We need alliances

Users who are viewing this thread

The difference on making a mod and doing an official feature for the game is that you have to:
-Know how it influences all the features of the game where your co workers work in.
-Keep working on it until you're sure it's polished and bug free.
-Keep it updated for every incoming patch.
-Take the time to test it and see how it affects players.
-See if everybody working in the game agrees with how the feature works
A modder is not free of some of these obligations sure, and some of them make high quality mods, but it's completely different updating your own work on your own, making updates when you desire, than making features for an official game where you have to be sure of a different stuff.
Saying "but a modder can do it" it's also forgetting an official dev has to make a lot of decisions previously, has to take a lot of steps and it's not as simple as making a mod

@mexxico Have alliances not been brought up by the team in the past (that you are aware of)? There are blocks of code that deal with alliances that have been in the code since release, so I had assumed they were at least considered previously. Or were they just put in as more of a preemptive "just in case" type situation?

Here are some of the bits I'm referring to:
]
TiYoh.png

4Chhg.png

hZSjG.png

9jMCw.png

MaznS.png

Yes I see these codes too. I am not sure but they seem “just in case”. There is currently no design for alliances (which I know at least)

Thanks @Blood Gryphon I will examine mod you shared.

Yes it is late for deciding adding that big features. Sometimes I think how we can add alliances feature and I realize different problems. Thats why I cannot join discussions for now. I need to think all problems all together. For example : what will be side effects or costs of announcing a new alliance, what will happen if one alliance is ended - suddenly war peace calculation scores will change and this will trigger new wars to start, so there will be more war peace declerations (which is not good for stability of game / bad for gameplay). How will be diplomacy screen ui for allied factions? What will happen when alliance is declared if there are existing wars or tribute payments including factions which declared alliance. There are tons of different problems and we need to find answers to them before start coding. Also if we can not solve these problems in a good way we cannot add this feature thats why I cannot give 100% guarentee for adding alliances feature for now.
I can see these may not all be easy problems to solve.

On the one hand, immediately having wars/peace declared when an alliance breaks up or is formed kind of makes sense. The other factions may be opportunistic in declaring a war on a faction that suddenly lost its ally, or suddenly want to sue for peace because now they’re facing a much bigger combined enemy. Also, renegotiating tribute in these situations also makes sense.

But I can see that this might destabilize the war/peace systems and be bad for gameplay if it all happens too suddenly, especially with multiple alliances to consider.

If it’s too complicated to implement (and balance!) full alliances, what about a version with reduced scope specifically designed with the goal of reducing snowballing? Where the only alliance possible is a defensive pact against a stronger enemy: i.e. a strong faction (Faction Strong) declares war on a weak neighbour (Faction Weak). Faction Weak would then start looking for a third faction to form a defensive pact with (Faction Pact), to help it fight off the attacker. Faction Pact would only agree to enter this pact if:
  • Faction Strong is the aggressor
  • The difference in strength between Faction Strong and Faction Weak is past a certain threshold
  • The difference in strength between Faction Strong and Faction Pact is also past a certain threshold (i.e. this would be a mechanic to get two or more weaker factions to gang up on a faction that is starting to snowball)
  • Faction Pact has an active border with Faction Strong (i.e. they would be worried that they’re next if they don’t do something now)
  • Faction Pact is currently at peace with Faction Weak
  • Faction Pact can be convinced to declare war on Faction Strong per the usual war/peace score voting, but instead considering the combined strength of Faction Weak and Faction Pact instead of the individual faction strength. This would bring all the factors that are normally considered in war/peace declarations into play and so hopefully prevent most of the possible weird unbalanced scenarios.
The only effects of the defensive pact would be:
  • Both factions in the pact declare war against Faction Strong. They would not coordinate against any other faction (allowing the war/peace scores and tribute calculations to behave normally otherwise). If another faction does decide to complicate things by declaring war against a faction in the defensive pact, that faction in the pact would prioritize the war against Faction Strong in war/peace declarations and so likely seek peace with that new faction.
  • Faction Strong can only declare peace if they declare peace with both factions in the defensive pact at the same time (treat them as a single faction in Faction Strong's war/peace calculation), but maybe using the individual factions strengths to calculate tribute scores to avoid problems when the defensive pact ends.
This would essentially simulate an alliance of necessity only, against a larger nearby aggressor, with the two factions in the defensive pact otherwise still distrusting each other.

