We who are about to Die! Made by an old m&b modder - me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone! Thanks to Gib and Noob for reminding me (accidentally) in the discord to post here! :smile:

Wow! A lot has happened. Development has progressed very strongly the last year and I'm happy to say the game has a rough blockout of all gameplay features, after 6 long years of dev. Its currently in the last stages before early access release.
I've added a load of career menu/strategic management features as well as kept refining the combat and all other aspects of the game.

I'm currently in another wave of playtesting and bugfixing and have recently given out access to a few hundred people to playtest the full game. If you're interested in joining future playtests request access (and wishlist!) here:

The Steam page also had a decent update so you can see the current state of the game a bit better.
Pop in the discord and join us, lots of people sharing screenshots and characters already: https://discord.com/invite/eCdUxht

The upcoming milestones are the Steam Next Fest where I'll have a public demo for all to play!
Here's some random imagery, mostly from the last months:

worded my question badly. I meant how was the game (good/bad)
Ah, sorry. I've played for about an hour so far & will go for a bit more some time soonTM. Can't really judge properly yet, so heres just a few thoughts:

So far, I dislike the way the camera system works and the stamina system in general - both make things feel more clunky than they need to be, IMO.
Picking attack directions (and actually attacking) is an interesting system that I found a bit hard to fully get into but I can imagine it to be very satisfying when you get the hang of it.
there seems to be a good bit of rogue-like/lite stuff that you can do outside of fights (but I havent gotten far enough to really judge that, yet).
In general I didn't notice any major bugs apart from one enemy just completly freezing and not doing anything anymore.

iirc, there were some drums constantly playing in the background even though I turned off music, got a bit annoying at times.
iirc, the game didn't go over 60 fps for some reason? it held that very stable but I should've been able to get more

tl;dr: worth a try. Im pretty **** at it so far (and I blame the stamina system!) but havent played much yet. will probably post again when I've played more.

ok, hold on to your seat, you won't believe it:
through this very thread
:lol:
Double post - sorry TW gods!
bender-futurama.gif

Nice work, good to see some progress at it!

I keep forgetting to join the Discord, but I do shill for your game occasionally.
Thank you!! that's what I need :smile:

I keep hoping it’ll be a spiritual successor to Colosseum: Road to freedom

That was my favorite gladiator game of all time
It shares a ton of similarities. Basically merge Colosseum: road to freedom with M&B with Exanima and a few others and pour it into a roguelite genre
Big question is: Will it be modable? :wink:

Its some kind of mortal sin as an ex modder but, unfortunately no. Simple answer is I had enough on my plate as a solo dev and I'm also not techncially the strongest + unreal engine is not exactly modding friendly. If I ever do another project I will focus on this a lot more now that I have some more programming experience.

The camera being so up close makes it look much more brutal.
I remember in the beginning it looked cartoon'ish (incl. the character design). Now it's bloodbath mayhem :razz:
Over the years it gradually became less and less stylised yeah! I just followed what the reponses were of the community and the project itself definitely 'matured' so to speak. There's still a bit of that idyllic larger than life stuff in there which is nice, particularly on the environments but I'm glad I got great feedback along the way to move away from the heavily stylised stuff.

Back
Top Bottom