We Want Modding Tools, TW

Users who are viewing this thread

We are waiting it. I hope it will comes quickly.
I doubt we will have modding tools until the game is officially released. I'm sure TW has more pressing things than making modding tools available for a game that is still in development. (I would also like modding tools available soon, though...)

The only problem with mods in EA could be the fact that many mods (even a few of them in fact) can make it difficult to find out what's causing a certain bug or crash, which is (I hope) a primary goal for devs right now.

You'll scarcely be able to help TW in finding out the existing problems. But, if you don't want that, there should be no problem for you)

they've just made a change to a core inner mechanic which is object id or something like that. a friday patch didn't come because of that. i suffered. deeply. greatly. now imagine having to fix not only the game but also mod tools whenever such changes happen. i want mod tools, but i bet even modders want a full and stable release much more than tools now since until full release they'd have to keep updating mods possibly having to make big changes whenever game updates, which is tiresome and renders saves unplayable for days until done.

The only problem with mods in EA could be the fact that many mods (even a few of them in fact) can make it difficult to find out what's causing a certain bug or crash, which is (I hope) a primary goal for devs right now.

You'll scarcely be able to help TW in finding out the existing problems. But, if you don't want that, there should be no problem for you)

Pretty sure the point OP was making is that the vast majority of people wont even play EA without the ability to mod ****, especially considering how lacking in content the current build is, which essentially makes your point moot about not being able to help TW find bugs, because if we're not playing because of lack of content, we're not finding bugs....

Very bad idea. Becose it will be like:
1) play ea
2) drop
3) play vanila a little bit again
4) drop forever
With modding tools you can change 4. to "play overhaul mods"

You can't make overhaul mods with the condition the game is in. Or rather you could with the tools, but you would have to redo a lot of the work over and over as they release new patches. No one in their right mind would embark in a project like that. They will release mod tools when the game is stable enough to support them.

Pretty sure the point OP was making is that the vast majority of people wont even play EA without the ability to mod ****, especially considering how lacking in content the current build is, which essentially makes your point moot about not being able to help TW find bugs, because if we're not playing because of lack of content, we're not finding bugs....

Plenty of people playing without mods, I never installed a single mod myself. Besides bug reports from people with mods are as likely to hurt development as they are likely to help.

speaking as a modder, the sooner the better because we are not going to be making top quality mods over a night.
I know I got years of development time ahead for some of the larger projects and they will not be finished before early access has ended.

speaking as a modder, the sooner the better because we are not going to be making top quality mods over a night.
I know I got years of development time ahead for some of the larger projects and they will not be finished before early access has ended.
would you like mod tools now all the same knowing you'll have to redo core parts of your big and complex mod many times over whenever core parts of the game get changed (like object id was in 1.3 beta)?

would you like mod tools now all the same knowing you'll have to redo core parts of your big and complex mod many times over whenever core parts of the game get changed (like object id was in 1.3 beta)?

yes, it can take months to just learn how to use a tool correctly, practice time is needed.
also the mod tools that have been promised are mainly be able to import/export assets, model rigging, create scenes and art, this type of work can always be performed even if source code would change and is usually easy to adapt to changes,
its usually also the most time consuming part in development so I would be happy if i can start working on that asap.

whats more subjected to changes is scripting, and we don't really need mod tools for that as you might have seen, even if it will surely help.

First of all, we need good documentation. Community documentation covers only a piece of the framework. Sure, browsing assemblies with dnSpy helps you understand how to do certain things, but the documentation will help a lot more.

yes, it can take months to just learn how to use a tool correctly, practice time is needed.
also the mod tools that have been promised are mainly be able to import/export assets, model rigging, create scenes and art, this type of work can always be performed even if source code would change and is usually easy to adapt to changes,
its usually also the most time consuming part in development so I would be happy if i can start working on that asap.

whats more subjected to changes is scripting, and we don't really need mod tools for that as you might have seen, even if it will surely help.
i agree the graphics part of the tool (making towns, weapons, armor etc) would be welcome. ability to export and import assets. i wanna make a "camp" mod for a bandit or nomad "kingdom" to "settle temporarily" for "smithy", "trade" with caravans, even "arena" between troops etc. not gonna make it in the end but will definitely play with the tool and dream. i can do 3d modeling and a bit of coding. not sure i got what it takes to actually understand the whole DLL thing in order to make an actual mod. if they provided a full set of tools and documentation/reference so i can write script and get help integrating it in the game, then it's a whole other story.

I can see this as a legitimate concern for TW. Mods definitely complicate their task of finding bugs and balance issues. Still, people are already using lots of mods so the ship's already sailed on that. They should be able to get a decent picture of just how many players are using mods from the crash reports they're receiving, so if its a big enough percentage, or if they see that over time modders are sticking around while non-modders are dropping away, then they'd probably be better off releasing the tools sooner rather than later.

Personally, I really hope they release them early, with the caveat that anybody's mod can be broken at any time. Like @blackdoggie says, it takes time to learn the tools and more time to build the mods so it would be great to let the modders get to work. If Bannerlord gets to launch and there are already a bunch of big mods ready to go, that could be a huge selling point for the game.

Dont see any problem. You need atleast few months to make good mod even with a team. So any mod of VC or PoP level will be ready somewhere near realese.
Yeah but youll still have Mods making crashes making it harder to bug find and fix.
You'll get 4 pages of people going my game broke and at the end you'll have them go oh I had 20 mods. (Dayz)
Would be cool to have then now but wouldn't hold my breath

Yeah but youll still have Mods making crashes making it harder to bug find and fix.
It si problem of moders, not of devs. And you need a month two of work just before first start. I really want to see mod tool. Models textures, scenes are the 80% of work. And they dont care about version of the game.

It si problem of moders, not of devs. And you need a month two of work just before first start. I really want to see mod tool. Models textures, scenes are the 80% of work. And they dont care about version of the game.
It would be cool I have a couple projects to work on but(Ill just have to not sleep as much to do it faster) with all those people complaining in Steam and to friends it broke you can see the problem?? Most people will be like jeez that's a **** game always crashing.

Back
Top Bottom