Consideration could be given to the defensive pact lasting maybe one season or so past the declaration of peace. This would only affect the war/peace calculations of Faction Strong because the defensive pact is only formed against them, and would not take effect if Faction Weak or Faction Pact were the aggressor.

Armies helping each other can be optional, if that creates issues. The main idea is to force a snowballing faction to take on a more powerful combined enemy more often to help balance things out. This is similar to the “top dog” factor in the war/peace declarations, but maybe implementing this as a separate mechanic gives another lever to pull when trying to balance that. I'm thinking the top dog factor might easily be lost in all the other factors that go into the war/peace declarations.

Thoughts?

Understandable. It is much appreciated you threw your experience into the mix, W/P is very comfortable in 1.5.2.

Honestly this mod did it very well. Just going through the change log takes you along the journey and the issues they ran into and changes made, I'm going to summarize what I've basically taken away from them and provide the key change notes for each update of it.

I'll be editing this post as I go through the versions, join me on this journey everyone.

It was first just a mod to activate the Declare War / Propose peace button in the Diplo screen back when it wasn't active and the AI completely controlled W/P. It also allowed configuration on how much it would cost to make war and peace. Over the updates it added configurable cooldowns for declaring war and making peace, a messenger button that lets you pay influence to open a dialog with another kingdom, a config on how long the messenger would take and let player kingdoms control their own P/W decs. It also made it to where you could choose to accept peace or not from other kingdoms.
Version 1.0.0
  • Allows the player to use the Declare War / Propose Peace buttons in the Diplomacy Screen.
  • Added MBOptionsScreen support.
  • Added configurable costs with both scaling and flat influence cost flavors. These are configurable in the Mod Options screen.
  • Added checks to prevent the player from declaring war or proposing peace when they do not have enough influence.
  • Added checks to prevent the player from making peace when there is an active story quest that requires war between the factions.

For 1.0.1 they added in configurable cooldowns for declaring war and making peace
Version 1.0.1
  • Added configurable cooldowns for declaring war and making peace.
  • Updated the description of EnableInfluenceCostsForDiplomacyActions setting.
  • Added debug messaging in case the diplomacy action throws an exception.

For 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 they made some fixes and display improvements
Version 1.0.2
  • Fixing initialization issue with the cooldown manager.
  • Updated messages to display the required duration for war/peace cooldowns.

Version 1.0.3
  • Added influence cost indicator below the diplomacy action button.

For 1.0.4 they added in a messenger button that lets you pay influence to open a dialog with another kingdom. I like this, honestly should be able to do it for anyone, companion or lord.

Version 1.0.4
  • Updated display for influence cost.
  • Added "Send Messenger" button. This allows you to open a dialogue with a kingdom leader. This has a configurable influence cost.

For 1.0.5 it was a compatability/crashes fix
Version 1.0.5
  • Removed a Harmony patch for MakePeaceAction in favor of a CampaignBehavior event listener. Should improve compatibility with other mods.
  • Added MBOptionsScreen as a SubModule for the mod. This should prevent some crashes and issues with the mod menu.

For 1.0.6 it added a config on how long the messenger would take and let player kingdoms control their own P/W decs. It also made it to where you could choose to accept peace from other kingdoms.

Version 1.0.6
  • Added configurable delay on messengers arriving at opposing faction leader.
  • Stop random declaration of war and peace from your kingdom. When another kingdom wants to make peace, you'll get a pop-up box with a decision and some money for war reparations!
  • Reorganized the mod options page.
For 1.0.7 - 1.0.10 it was just fixes and compatability changes
Version 1.0.10
  • Experimental branch moved to stable.
  • Fixed a broken string on the Mod Options page.
Version 1.0.9
  • String localization fixes (thanks reduce5419!).
  • Updated to MCM 2.0.10. This should resolve some crashes but a duplicate "Mod Options" menu may appear.
Version 1.0.8
  • Added preliminary localization support.
  • Updated MBOptionScreen to MCM 2.0.8
  • Fixed bug that allowed sending messengers without enough influence.
  • Attempt to fix bug that could prevent saving while messengers are en route.

Version 1.0.7
  • Bannerlord e1.3.0 compatibility
  • Minor bug fixes

For their 1.1.0 updates they added in a war exhaustion mechanic with configurations and forced the AI to follow the cooldowns for war and peace.
Version 1.1.0
  • Added "war exhaustion" mechanic to the mod. Consider either removing "Configurable War Attrition" or disabling war exhaustion in the mod settings as they are similar mechanics.
  • Now creates save data. Messengers, declare war cooldowns, war exhaustion, and more will now be saved!
  • AI factions now use the same "declare war" cooldowns as the player. No longer make peace with a faction just to have them declare war immediately!
  • Added a cooldown for rejected peace proposals.
  • Various string/localization fixes.

For 1.1.1 - 1.1.2 they made some fixes and additional war configs

Version 1.1.1
  • Added two mod versions - one for e1.2.1 and one for e1.3.
  • Attempt to fix bug where declare war cooldowns could be circumvented by AI factions.
Version 1.1.2
  • Opposing kingdoms now respect both declare war and minimum war duration (propose peace) cooldowns.
  • Added more war exhaustion configurations.

More to go through, but I must feed the family. Be back.
Aye, there are many great mods that could be atleast be looked at. If they are willing to search these forums for "ideas" and constructive conversation involving hypothetical features that the company themselves never planned for, then scrolling through the most downloaded Nexus BL mods can atleast give one a hint of what most people are looking for. Separatism/kingdom deserters, heritage/proper succession, diplomacy/alliances, etc. things that make the mid to late game fun.

As far as criticisms, TW has made a wonderful, addicting game, and I respect and enjoy all that they do. Especially those willing to communicate with us like @mexxico But I also feel like they have no gameplan or functional directive/list, that they are flying blind. At this point, they are still experimenting, fixing any crashes and bugs that they create with each new patch/hotfix. I hope they still aren't going in circles by their 1 year mark - I want to remain optimistic, and I understand sending in bug reports/community gaming, but in all honesty it shouldn't be the consumer's job to fix or help with anything - they do that out of love, and for free. So it's understandable how some who have been around for a long time, due to their love/addiction of this wonderful game, are starting to crack.

Aye, there are many great mods that could be atleast be looked at. If they are willing to search these forums for "ideas" and constructive conversation involving hypothetical features that the company themselves never planned for, then scrolling through the most downloaded Nexus BL mods can atleast give one a hint of what most people are looking for. Separatism/kingdom deserters, heritage/proper succession, diplomacy/alliances, etc. things that make the mid to late game fun.

As far as criticisms, TW has made a wonderful, addicting game, and I respect and enjoy all that they do. Especially those willing to communicate with us like @mexxico But I also feel like they have no gameplan or functional directive/list, that they are flying blind. At this point, they are still experimenting, fixing any crashes and bugs that they create with each new patch/hotfix. I hope they still aren't going in circles by their 1 year mark - I want to remain optimistic, and I understand sending in bug reports/community gaming, but in all honesty it shouldn't be the consumer's job to fix or help with anything - they do that out of love, and for free. So it's understandable how some who have been around for a long time, due to their love/addiction of this wonderful game, are starting to crack.
Yeah that's why it was advertised as early acess so the community can help if you feel entitled to not do anything for a game then that game would quickly die off most games live off player feedback as most play testers are usually teams of 100 people 100 people cant find as much as millions can if you find it somehow weird that the product you were sold requires feedback from its community that is conpletely wrong be there no feedback updates wouldnt really exist as a dev you can think a lot but a lot does not cross you're mind to me that is the most baffling part about you're post

Yeah that's why it was advertised as early acess so the community can help if you feel entitled to not do anything for a game then that game would quickly die off most games live off player feedback as most play testers are usually teams of 100 people 100 people cant find as much as millions can if you find it somehow weird that the product you were sold requires feedback from its community that is conpletely wrong be there no feedback updates wouldnt really exist as a dev you can think a lot but a lot does not cross you're mind to me that is the most baffling part about you're post
Community gaming isn't weird, it was just a thought. Then again, I feel like an old fuddy duddy who remembers a time before Early Access was a thing. Also, please use punctuation (periods, commas, etc.), it is very hard to read this post.

Community gaming isn't weird, it was just a thought. Then again, I feel like an old fuddy duddy who remembers a time before Early Access was a thing. Also, please use punctuation (periods, commas, etc.), it is very hard to read this post.
Eh sorry kinda tired rn. It's not really a concept that is new though which is why i made the response in the first place, in general whe a product is released of any sorts it requires feedback, as feedback is the backbone of the gaming industry. The only games not really effected by community feedback are flash games every real game made by a studio usually takes feedback, by real game i mean in general a game that has more lines of code and a more complex system. Community support and feedback is not something limited to EA titles an EA title is a promise it will be taken into account more often which compared to othe EA releases i have been a part of this is pretty good, a notion that something that can get improvement will ever be good without feedback is flar out wrong a game just with the devs vision can be good but for that game to survive on the market for more then a few years is hard,in general community feedback will always be a thing and there is no probable way to stop it.

Eh sorry kinda tired rn. It's not really a concept that is new though which is why i made the response in the first place, in general whe a product is released of any sorts it requires feedback, as feedback is the backbone of the gaming industry. The only games not really effected by community feedback are flash games every real game made by a studio usually takes feedback, by real game i mean in general a game that has more lines of code and a more complex system. Community support and feedback is not something limited to EA titles an EA title is a promise it will be taken into account more often which compared to othe EA releases i have been a part of this is pretty good, a notion that something that can get improvement will ever be good without feedback is flar out wrong a game just with the devs vision can be good but for that game to survive on the market for more then a few years is hard,in general community feedback will always be a thing and there is no probable way to stop it.
I never had the notion that community feedback is a bad thing, it's a great thing. Anyways, to stay on topic, yes, we need alliances. :razz:

Hmmm so many "interesting" perspectives here....

It seems a number of folks are having trouble staying on topic, perhaps the forum moderators will step in and help us out. Speaking of which....

That is not nice... mexxico is the last person you should ask passive aggressive questions.

All of us sometimes criticise TaleWorlds, but there is a big difference in being snarky and being constructive, as there are boundaries in ways of expressing your critisism we all should obey in order for developers to feel comfortable coming to the forums and interacting, which can only benefit the game and the players.

If they are met with a hostile enviroment, that just hurts every party involved.
@Piconi Keep your slander to yourself and try to stay on topic.

Accusing me of being "not nice" or creating a "hostile environment" for asking how a game company will implement a major feature such as Alliances in what will be a 4-5 month window is the very definition of creating a "hostile environment". I don't know what criteria there is for awarding a moderator badge but you may want to consider turning yours in.

I asked when we will get this feature and pointed out for very obvious reasons why it would seem EA is out of the question. I also asked for a development roadmap and timeline which would presumably answer my first question. A company should expect these questions and should be able to answer them.

Watch the environment you are creating before you start handing out advice.

He is in vacation and will be coming back at October. Just don't post for sake of it.
@scarface52 did you read my post or did you read the first sentence and then post for the sake of it? I won't await your reply, I already know the answer.

Missing the point of the thread (also its 6 months until the beginning of April). Talk about how you think alliances could work to help us think it through.
November, December, January, February, March. It's actually 5 months, but you were close. As long as you are not a project manager at TaleWorlds I won't hold your inability to track to a deadline against you.

The point of the thread was "We need alliances". It's in the title, in case YOU missed it. Therefore, one of the most pertinent line of questions are 1) are alliances already in scope? 2) if yes, then when? 3) if not then when and at what cost? It's difficult to define "need" without this information as all projects are constrained by trade-offs between scope, time, and cost.

It seems you want to have a discussion on "How should alliances be implemented". There is a suggestions forum where you can start that thread and go crazy. Alternatively, if you perceive the point of this thread titled "We need alliances" to be a discussion on how alliances should work then go ahead and have that discussion. I won't stop you, or presume to tell you that you are "missing the point of the thread" and ask you to participate in a different discussion that I would rather have. Live your life (but please don't take a job as a project manager for TaleWorlds).

-------------------------------------------------

So I asked some pretty basic questions about when and how alliances could realistically be implemented and Mexxico, to his credit, (thank you @mexxico) provided some insight. It seems many of you missed his post, and I suggest you go read it here, before you succumb to further hysteria and derail this thread further.

Based upon the additional information provided by Mexxico I can firmly say, no we do not NEED alliances. At least I personally do not. I would much prefer TaleWorlds finish Early Access and not introduce scope creep into the project. I would prefer Alliances are placed on the backburner as a DLC or 6-month patch or 2nd year expansion or whatever makes the most sense in terms of the overall project timeline and content roadmap.
Without access to a project timeline and content roadmap it's hard to say with any informed opinion what is or isn't scope creep, and how alliances do or do not fit into the 5 year-roadmap for the game.

There is a long list of features that are not implemented or not working correctly that I would place on higher priority (i.e. that the game NEEDS) before alliances. This list of features is probably more than enough to keep TaleWorlds busy through the next 6 months of Early Access when the game is supposed to be finished.

Some customers may not mind games the remain in a perpetual state of Early Access even if they have continuous amount of rough edges while remaining under constant development. Those customers are the same that helped usher in the new monetization schemes that game companies abuse today.

I remember when game companies used to have to invest millions of dollars of corporate cash to develop and polish a game, then burn that game on a CD (or other media), then ship that game to stores, then hope enough people would buy their game and LOVE it on DAY 1 so they could recoup their initial investment and then turn a profit.

If there are any trade-offs that involve extending Early Access of an unfinished, unpolished, and often un-fun game vs. finishing the game and realizing it's current potential, I am in favor of finishing the game.

Hmmm so many "interesting" perspectives here....

It seems a number of folks are having trouble staying on topic, perhaps the forum moderators will step in and help us out. Speaking of which....

@Piconi Keep your slander to yourself and try to stay on topic.

Accusing me of being "not nice" or creating a "hostile environment" for asking how a game company will implement a major feature such as Alliances in what will be a 4-5 month window is the very definition of creating a "hostile environment". I don't know what criteria there is for awarding a moderator badge but you may want to consider turning yours in.

I asked when we will get this feature and pointed out for very obvious reasons why it would seem EA is out of the question. I also asked for a development roadmap and timeline which would presumably answer my first question. A company should expect these questions and should be able to answer them.

Watch the environment you are creating before you start handing out advice.

@scarface52 did you read my post or did you read the first sentence and then post for the sake of it? I won't await your reply, I already know the answer.

November, December, January, February, March. It's actually 5 months, but you were close. As long as you are not a project manager at TaleWorlds I won't hold your inability to track to a deadline against you.

The point of the thread was "We need alliances". It's in the title, in case YOU missed it. Therefore, one of the most pertinent line of questions are 1) are alliances already in scope? 2) if yes, then when? 3) if not then when and at what cost? It's difficult to define "need" without this information as all projects are constrained by trade-offs between scope, time, and cost.

It seems you want to have a discussion on "How should alliances be implemented". There is a suggestions forum where you can start that thread and go crazy. Alternatively, if you perceive the point of this thread titled "We need alliances" to be a discussion on how alliances should work then go ahead and have that discussion. I won't stop you, or presume to tell you that you are "missing the point of the thread" and ask you to participate in a different discussion that I would rather have. Live your life (but please don't take a job as a project manager for TaleWorlds).

-------------------------------------------------

So I asked some pretty basic questions about when and how alliances could realistically be implemented and Mexxico, to his credit, (thank you @mexxico) provided some insight. It seems many of you missed his post, and I suggest you go read it here, before you succumb to further hysteria and derail this thread further.

Based upon the additional information provided by Mexxico I can firmly say, no we do not NEED alliances. At least I personally do not. I would much prefer TaleWorlds finish Early Access and not introduce scope creep into the project. I would prefer Alliances are placed on the backburner as a DLC or 6-month patch or 2nd year expansion or whatever makes the most sense in terms of the overall project timeline and content roadmap.
Without access to a project timeline and content roadmap it's hard to say with any informed opinion what is or isn't scope creep, and how alliances do or do not fit into the 5 year-roadmap for the game.

There is a long list of features that are not implemented or not working correctly that I would place on higher priority (i.e. that the game NEEDS) before alliances. This list of features is probably more than enough to keep TaleWorlds busy through the next 6 months of Early Access when the game is supposed to be finished.

Some customers may not mind games the remain in a perpetual state of Early Access even if they have continuous amount of rough edges while remaining under constant development. Those customers are the same that helped usher in the new monetization schemes that game companies abuse today.

I remember when game companies used to have to invest millions of dollars of corporate cash to develop and polish a game, then burn that game on a CD (or other media), then ship that game to stores, then hope enough people would buy their game and LOVE it on DAY 1 so they could recoup their initial investment and then turn a profit.

If there are any trade-offs that involve extending Early Access of an unfinished, unpolished, and often un-fun game vs. finishing the game and realizing it's current potential, I am in favor of finishing the game.
Luckily you actually take a jab at yourself here as you clearly state that this feature would somehow be part of a dlc expansion when clearly was stated would be not you easily state that this would be a far future update this is also completely false as you cannot know when something will be releasing. https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...ing-plans-for-singleplayer-and-engine.422296/

Boom closest thing we have to a roadmap which most are severely limting if you need a look at what is currently being worked on you can also find that bunched up in one thread if you are that interested.

If you taking a jab at @Piconi for trying to derail the thread you are the one that started it if you are indeed that thin skinned to where you cant take that on the other hand if you are looking for a complete game all you need is one look at how the game is advetised and a few videos and you can get a clear opinion instead of acting like armagan killed you're dog mabye next time check what you invest into

Last edited:
Luckily you actually take a jab at yourself here as you clearly state that this feature would somehow be part of a dlc expansion when clearly was stated would be not you easily state that this would be a far future update this is also completely false as you cannot know when something will be releasing.
What? If there is a coherent thought in there I can't find it. Please edit your post and express yourself, in a way that someone would have a reasonable chance of understanding what you are trying to say.

If that link you provided is "the closest thing we have to a roadmap" that is very concerning, as that link is to a list of features the team is working on organized by game mechanic, and not at all development roadmap. It is not organized by workstream, there is no accounting for resources, there is no sequential ordering or listing of dependencies, there are no detailed dates or even milestones, there aren't considerations for different phases (e.g. code, implement, test, release). All of this and much more should be on an internally facing roadmap that the TW team look at on a daily basis and much of this should be on an externally facing roadmap that TW can share with their customers.

What? If there is a coherent thought in there I can't find it. Please edit your post and express yourself, in a way that someone would have a reasonable chance of understanding what you are trying to say.

If that link you provided is "the closest thing we have to a roadmap" that is very concerning, as that link is to a list of features the team is working on organized by game mechanic, and not at all development roadmap. It is not organized by workstream, there is no accounting for resources, there is no sequential ordering or listing of dependencies, there are no detailed dates or even milestones, there aren't considerations for different phases (e.g. code, implement, test, release). All of this and much more should be on an internally facing roadmap that the TW team look at on a daily basis and much of this should be on an externally facing roadmap that TW can share with their customers.
Im sorry i made myself pretty clear while you were attacking people and derailing the thread you simultaneously also said that other people were doing the same in the end i said that next know what you invest into before buying a product.

The closest thing we have to a roadmap a roadmap is a severely confining matter of affairs as you set a deadline a deadline usually meeds to be fullfilled this can damage the final product due to overworking to tey to meet set deadline a deadline is something most roadmaps come with and as i stated its not that hard to find out what is being worked on. If a roadmap is what you want that is the closest to it limiting yourself due to an arbitrary goal that needs to be filled is a stupid idea in general as it will overall cause more damage then good.

It seems you want to have a discussion on "How should alliances be implemented". There is a suggestions forum where you can start that thread and go crazy. Alternatively, if you perceive the point of this thread titled "We need alliances" to be a discussion on how alliances should work then go ahead and have that discussion. I won't stop you, or presume to tell you that you are "missing the point of the thread" and ask you to participate in a different discussion that I would rather have.
You forgot October which is the month that comes before November, as far as I know we are still in September. That's 6 months. Also I guess you missed where we got past the OP subject with a resounding YES and then Mexxico agreed and talked about needing to think about the negatives and positives of actual alliances (people posting to help is not being off topic), he didn't ask about the timeline to do it. I'm not trying to project manage them, but YOU clearly are by asking about scope, timeline, roadmaps and cost. I suggest you practice what you preach.

Live your life (but please don't take a job as a project manager for TaleWorlds).

You haven't been around for long I know but as much as you don't think the process should be like this this is how TW works. It is not the conventional way, but it is a way. You can come here and try to project manage topics into the ground and demand 5 year roadmaps to no avail or you can help ideate the topics being discussed.

So far ideation with Mexxico has produced great results.

Also read his post to you. Please end your rant about a roadmap, they don't have one themselves.
I wish we had all game design 8 years ago (when we start this project) and we follow that design document. Probably we could finish game sooner if that kind of development is followed. If this was the case all these problems would be already solved. We are trying to add features one by one and this is not best way to create a detailed game like Bannerlord because all different features are connected each other and we should think all together not one by one. Adding features one by one is dangerous (can broke existing mechanics). However Warband is also developed that way too and be a great game. But even Warband example I think this is hard way to develop a game.

Let me ask you this, do you have any reasons why alliances should or shouldn't be implemented other than scope, timeline, cost. So like gameplay related? Don't worry we can talk about it here, no need for a new thread :wink:

You haven't been around for long I know but as much as you don't think the process should be like this this is how TW works. It is not the conventional way, but it is a way. You can come here and try to project manage topics into the ground and demand 5 year roadmaps to no avail or you can help ideate the topics being discussed.
Even employees agree that a road map and more communication would be ideal. It may be "a way" but it's not an efficient way.

You forgot October which is the month that comes before November, as far as I know we are still in September. That's 6 months. Also I guess you missed where we got past the OP subject with a resounding YES and then Mexxico agreed and talked about needing to think about the negatives and positives of actual alliances (people posting to help is not being off topic), he didn't ask about the timeline to do it. I'm not trying to project manage them, but YOU clearly are by asking about scope, timeline, roadmaps and cost. I suggest you practice what you preach.
September is about over and the conversation is taking place in October, which still puts us at 5 months. Re-read the post (there is a link above).

Let me ask you this, do you have any reasons why alliances should or shouldn't be implemented other than scope, timeline, cost. So like gameplay related? Don't worry we can talk about it here, no need for a new thread :wink:
Yes.

Even employees agree that a road map and more communication would be ideal. It may be "a way" but it's not an efficient way.
I don't disagree at all, trust me I live by project plans. But we can't change that, the best we can hope for is an idea for the game gets taken and of course bug report fixes. They do a great job of taking our feedback and implementing it if it's feasible. Check out the UI suggestions section.

September is about over and the conversation is taking place in October, which still puts us at 5 months. Re-read the post (there is a link above).

Yes.
Conversations take months? No, it will likely be a few conversations (could end in one) where they tease out the plausibility of it and give it the go ahead or not. Then it's off to the races. Also discussing the design of a feature is working on it, don't be saying meetings aren't billable hours. We can help with that conversation or not. Lets be real the forums are just an idea farm, its just a bunch of text.

Last edited:
I don't disagree at all, trust me I live by project plans. But we can't change that, the best we can hope for is an idea for the game gets taken and of course bug report fixes. They do a great job of taking our feedback and implementing it if it's feasible. Check out the UI suggestions section.
All we can do is be optimistic and hope for the best. Unfortunately, I can be quite cynical sometimes, so that I don't raise my hopes for nothing. At this point, I'm glad for an addicting base that TW has built. I wouldn't mind if the mod tools came out, and the rest was finished by the community. I just think that'd be quite the blow to the ego of a developer who wanted more.

Back
Top Bottom