Resolved Scene Editor Weird black areas on screen in custom scene

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Modded
The title says it all. Sometimes when viewing my scene, parts of the screen go black, in odd patterns. Here's what I get when looking at my scene in the editor and in the game from certain places (see top-left corner):

I am on version 1.7.2. I've had this problem before, but forget what the fix was.

Edit:
Took the same screenshot at the same place in the scene, but this time just after opening the scene, and no weird black spots.

But after a few minutes, even without changing anything in the scene, the black spots in the first image reappear.

Last edited:
Forwarded to the QA team for further investigation. We will reach out again if we need more information. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!
By doing process of elimination by moving entities into and out of the viewport, eventually I figured out the problem was caused by using the material pointlight_clear. I started using this material to make parts of a mesh invisible because default_empty caused a crash on previous versions. But now since default_empty apparently no longer causes a crash, my problem is solved.

Thanks for the update. Glad to see its fixed.
I've gotten around to testing the scene in-game again, and unfortunately the default_empty material causes a crash. There's nothing in the log that says this, but by assigning default_empty to different lods in a mesh I confirmed that it was the problem. So it doesn't cause a crash when in-editor, but does when in-game, and I'm sure it shouldn't cause a crash in either.

Back
Top Bottom