We should have the ability to make companions lords!

Should we be able to make companions lords?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Can't agree more, if we are kings we should do what we want.

Yeah. Like be able to counter all votes despite not having influence. I mean I can understand how telling your vassals to go take a leap might piss them off, but your King so your word should be law.....until they decided to defect or rebel anyway. Right now way too much of the diplomatic system seems like it works more like a democracy, which is exactly what it is IF your vassals can override your Veto.

As for player companions being made into lords, yeah that should be a thing. I mean if all the Kings in the game can elevate a scrubby player without a noble background such as yourself to a Lord, why can't you do the same thing once your King.

The key to doing this though is balance so make it so there are requirements that have to be met before you can elevate a companion to a lord. For example, the lord in question must have independent command one of your parties and make it so he has to earn 200-300 renown as leader of that party before he become eligible for elevation. That way you couldn't just spam out new lords as it would take a significant amount of time for a companion to earn the required renown on his own.

Not necessarily against the concept, but the premise is wrong: you don't need millions to attract other lords. If you have good relations (like you will with any clan you've married into, for example, or helped in battle, or defeated in battle and released) AND pick a landless clan, they'll join for peanuts - or even pay you.
How much money does X relation = ?
In multiple games it seems indiscernible in price between clans with 0 relation and clans 50+.
Your power going up seems to directly reduce their price (even to zero) though.

How much money does X relation = ?
In multiple games it seems indiscernible in price between clans with 0 relation and clans 50+.
Your power going up seems to directly reduce their price (even to zero) though.

I can answer this.

I recruited a lord with positive 59 relation and it cost me something like 29k to get him to join me. I then proceed to win the dialog minigame on a lord that had something like negative 89 relation and the sum of my entire assets wasn't enough. The auto-offer took every penny of my money which as about 1.9 million Denars at the time and everything in my inventory which was probably worth another 200k since I had loot from about 5-6 major battles and trade goods on me, and the bar maybe only filled up 20%. I might have been able to recruit him for 10-15 million Denars, maybe.

I can answer this.

I recruited a lord with positive 59 relation and it cost me something like 29k to get him to join me. I then proceed to win the dialog minigame on a lord that had something like negative 89 relation and the sum of my entire assets wasn't enough. The auto-offer took every penny of my money which as about 1.9 million Denars at the time and everything in my inventory which was probably worth another 200k since I had loot from about 5-6 major battles and trade goods on me, and the bar maybe only filled up 20%. I might have been able to recruit him for 10-15 million Denars, maybe.
That doesn't answer it at all though and doesn't even make sense if I tried to look at it like an actual relationship of cost.

That doesn't answer it at all though and doesn't even make sense if I tried to look at it like an actual relationship of cost.
Playing the game doesn't need a precise formula. Lords you're friendly with are (much) easier to win the minigame with, and seem to be a fair bit cheaper to hire (but I believe clan tier and traits also factor in to cost). There are a lot of clans - more than you need. The point made to the OP was that you don't need millions: you just need to be talking to the right clans.

Going to drop the normal "well you can do it in Warband" - which I guess is right enough, but I do agree, you should be able to do so. There is not a RTR concept in Bannerlord but even from a historical perspective it wouldn't be uncommon for generals or other high ranking members of an "inner council" to be elevated to nobility (or Emperors, during the Crisis of the Third Century)

I'll digress on the historical precedence, but it would make for more enjoyable gameplay, I usually go for 300 Trading to grab a town and a castle and when I pop a Kingdom I almost immediately get declared on and just having companions in Parties does not help too much. Making them Lords would help with fief management as I expand and I believe their party cap goes up a lot higher (and you don't need to pay for their parties, either).

I would also extend this idea that the AI should also hire wanderers, it would be fun to get into a battle and have to fight and lord and their "champions" and it could help the AI maintain the number of Clans / Lords in their own Kingdoms towards late game, especially when Lord death in Auto-calc is added. Right now, without minor factions marrying, and with children not coming of age before a clan is wiped out (due to a lack of an "orphan/adoption" mechanic), late game ends up being a very dull affair of chasing down the same party of 50 recruits until I can land a killing blow on a Lord or get annoyed and execute them.
+1 to this post

There is a mod for this on nexusmods. It's called "Adopt into family". You promote a companion into a member of your clan with the cost of some renown.

When they've become independent lords, they should also marry so that they will grow their clan. Or perhaps we should have the ability to give them some of our companions.

There is a mod for this on nexusmods. It's called "Adopt into family". You promote a companion into a member of your clan with the cost of some renown.
That is not what this is about. This is about making your companions into actual lords, with their own clan and everything. Making them independent actors allied to you initially.

