Weird Historical Amour and Weapons

Users who are viewing this thread

As the title suggests this is where you share any bizarre weapons or armour you may have found, as well as any context for them. Stuff that was actually used in battle is preferred (by me at least) but ceremonial and experimental designs work as well

here's a werid historical weapon i found

1404681508839.png

i think it was some sort of ceremonial bludgeoning device. perhaps ritual sacrifice

A fine example of the American Empire's unique phallus cult, although the actual craftsmanship can be traced to China circa late PRC to early Xīzàng Dynasty. Once holography of the item is complete, it will be available on the Louvre's website for download and 3D printing.

Ahahahha

But on a more serious note I finally worked out how to upload images (Yay to me) and have found a decent example of what I am talking about, the African 'throwing' knives.
Variations of it are found throughout Western and Central Africa and with many variations of the twisted looking blades. Some were used for throwing and others for slashing, some for hunting and others for fighting. I am still not exactly sure about why they have such strange shapes but I've heard somewhere that is was to get past shields

210wosw.jpg

The above image is some variations of the blade kept in the British Museum in London

They're oddly shaped because no other shape works for a throwing blade. There's a fine balance between having the weapon actually fly properly, and having blades connect with the target.

Franciscas are another bladed throwing weapon that works practically, but they have to be thrown in much greater numbers at a dense formation in order to work.

jacobhinds said:
Franciscas are another bladed throwing weapon that works practically, but they have to be thrown in much greater numbers at a dense formation in order to work.
There's a local viking museum in the archipelago close to where my grandmother's family is from. They have a throwing axe range. Works surprisingly well.

The knives are back for me now. Weird.

Anyway if anyone else has something to contribute please ignore this unless you as well se a bike.

Meanwhile I feel like showing off this Samurai Mempo, a type of facial armour that covered either the entire face (Somen), from the nose to the chin (Menpo), from under the nose to the chin (Hanbo) or the cheek and forehead (Happuri). The former 2 types of armour quite understandably had the most elaborate designs. As well as protecting the face the way the Somen and Menpo covered the face and replaced it with often quite demonic looking designs would have been quite unnerving to the enemy.

2rnkmkp.jpg

A Somen from the Musée des Arts Premiers in Paris.

1625vo1.jpg

A Menpo from the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco

Let me introduce you to my favorite individual weapon of all time:

The 17th Century Combination warhammer and warpick/six shot gun. Witness the glory.

tumblr_mqf7cjnK9q1rwjpnyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqf7cjnK9q1rwjpnyo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mqf7cjnK9q1rwjpnyo3_1280.jpg

For when you're doin' the smashins, and some shootins to boot.

Btw, I've got a whole collection of these saved away, plus there are some amazing Chinese weapons from the Medieval/Renaissance period, so if you want me to share them I could spend all day collecting them all for a post.

And people thought that Final Fantasy's Sword Gun was strange! Although I think that a combination of smashing and shooting is somehow much more badass than stabbing and shooting could ever be  :razz:
And pretty, pretty please show us some more of your collection

Back
Top Bottom