We need better Wanderer game start spawn system.

Users who are viewing this thread

What are you doing in the game? I could imagine just roaming around if there were interesting places to detect and explore or mighty bandit or invasion hordes or criminal minor clans to fight, but there is none. Do you use mods to add something (like in earlier versions Calradia at War and Scum and Villainy)?

I usually cannot decide whom to join as vassal (I don't like the fief gameplay as offered by the game that much, so clunky, albeit I like being able to form armies and help the faction), but as mercenary you can at least take part in battles or hunt lords (if you can bear the bad AI) while remaining flexible to a certain degree. So I'm usually playing mostly as mercenary.
As I have dozens of playthrougs under my belt since feb 2020, Im kind of burned out with this game.
With 1.8 update, I have started yet another one with some self-imposed rules.
1. no wife...I broke this rule after few hours as I have weird crush on Ladogual 🤷🏻‍♂️
2. no mercenary
3. no vassal
4. no kingdom
5. visit every location in game + always enter location to speak with quest giver...to be frank I have discovered, after 2 years of playing, some nice sceneries and even castles that make sense from architecture point of view
6. Run with Realistic Battle Mod
7. Run with troop overhaul mod De Re Militari. Besides being the best mod for troops for me, it changes also bandit troops significantly and now they really pose a challenge to fight.

In general, Im doing quests of all kind, raid bandit hideouts, do some horse trading in Aserai Lands from time to time. My next goal is to find and buy all those beautiful bows from this mod.

Last edited:
Ahh, I dont really bother with settlements anymore. I did at one point try a campaign where I wanted to play "tall" so I spend alot of time solving quests, getting to 100 relationship with notables etc. around towns. But, at the end the effects were too small to really matter and I figured that, with the amount of time spend on it, I could have made millions from battles instead.

So, I dont keep many towns and the ones I do keep I just dump enough troops into them to make sure security is high enough to handle a few negative events.

I believe Arena XP is back. You do get "decent" xp from it.

But, the two weak minor clans are both close to the starting point in the main campaign, so I just go "warband" and solo one or two parties for an early powerlevelling boost, then rescue my brother to serve as steward and then start raising an army. It can take as little as a few weeks, mainly depending on how much time I need to spend picking up the core companions, to transition to the merc-lord hunting phase of the game.

Though, this is not particularly satisfying. The weakness of companions as warriors, outside of ranged atleast, means you dont really get that satisfying feeling of seeing your warband gradually grow stronger.
they aren't weak, they just have disgustingly useless gear, cost 400 denars a pop and drains your daily wages. It's basically a non-viable choice until you are sitting in gold to buy them the best gear from the get go, than you have to train them (leave soldiers somewhere or dismiss almost the entire party and handhold them for a couple in-game weeks). After that they're godlike, but the cost's not all that inviting. I mean, 400 a pop to hire + at bare minimum 500k to make them truly shine in melee.

Now, my 2 major disgusts with Bannerlord are very early game and late game. At very early their bias towards mounted-archers' astonishing. The best and often only viable way to level your PC is using it, even if it means literally wasting 2 focus points for bow + riding, otherwise, if you try a melee warrior from the get-go, it's one of the worst gaming experiences you can get, it's not profitable and a massive time-sink. (due to arenas not giving decent XP). Than late game, where we have absolutely nothing to do with our ludicrous amounts of gold other than try to play "border-gore police" by trading fiefs, and that ONLY IF YOU UNLOCKED THE EFFING PERK. Otherwise you won't be able to do even that.

Ehm, thats what I just said. Their rate of fire is too slow to do a "dancing with wolves". I mean do you really want to do that for every single battle?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by dances with wolves, only thing I know about that film is the general concept.

Also, when you say Rhodok Crossbowmen have slow rate of fire, I was talking about Vaegir Archers.
Besides this, I do not mind fearing them. If you not supposed to fear a ranged unit, at range, then when? The important thing is that once you close the distance then the table is turned and you become the wolf.
You should fear a ranged unit if they are able to bombard you from safety; i.e. sieges, on top of cliffs, behind allied formations protecting them.

You should not fear a ranged unit if you are able to directly charge them on an open field like I described.

Yet this is what happens in Bannerlord. Your troops cannot even charge archers across an open field without dying, because they die in just 4 arrows! You cannot "close the distance and become the wolf" because even if you do survive, you will be at only 25% health. The archer will kill you in melee.

It should be that armoured troops without shields go even with archers if they can charge them directly; and armoured troops with shields should easily defeat archers if they can charge them directly.

Instead, what happens now is that shock/pike troops get slaughtered by archers before they even reach their lines, and shield troops go roughly even with archers. Which makes archers stupidly overpowered.

Let me ask you a better question: If a melee unit and a ranged unit do roughly the same damage, but the ranged unit can do it from a range while the melee unit can only do it at melee, why would you bother having melee units?

Reminds me of Ranulf at Brissarthe 866 AD. While his buddy Robert was killed in melee because he did not wear helmet and mail shirt, Ranulf was downed by an arrow while on horse fully armored, and being the duke of Aquitaine he surely hadn't the worst armor. He would have strongly supported a rule that x arrows min were needed to kill. :wink:
Downed by an arrow where though? Because in 866, "fully armoured" typically meant an open-faced helmet.

What's more, according to one of the only sources I can find that goes into detail: https://books.google.com.au/books?redir_esc=y&id=gkO9AAAAIAAJ&q=ranulf#v=snippet&q=ranulf&f=false

It says Ranulf FLED, and that he LATER died from his wound. Therefore, he was clearly not struck down by an arrow on the spot like in Bannerlord.

Now against that one vague example, I have multiple more specific historical examples to provide.

"Anna Comnena wrote that during the Battle of Duazzo (1108 AD), the Byzantines resorted to shooting the Frankish horses because their arrows were ineffective against Frankish mail."
"Joinville describes his servants donning him in his jousting hauberk as he lay ill on the deck of a ship to protect him from incoming Saracen arrows.68 Joinville later recounts an incident involving Walter of Châtillon in which Saracen missiles were ineffective:

...and whilst the Turks were fleeing before him, they (who shoot as well backwards as forwards) would cover him with darts. When he had driven them out of the village, he would pick out the darts that were sticking all over him; and put on his coat-of-arms again... Then, turning round, and seeing that the Turks had come in at the other end of the street, he would charge them again, sword in hand, and drive them out. And this he did about three times in the manner I have described.69"

"During the 3rd Crusade, Bahā'al-Dīn, Saladin's biographer, wrote that the Norman crusaders were:

...drawn up in front of the cavalry, stood firm as a wall, and every foot-soldier wore a vest of thick felt and a coat of mail so dense and strong that our arrows made no impression on them... I saw some with from one to ten arrows sticking in them, and still advancing at their ordinary pace without leaving the ranks."

All of this is also borne out by modern testing. When wearing an aketon underneath mail, modern testing shows that arrows will penetrate roughly an inch, or less, into the body behind. This is not enough to outright kill someone, as no vital organs on the body are an inch from the surface of the skin.

@Sweynforkbeard I also just tested 60 T5 Legionaries, who are the best shield infantry and should hard counter ranged infantry, against 60 T5 Fians. The Fians inflicted almost equal casualties to the Legionaries - 45 versus 41!

Then I tried Sturgian Heavy Axemen against Vlandian Sharpshooters. The Sharpshooters actually bloody won with 8 men left!!

Imperial Sergeant Crossbowmen versus Battanian Oathsworn? The Sergeant Crossbowmen won with 32 men left!!!

Arrows need to do less damage to armour. It is not realistic, and it is not good for balanced or entertaining gameplay, in its current state.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by dances with wolves, only thing I know about that film is the general concept.
Its from the opening scene of that movie where the main char does precisely what you describe. I guess that is the danger of useing old classics.
Also, when you say Rhodok Crossbowmen have slow rate of fire, I was talking about Vaegir Archers.
I just thought you misswrote. As I mentioned it was the crossbowmen that should be feared, the archers, not so much.

Eitherway, I am not going to complain that you can not cheese the AI as easily in Bannerlord as you could in Warband.
You should fear a ranged unit if they are able to bombard you from safety; i.e. sieges, on top of cliffs, behind allied formations protecting them.

You should not fear a ranged unit if you are able to directly charge them on an open field like I described.

Yet this is what happens in Bannerlord. Your troops cannot even charge archers across an open field without dying, because they die in just 4 arrows! You cannot "close the distance and become the wolf" because even if you do survive, you will be at only 25% health. The archer will kill you in melee.
Thats just not true. As someone who have been on the receiving end of an untold number of charges I can safely say that my Fians do not gun them all down as if you had been transported to the trenches of WWI.

In practise, they can manage to get a whole lot of charges through, particularly, if you dont take active steps to handle them. But they are just not very dangerous so while they all off running all over the place your own people will quickly dispatch everyone else. They kind of feel like horsearchers in warband, not dangerous, but will make the battle take 3 times as long.

And I have most certainly also personally done alot of harrasing of the opposing sides ranged units. Its risky but hardly suicide.

It should be that armoured troops without shields go even with archers if they can charge them directly; and armoured troops with shields should easily defeat archers if they can charge them directly.

Instead, what happens now is that shock/pike troops get slaughtered by archers before they even reach their lines, and shield troops go roughly even with archers. Which makes archers stupidly overpowered.

Let me ask you a better question: If a melee unit and a ranged unit do roughly the same damage, but the ranged unit can do it from a range while the melee unit can only do it at melee, why would you bother having melee units?

You would not. And we are in no way in disagreement about the fact that archers are the top dogs. What we do not agree on is the underlying problems.

In a defensive fieldbattle with 180 Imp leg against 100+ Bat ranged, 200+ inf and around 120 cav I did not take a single loss to ranged fire before the lines engaged (but then I was overwhelmed). Similarly, I did countless offensive battles where I could walk all way up to their line, in shieldwall, without taking any losses.

And ofcourse, no, its not my personal observation, at least, that cavalry charges just disintegrate in the first volley or anything like that. So, I cannot agree with the analysis that armor must be the main culprite.

It isn't opinion. Logical thinking:
having 30 skills which govern all single aspects of a character
having 10 skills which govern a third of the aspects of a character

Which is better, 30 or 10? 30, objectively it's giving more control and a wider array of options/choices. Objectively better.