Arent clan members technically lords though like since castles and towns are tied to a clan your asking to allow us to make compainions a seperate clan not lords

Arent clan members technically lords though like since castles and towns are tied to a clan your asking to allow us to make compainions a seperate clan not lords
Well technically you may be right, but in-game they are called governors if they rule a castle and party leaders if they own a party. So in-game they aren't actual lords. But yes I want us to be able to create new clans that are initially allied to us.

Just wanted to update the thread with what the devs have said. So the feature does not seem to be approved, but they are going to bring it up in a suggestion meeting, and the dev also thinks it falls under polish.

What do people think about that? Do you think we will see companions made into lords with their own clans in Bannelord at some point?

Quotes:
RichardAytemur said:
My question in my example creating a clan for your family members and companion feature, is there any chance to have that kind of feature in the game?

Currently, such a feature is not approved, but I can bring it up at a suggestion meeting. I do think this falls more under polish than essential feature though.

Just wanted to update the thread with what the devs have said. So the feature does not seem to be approved, but they are going to bring it up in a suggestion meeting, and the dev also thinks it falls under polish.

What do people think about that? Do you think we will see companions made into lords with their own clans in Bannelord at some point?

Quotes:
RichardAytemur said:
My question in my example creating a clan for your family members and companion feature, is there any chance to have that kind of feature in the game?
The good news is that they consider it polishing. Maybe that means other features we are waiting for fall under that category as well. It also means that the game isn't feature complete yet.

The issue with this suggestion though is this doesn't work the same as it does in Warband.

Right now you can make your companions lead armies, govern settlements, act as envoys etc etc. Effectively they are a 'lord' or a lords agent at least but they always act in your name.

What you are suggesting is allowing your companions to form new clans. That's a lot more involved in bannerlord - as that means that companion can then marry, hire their own companions - etc etc.

A clan is a much more important entity then a lord was in warband. And being able to form new ones is very powerful. I'm not sayin I wouldn't like to see it; but implemented wrong it could break the game very easily.

The good news is that they consider it polishing. Maybe that means other features we are waiting for fall under that category as well. It also means that the game isn't feature complete yet.
My thoughts as well.

The issue with this suggestion though is this doesn't work the same as it does in Warband.

Right now you can make your companions lead armies, govern settlements, act as envoys etc etc. Effectively they are a 'lord' or a lords agent at least but they always act in your name.

What you are suggesting is allowing your companions to form new clans. That's a lot more involved in bannerlord - as that means that companion can then marry, hire their own companions - etc etc.

A clan is a much more important entity then a lord was in warband. And being able to form new ones is very powerful. I'm not sayin I wouldn't like to see it; but implemented wrong it could break the game very easily.
Well they could limit it by needing a fief available to form a new clan, and perhaps even make it so that you would be unable to elevate someone if there is a clan in your kingdom without a fief. It would also be naturally limited by your companions skills, you would not want to elevate someone who isn't of command material.
Besides, who is to say that the clan will be loyal to you indefinitely? Maybe you make the wrong decisions and irk just that clan, making them leave your kingdom to join that of your rivals?

Powerful, yes, but also limited.

I apologise if this is a revival of the thread, but in light of recent news I think it is understandable.

Granting of Peerage to Companions​

While adventuring through Calradia, it is almost guaranteed that you will pick up a companion or two to accompany you on your journey. These characters can fight alongside you in battle, or assist you with crafting, questing, or governing your fiefs. They may also be assigned to lead caravans or clan parties to earn you additional coin or influence. As your campaign progresses and the bonds between you and your followers develop, we feel that it’s only appropriate that you should be able to reward them for their loyalty and service by elevating them to the ranks of the nobility, if you so choose of course!

Does this mean what I think it means? That we will be able to make our companions into new clans loyal to us initially? @Duh_TaleWorlds
Sorry for tagging you, but I think this is very important and would love some confirmation.

They will like you. Whether they will be loyal... :razz: (they will be turned into fully fledged clan leaders - with all the pros and cons that come with it)
So they will basically be a clan with a single lord and we will have to wait until they get rng'd married for any potential to grow that clan?

They are going to be pretty useless clans for at least the first generation. Any chance of us being able to marry companions (companion x companion marriage) before turning them into a clan and then turning the couple into a clan? That's the only way I can think of easily making them more than useless clans.

So they will basically be a clan with a single lord and we will have to wait until they get rng'd married for any potential to grow that clan?

They are going to be pretty useless clans for at least the first generation. Any chance of us being able to marry companions (companion x companion marriage) before turning them into a clan and then turning the couple into a clan? That's the only way I can think of easily making them more than useless clans.
Why do you assume that? We only know so far that we will be able to make our companions into new vassals, we know nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom