVO.jpg

LVn4PDQ.jpg

Comparison with Middle Eastern, Kilij broad sabers

mkantiques  :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/mkantiques/

7J1D3Z4.jpg

awZ2lLp.jpg

f5UnTk2.jpg

Pathan | al-Faris al-Bathani said:
I just want to say that you alwaya post the most interesting things. I always love to view what you post.  :smile:
  :wink: You're Welcome!

Weird longswords depicted in German fencing manuals
The Medieval Longsword (Weapon) Osprey Publishing

Hkb0oSG.jpg

6XxoHKd.jpg

Half swording demonstration - John Clement
ARMA From Talhoffer documentary

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom