SP - General Weapons being able to break

Users who are viewing this thread

No way, I think slow degrades over time is the worst option that's been mentioned. You know what this is going to result in? People just carrying stacks of duplicate weapons in case theirs breaks. It's not going to be fun, it's going to be boring and tedious. You'll end up just carrying a duplicate of whatever your main weapon is. But on top of that you'll be stressing about how your weapon durability is constantly decreasing and making sure you have one that's durable enough to survive the next battle. It's pointless micromanagement counterproductive to fun.

Having weapons become dented or chipped when you're downed is also going to be annoying af, especially during protracted sieges in mid-late game where you might go down several times over the course of the siege and pull out from the battle to heal up and build more siege equipment. As per above, people will solve this by just carrying duplicates of weapons and it'll be a pointless addition to inventory weight.

Sorry to the OP for being so harsh about this, suggesting things for the game is great, but really, this is not going to be good. At least, I have yet to hear a suggestion in this thread of how to implement weapon durability that actually sounds fun and not lame.
i think retreating and continuing battles and sieges is a cheesy mechanic

Agreed but until TW does something about it plenty of people will do it. I liked how in WB that you could reset the map from a choice of 3 because sometimes the map spawn wasn't to your liking. But once someone took damage or got within a certain range retreat was impossible. Imho that's the way it should be.

Stamina is in 99% of first person shooters and people find those games fun.

Not combat stamina. FPS games sometimes have "running stamina" which is annoying too. But you don't lose stamina for shooting guns. I'm just glad the designers of M&B realize that stamina is not a good mechanic. Running stamina or any other kind of stamina is almost never fun, but the games that use it have a lot of other great things going for them so people enjoy them despite crappy stamina systems and not because of them. Skyrim for instance, the combat was just horrendous when compared to M&B. Just horrendous. But the rest of the game had so many fun things, and the combat was fun enough (despite the poorly designed stamina system), that it was still enjoyable to play, up to a point. But that's mainly because you get to swing a sword at monsters, not because it's actually well-implemented combat (anyone remember Hexen?). That doesn't mean we should focus on the things about those systems that are commonly poorly designed and keep re-doing those same things in the same (poor) way. Let's move the genre forward, not backward.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like that's what you are suggesting, and I'm not trying to chew you out here or anything. It's just how I feel about the mechanic.

If you want pole-weapons to be able to break during combat, perhaps instead of allowing a crush-through (pole-weapon takes some durability damage over time like shields but only when blocking a normally "crush-through" attack or whatever) then I don't see a huge problem with that. Once it breaks, I'd say it's very low damage but can still be used to block at least. Then, as a fun side-effect, you'd be encouraged to pick up dropped battlefield weapons. I could get behind that.

Last edited:

Really? I think retreating from sieges was common back in the Middle Ages. They'd make a run at the walls, and if the attack wasn't going well, they'd pull out and bombard with siege engines / starve the defenders out, then repeat as needed. I'm no expert but I thought that was fairly standard.

Within BL, I don't think you can pull out of regular battles without losing troops, right? And only if you're the attacker. That seems reasonable to me. How is that cheese?

I think the "retreat from battle" mechanics right now are correct and well-done, from what I can see. I think they are complete and I don't see why the developers would change it.

Really? I think retreating from sieges was common back in the Middle Ages. They'd make a run at the walls, and if the attack wasn't going well, they'd pull out and bombard with siege engines / starve the defenders out, then repeat as needed. I'm no expert but I thought that was fairly standard.

Within BL, I don't think you can pull out of regular battles without losing troops, right? And only if you're the attacker. That seems reasonable to me. How is that cheese?

I think the "retreat from battle" mechanics right now are correct and well-done, from what I can see. I think they are complete and I don't see why the developers would change it.
It's cheesy because you put your archers up front let them shoot a round or two into charging infantry/cavalry then reset and by magic they have full quivers and the enemy has taken some losses and you've taken none. You just rise and repeat till they're all dead and you've suffered zero losses against an enemy force much larger than you.

Retreating from battles is cheese, but if the siege defenders don't want my party/army walking away from a bad attempt at escalade, they can come and fight me about it.

You can't escape the whole of the battle without losses. But you can hit Tab and select Retreat for zero additional losses, no morale penalty, nothing; effectively an instant reset button as long as there are no enemies close to you. As long as you don't try to get away on the map menu and instead go back to another attack it will just restart you in a fresh fight. Obviously that gives a really strong advantage to archers and it is absolute cheese.

You can't escape the whole of the battle without losses. But you can hit Tab and select Retreat for zero additional losses, no morale penalty, nothing; effectively an instant reset button as long as there are no enemies close to you. As long as you don't try to get away on the map menu and instead go back to another attack it will just restart you in a fresh fight. Obviously that gives a really strong advantage to archers and it is absolute cheese.

Oh, I did not realize that. OK I can see how that is cheese.

Back
Top Bottom