Weapon Durability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do you think adding weapon durabilty would be a good idea in warband? Like after a certain number of thrusts, swings, kills, shots, your weapon would break like a shield. An there will be an icon like the shel showing your weapon cracking. Post your opinions. Please and Thank you.

Certainly would make things more interesting, but things such as scimitar's will break easy and everyone will just spam their 2h weapons even worse than they do now and since if weapons break you'd probably have to bring a backup and only carry one shield then if that breaks, you're dead.

Due to the length of a battle i think weapon durability would be a little tedious in Multiplayer. Might be worth considering for singleplayer campaign though but my vote is a no.

Caleb ConDoin said:
Do you think adding weapon durabilty would be a good idea in warband? Like after a certain number of thrusts, swings, kills, shots, your weapon would break like a shield. An there will be an icon like the shel showing your weapon cracking. Post your opinions. Please and Thank you.

I would think it would be a good idea only for blocking. It should degrade just like shields on attacks. Although balancing this may be impossible.

Darkness said:
Caleb ConDoin said:

I would think it would be a good idea only for blocking. It should degrade just like shields on attacks. Although balancing this may be impossible.
I agree, on Auto block servers swords are better than shields in duels cuz they cant break

Leto said:
Darkness said:
Caleb ConDoin said:

I agree, on Auto block servers swords are better than shields in duels cuz they cant break

Exactly. I thought of this exact thing when we were playing DM auto block earlier today. Most of us went manual block for more fun, but I remember thinking. Wow, it would be so much more fair for choosing manual block on an autoblock server if weapons took "damage". A manual blocker has a very large disadvantage to an auto blocker because the auto blocker's weapon acts basically as a shield that is indestructible.

Darkness said:
Leto said:
Darkness said:
Caleb ConDoin said:

Exactly. I thought of this exact thing when we were playing DM auto block earlier today. Most of us went manual block for more fun, but I remember thinking. Wow, it would be so much more fair for choosing manual block on an autoblock server if weapons took "damage". A manual blocker has a very large disadvantage to an auto blocker because the auto blocker's weapon acts basically as a shield that is indestructible.

man why don't we use auto block =destructible weapon since you will block brutishly and manually block will not be destructible since you block it skillfully ^^ their are ways to block weapons with out them breaking you know?

I think it would be better to have weapon quality deteriorate rather than have weapons eventually break.

Typically, a sword wouldn't break, but the edge would grow dull making its offensive capability limited. Of course, thrusting would pretty much not deteriorate.

Who knows. I think that weapons should at least be able to be knocked out of your hand with a low chance or something. Maybe some kind of disarming feature?

Axes and polearms can break though in real life.

ares007 said:
I think it would be better to have weapon quality deteriorate rather than have weapons eventually break.

Typically, a sword wouldn't break, but the edge would grow dull making its offensive capability limited. Of course, thrusting would pretty much not deteriorate.

Who knows. I think that weapons should at least be able to be knocked out of your hand with a low chance or something. Maybe some kind of disarming feature?

Axes and polearms can break though in real life.

Actaully isnt it possible for larger swords to break smaller ones?

Blocking with wooden weapons against sharp wepons should break them quickly. But it could be balanced out by giving them some more attack damage instead.

You just picked up your brand new sword from the smithy in your liege lord's city, and it's an expertly crafted blade. It holds a razor-sharp edge and is perfectly balanced for you. Your lord commands that you move to head off an enemy advance in his lands, and you ride to battle.

You're facing a knight in heavy steel armor, and you both swing and bash at each other with your swords. In the end, it boils down to an endurance test. The sharpness of your blade means nothing because you're swinging it against resilient steel, and your razor edge eventually grows dull. Your fine slicing and dicing weapon has become essentially a club, and your only lethal option is thrusting into a weak spot in your enemy's armor.

That's medieval combat. You swing and bash at each other, trying to tire out your enemy. When they're tired and stumble or make a mistake, you take advantage and incapacitate them.

Here's M&B combat.

You just visited Rivacheg, and you picked up a balanced bastard sword from the weapons merchant. King Yaroglek tells you he needs 87 sumpter horses, and he needs them now. You start travelling from town to town, and you pick up all of the sumpter horses you can find. You come across some pesky Swadians and decide to slaughter them mercilessly. You ride into battle, and everyone dies in two or three blows from your sword. After swinging maybe 30 times, you and your party have killed the Swadians.

That's M&B combat. Your battles don't last long enough to deteriorate your weapon any significant amount, let alone break it. Your weapon is only going to break if it's poorly made, poorly treated, incredibly old, or a combination of the three. Polearms could break, yes, and I can imagine many spears were cut in half by axes and large swords, but to make only spears break would be horrible.

yes, but i think in large scale battles people died alot faster, in reality of course. but player vs player probably will have more sword blowing as they are mostly good at parrying

Alexa said:
how can wooden sticks have more damage than a sword, spear or something like that? a sharp or dull blade would have alot more damage either way

Depends on how its made ^^

Have you ever heard of iron wood? It is so strong most metal equipments now day dull or gets ruined after hitting it.

Alexa said:
i dont think most weapon like swords would break during 1 battle, and give wooden weapons more damage? thats just stupid
I meant spiked clubs, halberds, axes and such. They have a metal blade but the poles are still wooden. Which means they should break fast if blocking, but they could deal out a lot of damage since the strike will be heavier than with a sword.

Hitting any sort of dense hardwood with a thin metal edge is asking for trouble. And you would be surprised, wooden hafts can be surprisingly resilient. They usually aren't clamped in a vice for the enemy to swing at, you're going to try to redirect the energy of the blow.

Anyway, for those who aren't interested in going 'tl;dr' or 'realism izx teh suX':
There was a pretty intense debate that I recall reading about, which is sort of related to this issue. Apparently some in the historical european martial arts community insisted that you always block and parry with the flat of your sword. On cursory examination, it makes sense because it prevents edge damage (you haven't seen what hard edge-to-edge strikes can do to perfectly good swords), but when you examine it in greater detail it's bloody hard to do so because that is not a plane where you are naturally strong in.

Most of this is done with your edge against the flat of the opponents blade, though it is occasionally possible to slap aside a strike by striking his flat aside with your flat. Under those circumstances you're not going to ding up your blade very quickly unless the swordsmith was goofing off while he was forging your sword. Your life expectancy is likely to be much lower than that of your blade anyway, so why bother? Weapon durability should be very low on the to-do list of the devs.

Back
Top Bottom