SP Native [WB] Wülf (dieded)

Users who are viewing this thread

If anyone's reading this (which I doubt you would be as this thread is buried pretty well) and if you even care, yeah, the mod's dead. I'll probably release most of the work on it that I've done that others might want to use - but that's not a guarantee.

Hullo forum. Once again, I've been thinkin' away and I'm churning out another half-arsed but still amusing mod. This one's either going to end up being my best or my worst, it all depends on you, and how lazy I am at any given time.

First of all, I want seasons in M&B. Spring, Summer, you get the idea. If it's December, battles will be snowy. In Autumn the ground will be strewn with leaves, and the leaves on the trees will be red and orange, with a few outright dead ones thrown in. Summer will be relatively neutral colours, while Spring will be far more vibrant greens. You get the idea.
My next masterful plan was to get proper day/night lengths, which I'm not quite sure I can do, but I'll be damned if I don't try. Equinoxes, solstices, it'll all be there. Hopefully. Probably not. Oh well.
Third on my list is weather. You'll see rain and snow more often, corresponding with the time of year. (Very rare rain in summer, lots of snow in winter, etc)
After that, I want to improve atmosphere. Make the game more interactive, meaning more quests that might actually affect the world around you, all that jizz jazz.
I want this place to be spectacular again, like how it was playing Native for the first time. I'm gonna leave the troop trees pretty well alone, but shift around equipment (with help from OSP packs etc) to make the soldiers look more unique and more characterized, with a bit less of the "carbon-copy"-ness of Native. Or something.

-Periodic Elements-
An idea that struck me was to incorporate real Medieval Europe into it more by having different time periods, namely Early Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages, the prior being like current Native and the latter being more like the troops in HYW, with a more defined hierarchy between unarmored, useless footmen and nearly unbeatable knights on horseback. Mayhaps I'll even get a bit into the Renaissance by throwing in some gunpowder ****.
"But Ruthven", you ask, "that's around 400 years of changes historically! In M&B it only takes around a year or two to singlehandedly capture every location on the map! How are you going to compensate for this?"
Well, I don't know. A thought that crossed my mind was to change the party speeds and the time it takes for a day to pass, and try to represent an accurate scope of how long it would take to travel from one end of Europe to the other on horseback. You won't notice any difference as you travel, except that you'll go a tad slower and that the months will literally fly by. Still, it won't be enough to account for that much time, so I'll probably just zap you forward in time with my special module system powers whenever I'm bored enough.

And of course, I want to beautify M&B in general (I'll say more on this in the next spoiler) by including various game enhancements. This mod probably won't be for you if you have a less than suitable machine to play it on.
To make the game look less bland, I'm including a few graphical enhancements. Making the game look like real life isn't something I can do, but I'll be damned if surreal life doesn't look tenfold as awesome.

I'm including all of the things listed below: (And have permission on just about all of them.)
-Polished Landscapes Test version by gutekfiutek as well as Darker Corners minimod, also by gutek
-Some textures from the Old Map Sheets mod (I can't change map textures mid-game, so I'm using these so it doesn't look weird when you're on some snow in the overland map and it cuts to a grassy field scene)
-Aquil's face textures
-Adorno's Ambient Sounds mod
-Cries of War Soundpack
-James' flying missile replacement models
Don't ask where I got the name, I'm just eccentric is all.
Also, some **** in this mod will be a little sketchy, and knowing this community, I can tell that some of you will go out of your way to break my little masterpieces, then ***** and complain about it to me. Well guess what, if you do any of that I'm just gonna divide by zero and crash your M&B. Just hope you have manual saving enabled, *****es.
mb3.png

mb2k.png

mb1m.png

^Note that these only look sexy because of Polished Landscapes, not anything I did. The screens following don't have PL installed, so... Yeah.

mb21.jpg

Note that this scene is only about half done, I still have to add all the beautifulness stuff to give the streets some character, do the AI mesh and add all the necessary barriers/entry points

Progress report:

-All graphical enhancements that were listed in the previous post are added
-Ship battles are fully functional
-Some items added
-Populations implemented, but don't do anything as of yet
-Seasons now affect the weather
-Weather is now more frequent and is affected by the time of year (rain/snow not currently working in Warband, so this might not be in the beta release.)
-Semi constant fog is also implemented, which looks beautiful with PL
-In open-field battle scenes there's wildlife running around (only deer at the moment (credits to the Hunting Mod) but I plan to have rabbits and birds as well.)

Still to do:
-Add and balance items and distribute among troops
-Little misc. codes etc (too many to be specific or to be sure they'll make it in)
-Multiplayer balancing/updates

bgfan said:
What are the chances of a release w/o all those graphical inhancements for us people too poor for a new computer?
Nigh on no-****ing-chance, sadly. I'm changing some **** from Polished Landscapes etc to suit the different seasons better (mostly for autumn I need more dying foliage etc) so I'd then have to remake the mod again, jsut about, only for normal M&B's trees/plants, which is something I have neither the time nor the patience to do.

You could try it out along with killkhergit's lod mod, it might work.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,85591.0.html

Why Ruthven, be a bit more optimistic, everybody loves native polishing/expanding :grin:
Though the name, is a bit decieving, I was expecting a scandinavian wolf-rider mod. You might want to change it to "The Übermod, how Native should have been" r something
You have my attention, support and contribution if you need it (limited to artwork & design, and currently unavailable due to super hard frickin exams)

Best of luck, if it doesn't work out you still wrote a captivating and hilarious introduction for this mod

Verbeek said:
Best of luck, if it doesn't work out you still wrote a captivating and hilarious introduction for this mod
Glad somebody appreciates it.  :razz:

But naw, the name stays, maybe I'll even make a reason for it sooner or later.

If you make Nords into some girly asswipes I will do my best to divide this mod by zero  :twisted:

Other than that have a token of luck *offers a token of luck*

But on a more serious mod make this mod happen it sounds awesome :grin:

Good luck. Looking forward to it.

Suggestion: Add populations to the game. Having a female and male population thing aswell would be great. Looking at how many people you have in your province, and then decide to take a few hundred men out would be awesome. This might take a month's time to get people to come. So you can walk around and do tournaments while you wait, and when the time is over, you can march them off to war in their militia outfits.

Well, this one is looking nice.

First of all, I want seasons in M&B. Spring, Summer, you get the idea. If it's December, battles will be snowy. In Autumn the ground will be strewn with leaves

Quite easy for battle scenes, but the rest will be the problem. Villages, castles, towns... Thats more than 200 different scenes. I doubt you will want to make 4 seasons variants for each of it and if stays like it is now, it will look a little strange. Imagine you just had a battle in the middle of the winter. You fought on a cold, snowy ground. Then you go to the closest village for some food and you see a green trees and grass...

My next masterful plan was to get proper day/night lengths

Hardcoded I guess. :wink:

An idea that struck me was to incorporate real Medieval Europe into it more by having different time periods, namely Early Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages, the prior being like current Native and the latter being more like the troops in HYW, with a more defined hierarchy between unarmored, useless footmen and nearly unbeatable knights on horseback. Mayhaps I'll even get a bit into the Renaissance by throwing in some gunpowder ****.

We were talking about something simillar about a month ago on polish forums. Mainly it was discussion on how to make Calradia "jump" into next era and how to make troops use newly "invented" weapons and armors. One of modders wanted to make different troop trees, parties for each time period and make a script that will change the basic ones to ones that fit current time period. I suggested something else and much more simple - changing only the equipement of the troops. I know that troops inventories reset when save game is loaded, but you can easily deal with that using the same trick that fisheye used for his custom troops, so thats not a big problem. Items available in shops also can be changed by setting probabilites.

Third on my list is weather. You'll see rain and snow more often, corresponding with the time of year.

Now that will be the easiest part I think. It's just a matter of few good scripts and some mission template triggers. You'll also have to take a look into skyboxes and add some new, since in Native there's no clouded skyboxes for dusk/dawn and night. Rain falling out of the clear sky looks kinda stupid. :wink:

I'm including all of the things listed below: (And have permission on just about all of them.)
-Polished Landscapes Test version by gutekfiutek as well as Darker Corners minimod, also by gute

This will be a hell of a work if you want it to look OK. I know, cause I'm doing the same for my mod (though I don't use tree clusters, I cut them into single trees to not have big performance hit and I'm adding collision meshes, so thats even more work). A lot of scenes will have to be edited and corrected.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Yeah big project here aha
POP dev forum talked about it before too the era changes but idk.

As to the other stuff nice idk much about modding but it sure seems like a very long term project good luck.

Back
Top Bottom