Weapon sets - What's your way to kill

Users who are viewing this thread

Tumetsu

Master Knight
Since we have so many different weapons I'm curious what are you guys using? Share your inventory and tell us why you chose just those four.

Old classic:

Double Barreled Dragon
Double Barreled Dragon
Cannon Ammo
Dark King's Sword

It was great for mass-murdering lighter troops from horseback. Also useful at sieges if you get good position on the walls. It's pity they're not so good anymore.

My current one:

Nest of Bees
Hand Grenades
Hand Grenades
Elite Short Halberd

With these I tried to maximize AOE damage because it's cool to slaughter twenty guys with one shot. I was originally going with three grenades but took Nest with me to give some more ammo. It's also awesome when sneaking to town because of that bug.
Short Halberd... you all should try how awesome it is from horseback. It's onehander so there is no penalties. Good damage (cutting, but you can't get everything) good reach and fast. It can kill Death Knight with one swing. Also shields are for pussies.

My current preference:  one of the fastest bastard swords (they're a wee bit OP atm if you use them two-handed) and missile weapons depend on my build. 

I usually have some Grenades, as it's just darn handy to stop the lighter infantry with.  When it's time to fight against heavies, it's a close race between the Double Dragon, Duelist's Pistol and the Blunderbus- the first is a wee bit slow and won't kill heavies at a distance, the second practically requires a headshot, and the third may miss, so none of them are perfect.

well right now i'm trying to use Steffs idea but i can't find i descent pick/hammer.
the Rhulug axe, steel sheild, jezzali and bullets. on a warhorse (cause its a weapon 2)

oh yeah also on a dif game using a dark kings sword, lance (can't remember what kind) jezzali and ammo

Weapon sets :

Open field vs lightly-armored units such as khergits, rhodoks and nords

Mounted/on foot

Double-Barreled Flintlock (DBF)
Bolts/Bullets
Vaegir's Lord Sword (bastard sword, best I found so far)
Templar's Shield (or Steel Shield if I fight many rifles)

Vs. heavily armored units I switch the bastard sword with Manhunter's Short Polehammer. It has good reach so it's effective on horseback.
Vs. infantry-mostly armies I switch the shield for a Jezzail, the bastard sword for a DKS or SOL and I fight on foot, better accuracy and reload speed.

In sieges :

Attack :

DBF
Bolts/Bullets
Fine Military Hammer - similar to MSP, but 50p damage, 62 reach and 140 speed. The higher speed and shorter range
                                    allows it to be extremely effective in close quarters
Heavy Board Shield - highly resistant, huge shield that can cover very effectively from enemy archers.

Defense : so far I tried Nomad Bow with Nest of bees, one ammo for each (no melee weapon or shield)
                I had extremely good kill rate against lightly armored troops but I want to test

DBF
2 x Bolts/Bullets
MSP or Fine Military Hammer

Note - the reason why I use the DBF is because it has excellent reload speed and decent damage.

I find myself currently loving the Short Elite Halberd accompanied by either a light arquebus or a duelist's pistol, and I generally switch out the last slot with either grenades or a short-range weapon, depending on the circumstances. I love the light arquebus for its high reload speed over the jezzail, and generally use it against groups of lighter-infantry/archers.

I have been using a dark kings sword and a duelist pistol but I'm finding that in the late game the DKS just doesn't work because the swing slashing damage doesn't hurt anyone and I don't like thrusting very much because you have to be much more careful with your timing and it's slower.

So I bought a giant hammer and a great hammer and tried them both but neither of them actually work on a horse (you can't do anything, bug?) and even on foot you can't side swing, you can only do the overhead swing. 

Any 2-h suggestions for late game? Otherwise, I might have to switch to pole to get one of those pole maces I have borcha and artimenner using.

2H, there are a variety of options at the very top end:

1. The Iron Mace (not sure why anybody hasn't noticed how OP it is, but I just fixed it for the next release, lol).
2.  The axes are all up at a range where overhand swings (i.e., head hits) are fatal to even most people with helmets.  I just did some juggling of their stats as well; I didn't realize they were all exactly the same still- variety is, in fact, good, if for no other reason than than it gives people new things to find and abuse :razz:
3.  The short halberds are good choppers and can pierce on thrusts, giving them good overall damage.
4.  The Fine Relic Greatsword is a nice weapon that few people notice (140c, 70p, speed 120).

Really, though, if you have enough STR, you can make just about any 2H sword work; making the axes work is more problematic, unless you have enough speed to stay away from your enemies.

But for a lot of builds, it's actually more practical to use the 1H picks and maces and a shield, because Shield Bash gives you a lot of "run away, run away" power.

I know all the weapons you mentioned, Iron maces I give to my companions, for a 2-H pierce weapon I prefer another one, forgot it's name, I don't have it in the new version. Still, in siege I guarantee the Fine Military Hammer with shield bash works extremely well, just bash when surrounded and while the enemy is down a overhand swing with your hammer and they die, whether they wear helmets or not.

Yeah, the Iron Mace was a big "oops", lol.  Oh well, it's fixed now.  I think that people will like having axes with more variety, too, and a few of the 2H swords got boosts, in particular the Executioner's Swords and the ridiculous chunk of iron known as the War Cleaver, which has never been worth using, is finally, probably, maybe worth using now.  Maybe.

I just want to note that I love that you gave a lot more weapons the "Crush Blocks" ability, they sorely needed -some- kind of boost. I agree that I'd love to use axes, but they're generally just not worth it. Not enough speed or reach to do much, and their damage is generally only equal to or less than two-handed swords. I hope you found a nice way of balancing them.