How it's implemented is the subjective part, and that's the sin with TES, poor design choices that made for a bad user experience, which's subjective on itself, but ultimately the result's that all of us hated how leveling worked in Oblivion, which can be fine-tuned through better design choices.

I think that's the best explanation I can give, otherwise I'd have to direct both of you to many books for you to study like crazy ppl to even begin to understand the fundamentals which differentiate objective quality and subjective tastes in art. The same rules apply to games, but they are much easier to see than, say, a painting.

more than half of skyrim was cut to force a release at "11/11/11" because "mArKeTiNg". Todd Howard for you. Don't have to proclaim that at this point I despise Bethesda and I boycott everything they put out, right? RIGHT? :lol:
All the developers of my most beloved RPG video-games are basically in a boycott list now, than again doesn't change anything because game developers are talent companies, and the talent responsible for the games I loved are long gone from those I boycott, changes nothing since all they put out is mediocre at best. In the case of M&B it isn't an RPG but rather a sandbox, I wish they'd flush it out better, but if enough's done so that mods can take over and make exceptional overhauls, I'm fine with it, not with their decisions to cut stuff, but I'm fine for at least having a platform in which to have good gaming experiences. Doesn't change the fact that I find most of their Design choices dubious at best.
« Video killed the radio star » (old song) and marketing clearly killed the video games.

I played skyrim vanilla once (with the uggly UI) and I deserve a medal for that lol
Skyrim is excellent (with 256 mods for me, that’s what i used to FIX all **** and IMPROVE the whole). Thank you modders, shame on developpers heh.

« Video killed the radio star » (old song) and marketing clearly killed the video games.

I played skyrim vanilla once (with the uggly UI) and I deserve a medal for that lol
Skyrim is excellent (with 256 mods for me, that’s what i used to FIX all **** and IMPROVE the whole). Thank you modders, shame on developpers heh.
lol
My last Skyrim build (I believe it was from 2020 during the pandemic) had 900 mods - doing that level of Load Order is almost a full time job though. Base engine can't go past 300 without starting to gag on itself, but there are others like me who go beyond normal, one of the guys who I used to exchange skyrim info and discussions managed a 1200 mods LO last time I heard, maybe by now he surpassed that? Idk, been a while.

But we should stick to discussing BL here, and my first comeback point is: RNG must be removed or at bare minimum non-RNG alternatives must be presented as choices for the player.

@Sweynforkbeard I also just tested 60 T5 Legionaries, who are the best shield infantry and should hard counter ranged infantry, against 60 T5 Fians. The Fians inflicted almost equal casualties to the Legionaries - 45 versus 41!

Then I tried Sturgian Heavy Axemen against Vlandian Sharpshooters. The Sharpshooters actually bloody won with 8 men left!!

Imperial Sergeant Crossbowmen versus Battanian Oathsworn? The Sergeant Crossbowmen won with 32 men left!!!

Arrows need to do less damage to armour. It is not realistic, and it is not good for balanced or entertaining gameplay, in its current state.
didnt see this one and I was in a hurry to get out of the door when I made the last post. The battle that I mentioned 180 legionaries vs. a Battanian army.

I ran it a few times with a few changes.

In the basis battle the legionaries lost with an about even K/D ratio.

I ran the battle replacing the legionaries with Vlandian sharpshooters. The Sharpshooters lost with a very marginally better K/D ratio (unlikely to be significant). The difference, ofcourse, being that they got alot of kills in before melee ensued and then they got hammed hard.

So, in this particular situation the legionaries had a largely similar performance to a similar level ranged unit.

I then ran the same battle a couple of times with Fian Champs. The champs won the battle with about 25-30% losses (but with a good healer that just translate into about 10-20 deaths). This was not a surprise.

Finally, I decided to test, what if I add the 275 medicine bonus and a couple of other perk bonuses on top for the legionaries. They did much better, but still lost.

Your intepretation of this would probably be; Need more armor!

Mine would be to question "how many metric tons of armor would be needed for, and lets put aside that we are comparing a tier 5 unit to a tier 6 unit, a legionary to match the performance of the Fian Champs?"

Or perhaps the right question should be "how many metric tons of armor would be need to ensure that a Fian party would not win this encounter?"

How would all of these metric tons of armor, that would likely be needed to achieve one of these goal, affect the balance of everything else? What about the balance between higher tier and lower tier units? As is, it is already possible, as mentioned elsewhere, to reliably defeat similar sized normal composition enemy parties with 0 or minimal losses.

There are balance issue, absolutely. But, the solution is not likely going to be as simple as slapping more armor on.

Last edited:
You would not. And we are in no way in disagreement about the fact that archers are the top dogs. What we do not agree on is the underlying problems.

In a defensive fieldbattle with 180 Imp leg against 100+ Bat ranged, 200+ inf and around 120 cav I did not take a single loss to ranged fire before the lines engaged (but then I was overwhelmed). Similarly, I did countless offensive battles where I could walk all way up to their line, in shieldwall, without taking any losses.
I have already said some things that address this but I'll clarify:

Sure you can walk up to the enemy line without taking (many) losses if you have a shield and are in the painfully slow shield wall formation, sure. But the problem lies when shield infantry have to engage in melee combat, which means they are no longer protected by their shield and a group of archers can simply kill them in 4 shots while they are fighting someone else.

This makes the most overpowered strategy either "all Khan's Guard", or "90% archers with 10% distraction trash infantry to drop the enemy shields".

Additionally, not every troop has a shield!!!! Shock troops and pike troops lack a shield, and the unrealistically high arrow damage to armour means that archers make them totally useless on the battlefield by killing them in 4 hits before they can even reach melee range.

Also, Legionaries are the best shield infantry in the game. You get worse results with other shield infantry. And especially with other shieldless infantry, who get slaughtered at a 2:1 ratio.
In the basis battle the legionaries lost with an about even K/D ratio.

I ran the battle replacing the legionaries with Vlandian sharpshooters. The Sharpshooters lost with a very marginally better K/D ratio (unlikely to be significant). The difference, ofcourse, being that they got alot of kills in before melee ensued and then they got hammed hard.

So, in this particular situation the legionaries had a largely similar performance to a similar level ranged unit.
Comes back to what I said about Legionaries being the best shield infantry; while after melee damage to armor changes in 1.8, Sharpshooters are no longer as good as they used to be. Imperial Sergeant Crossbowmen, for example, are a stronger unit. They come very close to winning against Imperial Legionaries by a matter of a few casualties, despite the fact that shield infantry are ****supposed to be their counter.***
Your intepretation of this would probably be; Need more armor!

Mine would be to question "how many metric tons of armor would be needed for, and lets put aside that we are comparing a tier 5 unit to a tier 6 unit, a legionary to match the performance of the Fian Champs?"

Or perhaps the right question should be "how many metric tons of armor would be need to ensure that a Fian party would not win this encounter?"

How would all of these metric tons of armor, that would likely be needed to achieve one of these goal, affect the balance of everything else? What about the balance between higher tier and lower tier units? As is, it is already possible, as mentioned elsewhere, to reliably defeat similar sized normal composition enemy parties with 0 or minimal losses.

There are balance issue, absolutely. But, the solution is not likely going to be as simple as slapping more armor on.
You just misrepresented my argument massively.

First up, I am not saying we need "more armor", I am saying the existing armor needs to reduce more damage from arrows.

Secondly, nowhere did I say that tier 5 units should perform the same as T6 units. What I said earlier, specifically, was that T5 Fians (not Fian Champs) perform equally to T5 Legionaries. Despite the fact that Legionaries should counter them.

We have proof that increasing the damage resistance of arrows will make archers balanced: Because it's already been done in Warband. Warband formation AI was kind of dumb and you couldn't really pull off elaborate formations without the use of mods. And yet, archers were not overpowered. Why? Because armor had a higher, more realistic resistance against the damage of arrows.

What we know now is that shieldless infantry will usually get shot to death before they can run across a field and engage a group of archers in melee. Because they die in 4-5 chest arrows and 1 head arrow.

So if we increase the amount of hits it takes to kill them to 7-8 chest arrows and 2 head arrows, which is almost doubling their protection, then they should arrive in melee range with nearly twice the amount of HP that they do now. Which means they have a much better chance of winning the melee fight.

Very obvious mathematics and only requires an easy change of a single number for Taleworlds. It's the clear solution.

Last edited:
Also, Legionaries are the best shield infantry in the game. You get worse results with other shield infantry. And especially with other shieldless infantry, who get slaughtered at a 2:1 ratio.
This is a different kind of problem. Hell I would even go as fare as to say that the game would be more boring if every unit in a class performed equally. Its not a competitive game, its perfectly fine that there is a best unit in a class. In warband all units were certainly not created equal either (Make a poll and see how many even remember the name of the Vaegir heavy cavalry unit). For min-maxes (me included) we can all feel really smart about choosing the best. The wacky weird people can do things like going with a Nord army or some such thing.
Comes back to what I said about Legionaries being the best shield infantry; while after melee damage to armor changes in 1.8, Sharpshooters are no longer as good as they used to be. Imperial Sergeant Crossbowmen, for example, are a stronger unit. They come very close to winning against Imperial Legionaries by a matter of a few casualties, despite the fact that shield infantry are ****supposed to be their counter.***
And imperial sergeant crossbowmen are hardly going to stand a chance against an even number of legionaries in an actual real battle. If for no other reason then simply how many perk bonuses are available to infantry.
You just misrepresented my argument massively.

First up, I am not saying we need "more armor", I am saying the existing armor needs to reduce more damage from arrows.

Secondly, nowhere did I say that tier 5 units should perform the same as T6 units. What I said earlier, specifically, was that T5 Fians (not Fian Champs) perform equally to T5 Legionaries. Despite the fact that Legionaries should counter them.
Honestly, who cares about T5 Fians, they will only stay that way for a very short period of time until they are upgraded to T6. Trust me, you are wasting sleepless nights for nothing if you are worried about the balance of them.
We have proof that increasing the damage resistance of arrows will make archers balanced: Because it's already been done in Warband. Warband formation AI was kind of dumb and you couldn't really pull off elaborate formations without the use of mods. And yet, archers were not overpowered. Why? Because armor had a higher, more realistic resistance against the damage of arrows.
Ranged units were by fare the most powerful tool in Warband! The difference was that you had micro/exploit the AI to use them effectively. Damage was not their problem. Their issue was that elites would always aim for headshots and were unable to lead.

Hence, also why you could use "dances with wolves" so effectively.

What we know now is that shieldless infantry will usually get shot to death before they can run across a field and engage a group of archers in melee. Because they die in 4-5 chest arrows and 1 head arrow.

So if we increase the amount of hits it takes to kill them to 7-8 chest arrows and 2 head arrows, which is almost doubling their protection, then they should arrive in melee range with nearly twice the amount of HP that they do now. Which means they have a much better chance of winning the melee fight.

Very obvious mathematics and only requires an easy change of a single number for Taleworlds. It's the clear solution.

There was a reason why shields is something that basically every single culture in the world managed to invent.

I will make you a deal. Teach cavalry how to hit stuff and teach infantry how to handle multiple opponents and then I will wholehardedly support any reduction in missile damage.

Last edited:
But we should stick to discussing BL here, and my first comeback point is: RNG must be removed or at bare minimum non-RNG alternatives must be presented as choices for the player.
I suppose sometimes rng that's under the hood is ok for example simulated battles but most of the time in this game it sux. I use to be ok with rng in games but after the way checks were handled in FNV vs F4 it really opened my eyes. You knew right away in NV if you could do a skill check or not.
This game just loves to fail me constantly at speech checks. There's nothing worse than failing a 90% chance. :xf-mad: It's just a time waster. The vast majority of gamers are going to save scum to get the result they want anyway. There's no reason the game can't just let me know if I'm going to pass a speech check or not with a potential wife. That way I keep from wasting my time.

This is a different kind of problem. Hell I would even go as fare as to say that the game would be more boring if every unit in a class performed equally. Its not a competitive game, its perfectly fine that there is a best unit in a class. In warband all units were certainly not created equal either. For min-maxes (me included) we can all feel really smart about choosing the best. The wacky weird people can do things like going with a Nord army or some such thing.
I feel like you are missing the point here - the point is that since Legionaries are the strongest shield unit, they don't represent how badly the average infantry unit does against archers because those are all much weaker.
Ranged units were by fare the most powerful tool in Warband!
No, Swadian Knights were. And Khergit Heavy Lancers, Vaegir Knights, Sarranid Mamlukes and Nord Huscarls were all a close second. All but the strongest archers/crossbowmen would barely scratch them, they had great mobility (excepting Huscarls), and they had great damage.
There was a reason why shields is something that basically every single culture in the world managed to invent.
I could use the exact same argument: there is a reason why two-handed pikes and two-handed axes were used in battle by even elite troops, and that's because armour could protect you well enough from arrows to make it feasible.
I will make you a deal. Teach cavalry how to hit stuff and teach infantry how to handle multiple opponents and then I will wholehardedly support any reduction in missile damage.
And if I could change those things, I would. We're on the same page there. But even if we did both of those things, melee troops would still suck because they can simply be machine gunned down by archers. So regardless of what else happens, armour needs to
have more sensible protection against bolts and arrows.

Downed by an arrow where though? Because in 866, "fully armoured" typically meant an open-faced helmet.

What's more, according to one of the only sources I can find that goes into detail: https://books.google.com.au/books?redir_esc=y&id=gkO9AAAAIAAJ&q=ranulf#v=snippet&q=ranulf&f=false

It says Ranulf FLED, and that he LATER died from his wound. Therefore, he was clearly not struck down by an arrow on the spot like in Bannerlord.

Now against that one vague example, I have multiple more specific historical examples to provide.

"Anna Comnena wrote that during the Battle of Duazzo (1108 AD), the Byzantines resorted to shooting the Frankish horses because their arrows were ineffective against Frankish mail."
"Joinville describes his servants donning him in his jousting hauberk as he lay ill on the deck of a ship to protect him from incoming Saracen arrows.68 Joinville later recounts an incident involving Walter of Châtillon in which Saracen missiles were ineffective:

...and whilst the Turks were fleeing before him, they (who shoot as well backwards as forwards) would cover him with darts. When he had driven them out of the village, he would pick out the darts that were sticking all over him; and put on his coat-of-arms again... Then, turning round, and seeing that the Turks had come in at the other end of the street, he would charge them again, sword in hand, and drive them out. And this he did about three times in the manner I have described.69"

"During the 3rd Crusade, Bahā'al-Dīn, Saladin's biographer, wrote that the Norman crusaders were:

...drawn up in front of the cavalry, stood firm as a wall, and every foot-soldier wore a vest of thick felt and a coat of mail so dense and strong that our arrows made no impression on them... I saw some with from one to ten arrows sticking in them, and still advancing at their ordinary pace without leaving the ranks."

All of this is also borne out by modern testing. When wearing an aketon underneath mail, modern testing shows that arrows will penetrate roughly an inch, or less, into the body behind. This is not enough to outright kill someone, as no vital organs on the body are an inch from the surface of the skin.

These are always the sources listed for impenetrable (mail) armor, but they are far from convincing. Penetration would depend on the energy (per sqare mm) applied and the materials involved, effects can greatly vary due to the power of the projectile weapon and the distances. We don't know at what distances the arrows were shot for example in the cited sources. BTW Anna Komnena also wrote that Frankish knights could ride through city walls if I remember correctly, what is exaggeration and what is real is often difficult to decide in medieval sources.

I don't say that mail was always easily penetrated, it was quite protective, although arrows and bolts surely acted as the biggest threats because of the physics involved. The source for Ranulf is not comparable to the sources you cited because it does not tell explicitly about penetration of his armor or behavior of armor at all. Usually however the sources tell wether an unprotected part of the body is hit, for example Tostig at Stamford Bridge (hit in the face) or Harald Hardrada at the same battle (hit in the throat, maybe he had no mail aventail, or was it penetrated?). That Ranulf fled and died for me speaks more against having been hit in the face/head, maybe his torso was penetrated (few wounds are immediatelly deadly) and he died from bleeding (the usual reason for death from wounds) or inflammation.

Modern tests use modern materials and have to been used with care. Williams found that mail made of mild steel backed by a padded garment was holed with 100 Joules, while at 120 Joules it was deeply penetrated. A piece of carbonized hardened mail from the 15th tested in comparison, while being less effective against an axe or lance, was similarly effective against the arrows as the modern specimen (The Knight and the Blast Furnace, pg. 942f.). Hardened mail however would be very rare before the 14th c. AD, it mostly been made from iron and more easily penetrated. In Todd's tests of a late 14th c. AD plate torso armor replica, one arrow which "missed" penetrated the mail and dublet with ease, but it was a strong 160 lbs bow, going surely over 150 Joules.

A wound one inch deep (that's 2,54 cm) is a deadly threat at some places of the torso/neck, and surely a deadly threat generally in a world without antibiotics. There is one source from the 14th c. AD (?, not sure, I saw it recently cited in a video from scolagladiatoria) about a "funny" event involving a proud manufacturer of aketons, being so convinced of his design that he stabbed himself in the chest with a dagger to test it, receiving a wound of allegedly "half an inch" and dying "immediately". How they measured the depth of the wound and what "immediately" means is not clear to me, but it surely shows that minor wounds can be dangerous. It is to be remembered that a stab with a dagger has a lot less energy than normal arrows or bolts and also a lot less as if thrown (there is one explicit source of the 14th c. AD that a thrown javelin penetrated plate, mail and gambeson and killed the wearer).

To get to 100 to 120 Joules you need a strong bow or a medium crossbow, but such weapons would have been in use in the medieval period, and would have posed a danger to mailed people from shorter distances. That big shields were used by mailed people shows that they knew about being endangered by contemporary weapons depite being armored. When Henry I (German king in the 10th c. AD) advised his heavy cavalry for fighting the Magyars who were famous horsearchers and bowmen, he did not say "attack without concerns, you have mail armor" but "take the arrows with your raised shield and then attack before they can shoot again".

I could use the exact same argument: there is a reason why two-handed pikes and two-handed axes were used in battle by even elite troops, and that's because armour could protect you well enough from arrows to make it feasible.

But only seldomly before the 14th c. AD when plate formed a bigger part of the armor and foot combat for men-at-arms became more common. Armored people usually where on horse and used lances and shields earlier.

BTW did you try to set damage of ranged weapons to "Cut"? It's a quite easy change because there are not that much bows and crossbows in the game. You can also change the damage of all arrows and bolts to "Cut" or let some at "Pierce", like bodkins.

I let T4 and T5 crossbows at "Pierce" but all crossbows in my game have about 20 speed rating instead of the vanilla 60, to make them slower.

Last edited:
I feel like you are missing the point here - the point is that since Legionaries are the strongest shield unit, they don't represent how badly the average infantry unit does against archers because those are all much weaker.
I never used Vaegir heavy cavalry either. I can also only recall one kind of infantry in Warband. Its not necessarily a major issue.
All but the strongest archers/crossbowmen would barely scratch them.
Did you ever use anything other than the strongest...
Sorry, I cant care about twohanded something something. You are on your own there.

have more sensible protection against bolts and arrows.
Shields!

I never used Vaegir heavy cavalry either. I can also only recall one kind of infantry in Warband. Its not necessarily a major issue.

Did you ever use anything other than the strongest...

Sorry, I cant care about twohanded something something. You are on your own there.
The whole point of game balance is to make it so that the game content is all useful for the player! If you don't care about game content getting used, why are you even discussing balance?

