Weird battlefield AI behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread

yeah sometimes it can be annoying when they retreating so far back leaving you behind. But sometimes its also really tactically good since they utilize their archers and your reinforcements when enemy AI overextend...But yeah they have to do an rework or fix with AI command in battle even if AI have saved me from really tricky situations at times ^^

Indeed, AI will make tactical retreat when reinforcements are coming. It also is worth paying attention to overall commander, when you are fighting as a commander of larger army. He will generally tell what AI is up to. His messages are easy to miss in the heat of the battle and you can easily get yourself isolated with your group of archers when AI retreats to regroup.

AI will make tactical retreat when reinforcements are coming
BBut it wasnt. He was going back right from the start. There wasnt even a battle.

I am sure it is just mad ai begaviour that you think is a tactical retreat, but it is not.

One behavior I immediately noticed when I told my troops (as usual) to "stay here, I take them myself" against the first or so pack of looters. I ride around them on my horse, take out my bow - they run toward my troops ion the distance. I switch to the sword - they turn around and run to me. Switch back to bow, they turn again towards my troops.I thought this was funny. But yeah, from an in-universe point of view stupid.

I have the same. In my empire play-through fights of empire vs. empire are the worst with this (Due to javelin units trying to skirmish?). This really needs to be a high priority fix. Joining AI armies is completely stupid when troops out of your control run back and forth and never engage. When both sides do it its even worse.

In fights where only the enemy is under AI control they become incredibly easy to cheese as they wobble around and turn their back to you and all other forms on nonsense.

In a game about leading massive battles this just completely breaks all immersion and is downright infuriating at times.

Okay. I know why battles offten looks like random running around.

It is becouse of "autorotate formation" mechanic. If there is a lot of cavalry AI will turn around formations nonstop, and it looks horrible. Like 1000 madmen are running around and dont know what to do.

Yeah the battle AI is stupid like hell. Today I watched a round in tournament for freaking 15 minutes. A single round! Usually I watch rounds for my heroes to level up. But if there are two cavalry units remained - you can just skip it. They wil stand behind each other, ass to ass, and just scream "Whoooaoao! I'll break your skull!!!". For 15 minutes. God knows how long it could take if the round isnt skipped.

Yep. That's why Im here too.

AI is a total CRAP right now.
Infantry moves forward and then turns their backs on arrows.

Is there a "Quick Guide Sheet" of some sort with all the F1, 2 ,3 ,4 .. commands and their order and meanings? I'm just not smart enough to keep pausing a battle to figure out what the symbols mean and end up with just a mess.

So lately I've been just getting cavalry units and using F1 - F2, All the other units leveling up to become cavalry units can just follow at a run.. or stay behind.

Thanks!

Well, it looks like your troops are doomed due to incredibly stupid behavior with all that turning their backs on enemy archers. So it seems like character is way more important in that case. Maybe it's a great idea after all. You should get the best armor and stay safe?!

Still it should not look like a suicide =)

Do you what is worse than this? When both armies are having a staring competition with each other. When it's been 20 mins and nobody has moved.

Do you what is worse than this? When both armies are having a staring competition with each other. When it's been 20 mins and nobody has moved.
Yea. Thats why i wear a bow and 72 arrows. So i can shoot atleast. Then kill ally archer, take his arrows and shoot again.

For my troops i found only one tactic - send all infantry and cavalry far back. Otherwise they will be surrounded and die. And just go with archers.

Back
Top Bottom