Okay, I've playtested a bit with the axes and I've noticed a couple things. One, a lot of them don't seem to have changed much. Many of them, especially the "battle axe" series of 2h axes, are still far too slow and have far too short of a reach to make any effective use out of them. Especially when on horseback, in which case a 65 speed feels like you're moving backwards in time. That said, many of the axes are far better and much more usable. Given the fact they can crush through blocks and pwn weaker shields in one hit, I can see making some good out of them.

Still, it would be nice if we could get rid of the 65-speed axes, or at least give them reaches of 110+. The battle axe I playtested had a speed of 65 and a reach of 80. Not very useful at all. Sure, I may get one good hit on the first guy that comes up and kill him, but then a swarm huddles around me while I'm trying to recover and swing again.

Just my own observations. Btw, I playtested with a new game -and- with an old game, everything appears to work with savegames.

OK, so 2H axes probably need a mild bump up in speed.  I can't go a lot higher, or they're basically just 2H swords that cleave shields better, which isn't terrifically realistic, but I can go a bit upwards.

Not -all- of them, mind you! But 65 could, perhaps, be bumped up to 80. It would feel more real. As is, it seems like the character is heaving a steel two-by-four.

As a Barbarian...

Siege Assault
Elite Short Halberd (The bastard variation with 120 range 120 speed)
2 Hand Grenades
Board Shield

Siege Defense
Elite Short Halberd
3 Hand Grenades

In Field against Low Armor
Glaive (Forget which one, has 190 range and 90 speed or something like that)
1 Grenade
Bow and Arrows

In Field against High Armor
Manhunters short pole hammer
Board Shield
Blunderbus
Ammo

This is on mommy mode. On normal mode I just steamroll with a elite short halberd and 3 grenades, on all battles.

As a Barbarian, Sergeant :

Two Handed sword mostly,  Dark king's sword, Sword of Light, Relic Sword ... Fast swords with decent range
Hand Grenades : Great for siege, for cleaning the top of the ladder,  kinda OP, I try not using them very much cause it gets boring after a while ...
Guard's Halberd, Axe Halberd, Footmen's Bill : Slow but fun to use once you get the thing, especially against cavalry  :mrgreen:

As a Brigand, Merchant :

Duelist Pistol
Blunderbuss
Ammo
Ammo or some 1h sword
Horse 

Mounted Gun is just badass you can kill dozens of enemy with almost no skill

Swords with their cutting damage seriously underachieve against heavier armors, as they would by logic, so I use what is basically a huge slab of stone on one end of a stick:Giant Hammer.

Sure it feels like Matrix bullet time when you swing it with its mighty 40 speed :mrgreen: (there is only overhead swing for some reason I can't comprehend) but when it hits, it is almost always instakill for all except maybe expert troops. I average around 150-200 damage with 620 something as high as I could go, though last night Sanjar Khan survived 4 hits.. tough bugger. The only thing you need to be wary of is morningstar/mace wielding mobs overrunning you. If you have Heroic health on (like me), then you can always backtrack while bashing some skulls with its 140 reach.

On horseback it is either Midnight or an Elite Scimitar & Shield depending on the likeliness of my horse dying in the battle, accompanied by a Blunderbuss. What I can't catch on horse, I shoot down.

Heh.  Giant mauls.  One blow to rule them all  :lol:

Personally, I'm sort've becoming fond of the Sword of Light; looks cool, moves fast, does just enough Cut for boom-headshot even against guys with real armor on.  Provided that you're a barb; I think if I was playing another class, I'd want something with better first-hit kill.

That, and I'm getting a real kick out of watch Deshavi dispatch people with the War Cleaver.  After much experimentation, it really appears that you get the most bang-for-buck when the Heroes get 2H weapons, preferably something with enough crunch that it kills pretty consistently.  Once they have enough armor to absorb some random flak, they're quite capable of reducing bandits, skeletons and various flavors of non-Faction armies to dust single-handedly.  A full boat of Heroes is fairly ferocious.  My main problem is keeping them grouped well enough to achieve really efficient meat-grinder effects while the rest of the army either contributes missile damage or provides some backup.

Oh, and wow, those poor Swadian experts.  Durable as all get out, but their epocs just aren't doing the job worth a darn.  Tempted to make them all-stab so that the AI will actually fight properly, they tend to pretend they're arming swords.

Gr. Adm. Thrawn said:
Swords with their cutting damage seriously underachieve against heavier armors, as they would by logic, so I use what is basically a huge slab of stone on one end of a stick:Giant Hammer.

Sure it feels like Matrix bullet time when you swing it with its mighty 40 speed :mrgreen: (there is only overhead swing for some reason I can't comprehend) but when it hits, it is almost always instakill for all except maybe expert troops. I average around 150-200 damage with 620 something as high as I could go, though last night Sanjar Khan survived 4 hits.. tough bugger. The only thing you need to be wary of is morningstar/mace wielding mobs overrunning you. If you have Heroic health on (like me), then you can always backtrack while bashing some skulls with its 140 reach.

On horseback it is either Midnight or an Elite Scimitar & Shield depending on the likeliness of my horse dying in the battle, accompanied by a Blunderbuss. What I can't catch on horse, I shoot down.
MSP is usually deadly in 1 hit to heavy armor troops, it's 1-H, faster, excellent reach and if you miss/enemy dodges your attack, you won't have to wait 5 secs to swing again.

I found nice toy named Masterwork War Hammer. It's short, fast and deals excellent pierce damage so it rocks in sieges where walls are often very crowded.

Back
Top Bottom