Your position is genuinely that we shouldn't make armor more effective against arrows because you "don't care" if all pike infantry and shock infantry continue to remain ****? Why should anyone listen to that?
These are always the sources listed for impenetrable (mail) armor, but they are far from convincing.
I am inclined to believe the well-sourced article. And the article itself doesn't come to the conclusion that mail was impenetrable - with the possible exception of high quality double mail. What the article says is that good quality mail over padding provided very good protection from arrows.
I don't say that mail was always easily penetrated, it was quite protective, although arrows and bolts surely acted as the biggest threats because of the physics involved.
The physics involved is also explained by the article. Arrows have great difficulty with a combination of felt and mail, because a narrow-tipped arrow like a bodkin can slide between the links but cannot cut its way through the felt, while a broad-headed arrow can cut its way through the felt but cannot slide between the mail links.
The source for Ranulf is not comparable to the sources you cited because it does not tell explicitly about penetration of his armor or behavior of armor at all. Usually however the sources tell wether an unprotected part of the body is hit, for example Tostig at Stamford Bridge (hit in the face) or Harald Hardrada at the same battle (hit in the throat, maybe he had no mail aventail, or was it penetrated?). That Ranulf fled and died for me speaks more against having been hit in the face/head, maybe his torso was penetrated (few wounds are immediatelly deadly) and he died from bleeding (the usual reason for death from wounds) or inflammation.
Well we don't know and you have to guess, and we don't even know if he was hit by multiple other arrows previously, so it isn't a fantastic example for your point. What Ranulf fleeing and dying does tell us with certainty, however, is that his wound was not instantly fatal, unlike the Bannerlord arrows that make you drop dead instantly after 4 hits.
Hardened mail however would be very rare before the 14th c. AD, it mostly been made from iron and more easily penetrated.
Lower quality metal for mail, but also lower quality metal available to use for arrows.
In Todd's tests of a late 14th c. AD plate torso armor replica, one arrow which "missed" penetrated the mail and dublet with ease, but it was a strong 160 lbs bow, going surely over 150 Joules.
And no bow that powerful would be available in Bannerlord's time period, without a question. Even Fian Champion bows are probably only in the 100lbs range, and they're rare and head and shoulders above 90% of bows in the game which are all short bows.
A wound one inch deep (that's 2,54 cm) is a deadly threat at some places of the torso/neck, and surely a deadly threat generally in a world without antibiotics. There is one source from the 14th c. AD (?, not sure, I saw it recently cited in a video from scolagladiatoria) about a "funny" event involving a proud manufacturer of aketons, being so convinced of his design that he stabbed himself in the chest with a dagger to test it, receiving a wound of allegedly "half an inch" and dying "immediately". How they measured the depth of the wound and what "immediately" means is not clear to me, but it surely shows that minor wounds can be dangerous.
Be good to see that video for, in the words of Easton, "context".
To get to 100 to 120 Joules you need a strong bow or a medium crossbow, but such weapons would have been in use in the medieval period, and would have posed a danger to mailed people from shorter distances.
In Bannerlord's time period, powerful crossbows were uncommon, they were all wooden-prod rather than steel-prod. And this is reflected in the game, Vlandian Sharpshooters use wooden crossbows. Crossbows were actually almost always weaker than longbows, contrary to popular belief.
That big shields were used by mailed people shows that they knew about being endangered by contemporary weapons depite being armored. When Henry I (German king in the 10th c. AD) advised his heavy cavalry for fighting the Magyars who were famous horsearchers and bowmen, he did not say "attack without concerns, you have mail armor" but "take the arrows with your raised shield and then attack before they can shoot again".
Obviously you want the most protection you can get, this does not mean that mail did not afford good protection in itself though.

Yes, you would risk injury in mail if shot by an arrow (I am not asking for impenetrable mail), and so would prefer to have your shield hit instead of your mail if possible.

But the injury you would take in mail if shot by an arrow would usually not be so serious as to kill you in a handful of hits. As the multiple historical sources have already stated, it was not an uncommon occurrence to be hit by 10+ arrows and not even be injured.

With this and everything else in mind, I think there is plenty of evidence and justification to ask for arrows to take 7-8 hits to kill a mailed person instead of 4-5.
But only seldomly before the 14th c. AD when plate formed a bigger part of the armor and foot combat for men-at-arms became more common. Armored people usually where on horse and used lances and shields earlier.
During the Middle Byzantine era, the Byzantines commonly used two-handed pikes - the Kontarion of around 4-5 metre length, and Menavlion - and pike tactics. There was actually a distinction between shieldbearers - "skoutatos" - and pikemen - "kontophoros".

The Varangian Guard and many other Vikings were also well-known for their two-handed axes - the Daneaxe. This later influenced the Anglo-Saxons - their elite troops at the Battle of Hastings used two-handed axes, as depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry - and the Scots and Irish, who developed the Gallowglasses who were well known for two-handed greataxes.

So two-handed axes were certainly not an uncommon sight in Bannerlord's time period.

The Welsh and Scots were known for using pike tactics even before the 1300s.

The whole point of game balance is to make it so that the game content is all useful for the player! If you don't care about game content getting used, why are you even discussing balance?

Your position is genuinely that we shouldn't make armor more effective against arrows because you "don't care" if all pike infantry and shock infantry continue to remain ****? Why should anyone listen to that?
This game has adopted the "hollywood" stile shield use in melee. You are either blocking, which you (the AI) can just as well do without a shield or you are striking, in which case the shield does nothing. In short, the shield has no real function in melee, its sole practical purpose in the game is to stop arrows.

Given that, there are basically only two possible ways in which it makes sense for twohanded and shield use to both coexist/have a purpose in the game.

In the first case twohanders can be stronger, in the chop tree heads off with each swing but vulnerable to missile fire stile or serve effectively as anti-cav.

In the second case they would be the heavily armored tier 5 infantry and shield infantry would be the lesser armored lower tiers.

You object to the first version and I most certainly object to the second version.

