Weekly 2d art competition archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
63RX8.png

And I forgot I had to export to a different file type so there's some loss. Not sure if jpg or png or even gif is the way to go.

My advice would be .png. Afaik, the only reason to save in a lossy format in the second tenth of the 21st century is if you're optimising a website.

If for some reason you do need a smaller file, you can make that later, but it's a good idea to always save a master copy of your art in a lossless compression format, such as .png.

A lot of the time it's not immediately noticeable, but I have noticed a few very obvious and unsightly compression artefacts in some of your pictures.

Take a look at the ripples in this one (at full size):

streetlights_by_axiaterraartunion-da2tt5n.jpg

You ruined it for 3 megabytes. That's a saving of $150 in hard drives for every million pictures you save like that. There's no way it's worth it.

jacobhinds said:
I don't know what you can see but it's not  compression artefacts. Maybe it's the brush density or something.
That's one of the images I actually saved at 100% jpeg quality and no human being can see the artefacts at that scale.

Well, I'm not gonna argue as to whether or not that's what I'm seeing, but in any case, you get my point. It's strange to show art not at the best quality, however noticeable, when at the very most, it's going to cost you less than a couple of cents per thousand pictures and if that seems like a lot, you can delete the image from your own computer after you've shared it anyway, since it's not your master copy.

I'm not telling you not to do it, just that it's not reasonable and people seeing it will sometimes have a negative opinion. If satisfying the habit is worth that to you, so be it. :razz:

Nice!

@ the jpg discussion: jpg full quality is enough.

Using uncompressed formats for drawings is pointless quality wise, putting an extra 3 mb on top of a file that should be 800 kb/1 mb tops only serves to clog the browser, so don't.

All right!

As I'm a participant, I'll leave this link to prove I finished before midnight (BRT), as I won't be up until then and probably only will post tomorrow morning.

Plenty of entries this round, great job, folks. If anyone wants to send something, there are still 4 hours left.

Hello folks!

Awesome round. Plenty of entries, new people coming in, people coming back, all good stuff.

I won't put the poll just yet, as it seems TWIm is down, I dunno if it's just my internet but it'd be unfair if half the entries are not showing for everybody.

Anyway, here's what we got for this round, feast your eyes on the ugliest knights of the realm! At least the ones that are showing, that is.

0fGlb.png
Author: Meevar the Mighty
Title: Masculus Musa a Milano - Day's Light Little Suits the Knightly Suitor

2016.09-22_1000.jpg
Author: Cruor_Volt
Title: Untitled

ebtux.jpg
Author: HoJu
Title: Two Cents Hussar

CtEkmUuW8AE4h8I.jpg
Author: jacobhinds
Title: Rooster Knight

zg9PL.jpg
Author: AWdeV
Title: Warmth

29869353276_ab6a608d84_o.jpg
Author: SacredStoneHead
Title: Sir Hog

Thanks everybody for the participation!

I'll put the poll up as soon as TWIm images start showing or people confirm it's just on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom