SP - General Weapons being able to break

Users who are viewing this thread

yeah been playing with the idea to as you can repair em with your smiting skills or in towns. Slow degrades during time and combat that can be adjusted with perks to like in one hand tree saying that youre now being more preparing like with your swords oiling em in and stuff.

Boo, don't like it. Thumbs down. I think it would be really annoying. Imagine constantly having to replace or repair all your companions/family weapons? Ugh, it would be super tedious man. And if weapons degrade, why not armor too? Imagine having to repair/replace weapon/helmet/armor/bracers/boots/shield of all of your companions and family (10+ people later in the game) constantly. OMG. No.

Boo, don't like it. Thumbs down. I think it would be really annoying. Imagine constantly having to replace or repair all your companions/family weapons? Ugh, it would be super tedious man. And what about your army weapons? Do they break too? If not, why not?
dont have to be much but due to time and usage they will go down really slowly... not to much or else yeah like recent Link game it would be to much grind so to speak

Like the Durabilty? In the common RPGs?

Just for Weapons or Armors? I imagine you're proposing this only for the main hero, player controlled

If only for player, you have my vote

Alternatively just consume oil every week, and if you don't have oil, apply the "rusty/dull" item modifier to all your iron/metal gear and "cracked/dry/nasty/worn" to your leather equipment.

Oil is your friend.

For transparency maybe place the text "Good for consumption, essential for gear and weapon upkeep" on the item itself so people know to buy oil in bulk quantities.

Boo, don't like it. Thumbs down. I think it would be really annoying. Imagine constantly having to replace or repair all your companions/family weapons? Ugh, it would be super tedious man. And if weapons degrade, why not armor too? Imagine having to repair/replace weapon/helmet/armor/bracers/boots/shield of all of your companions and family (10+ people later in the game) constantly. OMG. No.

Yeah I agree - if companions weapons had to be repaired or worse, the entire army, that would become a massive micromanagement nightmare that detracts.

I think that we are going to have to abstract some ideas away (an example being the need to sleep or carry large amounts of water) for the game.

Alternatively just consume oil every week, and if you don't have oil, apply the "rusty/dull" item modifier to all your iron/metal gear and "cracked/dry/nasty/worn" to your leather equipment.

Oil is your friend.

For transparency maybe place the text "Good for consumption, essential for gear and weapon upkeep" on the item itself so people know to buy oil in bulk quantities.

No, oil is quite rare in the game. I buy all of it in every settlement I visit and I almost never have any. And the type of oil that you use to maintain weapons is not the same as the type of oil you consume. These are different substances. You don't use vegetable oil to preserve swords. Generally it's a mix of stuff that contains mineral oil.

Type of oil isnt specified in-game, and in games concepts are usually simplified. You're right but its easier to implement weapon maintenance this way. Something the devs might agree with.

Battle Brothers (a game with a lot of M&B in its DNA) has tools being consumed for post-battle repair and maintenance. We have tools in Bannerlord.

Think Battlebrothers have more Dna from other turn based old school tactics games like FF tactics as an bad example (even if its a great game it came out from other heavy titles) since i cant think of the other names atm even if i played a lot of them back in the days ^^ Bannerlord are more in to the Defender of the Crowns type of genre and hybrid with sprinkles of TW but in FPS tactical stylish which makes it superb :smile:

Last edited:
I still don't see how this adds to the game regardless of if olive oil can be used instead of mineral oil. It just adds needless micro that detracts from the fun parts of the game (ex: combat).

I still don't see how this adds to the game regardless of if olive oil can be used instead of mineral oil. It just adds needless micro that detracts from the fun parts of the game (ex: combat).

Agreed, why would we want tools to be consumed after battles? It'll just be an annoyance.

Agreed, why would we want tools to be consumed after battles? It'll just be an annoyance.

Food is the same system. Your army eats to stay healthy. Whatever maintenance item is suggested I think should be part of that system.

So why would you want to purchase maintenance? To keep your gear healthy + to get rewarded in whatever skill tree it relates to. Could be smithing, maybe steward, etc. Item modifiers are in-game so why should they not apply to the player's old [rusty] gear?

If you just don't purchase the maintenance I don't think you should be heavily punished either. Something like a -2 to -5 reduction in armour/damage makes sense.

I'd probably keep my worn out gear and every once in a while, before a big battle, do some quick maintenance and get that +2 to +5 buff. That's preparation giving you the edge.

TLDR Think of maintenance as a buff instead of 'weapons breaking'. That is negative gameplay.

But steering back to OP's topic of weapons breaking, I think crush throughs breaking staff or shaft based weapons in half would be pretty cool. Switch to a one-handed half spear, maybe throw it at them. lol

Food is the same system. Your army eats to stay healthy. Whatever maintenance item is suggested I think should be part of that system.

So why would you want to purchase maintenance? To keep your gear healthy + to get rewarded in whatever skill tree it relates to. Could be smithing, maybe steward, etc. Item modifiers are in-game so why should they not apply to the player's old [rusty] gear?

I don't think you quite understand.

Food and the other parts are more a chore for many of us than something we enjoy. It takes time away from what we like (combat).

Food is only useful otherwise for a trading asset. I understand why it is there (as a gold sink and to give some degree of immersion), but anything more in depth IMO should be abstracted away.

I don't think you quite understand.

Food and the other parts are more a chore for many of us than something we enjoy. It takes time away from what we like (combat).

Food is only useful otherwise for a trading asset. I understand why it is there (as a gold sink and to give some degree of immersion), but anything more in depth IMO should be abstracted away.
an chore ?! damn people are lazy these days xD

but anything more in depth IMO should be abstracted away.

Or assigned to a different playstyle. Like I said, you never have to buy things to keep your gear healthy, but as an option that buffs your equipment, like sharpening weapons in games like skyrim and the witcher, it's almost a ritualistic experience before you charge into battle.

It'd be a shame if this game, with all of its depth potential, were to abstract it all away. That doesn't mean that everything has to be mandatory. Don't do it then. You'll benefit a little if you do though.

Like buying food for your army.

Or assigned to a different playstyle. Like I said, you never have to buy things to keep your gear healthy, but as an option that buffs your equipment, like sharpening weapons in games like skyrim and the witcher, it's almost a ritualistic experience before you charge into battle.

It'd be a shame if this game, with all of its depth potential, were to abstract it all away. That doesn't mean that everything has to be mandatory. Don't do it then. You'll benefit a little if you do though.

Like buying food for your army.

If maintaining one's equipment is added to the game, it will not be optional. You must maintain your equipment to get it at optimal performance. A small penalty is still a penalty.

That's why I am against it. My thoughts are that if people want it, they can mod it in. Skyrim for example has a mod where food is mandatory for survival. It's something that is abstracted out (it is used for stat buffs) or in other games (like the Witcher 3) for healing.

Back
Top Bottom