This game has adopted the "hollywood" stile shield use in melee. You are either blocking, which you (the AI) can just as well do without a shield or you are striking, in which case the shield does nothing. In short, the shield has no real function in melee, its sole practical purpose in the game is to stop arrows.
Shields make it much easier to block melee attacks in Bannerlord. Melee blocking has a 75% chance for the AI or player to block in the wrong direction; shields have a 0% chance to block in the wrong direction. (Though you do get a bonus for blocking in the correct direction).

Plus, one handed weapons are more manageable, and sometimes faster, in close quarters fighting.
Given that, there are basically only two possible ways in which it makes sense for twohanded and shield use to both coexist/have a purpose in the game.

In the first case twohanders can be stronger, in the chop tree heads off with each swing but vulnerable to missile fire stile or serve effectively as anti-cav.

In the second case they would be the heavily armored tier 5 infantry and shield infantry would be the lesser armored lower tiers.

You object to the first version and I most certainly object to the second version.
Or case 3:

Pikemen go even with archers (in a charge), are effective anti-cav, but weak against horse archers.

Shock troops (greataxe/voulge/pike) go even with archers (in a charge), are effective anti-shields, but weak against melee cavalry.

Shielded troops counter archers, but weak to shock troops.

Archers and crossbowmen are the best counter to horse archers, like in real life, but weak against shielded troops.

Pikes > Cav > Shock > Shield > Archer > Horse Archer > Pikes. Every troop type has a use.

Shields make it much easier to block melee attacks in Bannerlord. Melee blocking has a 75% chance for the AI or player to block in the wrong direction; shields have a 0% chance to block in the wrong direction. (Though you do get a bonus for blocking in the correct direction).

Plus, one handed weapons are more manageable, and sometimes faster, in close quarters fighting.
Thats great. Fians are fine, remove the shield from crossbowmen.

wait, something does not add up??
Or case 3:

Pikemen go even with archers (in a charge), are effective anti-cav, but weak against horse archers.
How? What mechanism would bring about this?
Shock troops (greataxe/voulge/pike) go even with archers (in a charge), are effective anti-shields, but weak against melee cavalry.
How? You basically just said that shield are better in melee. But how often do you actually see shields being broken in melee, melee doesnt last long enough for that to happen. What you are much more likely to find is all sorts of variations of: A is hitting B, who is hitting C, who is defending against D.
Shielded troops counter archers, but weak to shock troops.
Archers and crossbowmen are the best counter to horse archers, like in real life, but weak against shielded troops.
So, in real life, why were archers and crossbowmen used in north western Europe? I recall no battles in the history of my country where horsearchers were a thing. Similarly, ingame, not that many factions have horse archers and certainly not in numbers that justify bringing along an actual counter for them. And again, how?
Pikes > Cav > Shock > Shield > Archer > Horse Archer > Pikes. Every troop type has a use.

Last edited:

Lower quality metal for mail, but also lower quality metal available to use for arrows.

And no bow that powerful would be available in Bannerlord's time period, without a question. Even Fian Champion bows are probably only in the 100lbs range, and they're rare and head and shoulders above 90% of bows in the game which are all short bows.

Be good to see that video for, in the words of Easton, "context".

In Bannerlord's time period, powerful crossbows were uncommon, they were all wooden-prod rather than steel-prod. And this is reflected in the game, Vlandian Sharpshooters use wooden crossbows. Crossbows were actually almost always weaker than longbows, contrary to popular belief.

During the Middle Byzantine era, the Byzantines commonly used two-handed pikes - the Kontarion of around 4-5 metre length, and Menavlion - and pike tactics. There was actually a distinction between shieldbearers - "skoutatos" - and pikemen - "kontophoros".

The Varangian Guard and many other Vikings were also well-known for their two-handed axes - the Daneaxe. This later influenced the Anglo-Saxons - their elite troops at the Battle of Hastings used two-handed axes, as depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry - and the Scots and Irish, who developed the Gallowglasses who were well known for two-handed greataxes.

So two-handed axes were certainly not an uncommon sight in Bannerlord's time period.

The Welsh and Scots were known for using pike tactics even before the 1300s.

It's easier to harden small arrow tips than big parts of metal for armor. We see in several cases of armor from before (and after) the late 14th. c. AD that some hardening was tried but failed. There was surely the possibility of higher protection by just adding more material, f.e. doubling mail or make plates thicker, what they did after firearms became more common, resulting in very heavy armor, too much for foot soldiers and making even heavy cavalry very clumsy, the "cataphract effect".

In Bannerlord's time period there also was no plate armor and armor relatively sparsely used by foot troops. If we see the fantasy amount of heavy armor on so many units, we also have to accept the increase in penetration power by stronger bows and crossbows seen in later periods. We cannot simulate WWII tank battles with Abrams/Leopard II/T 90 front armor but without APFSDS projectiles and according cannons. It was an arms race which bows and crossbows obviously lost, but only in the 15th c. AD when hardened armor became more and more common.

The scolagladiatoria video was about armor testing:

As I said, there were only few cases in which twohanded weapons were used on a broader scale in the 11th and 12th century AD, at the fringes of the European world.

@Taveren: Threads tend to drift off after all is said to the topic. I find it interesting. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom