SP Fantasy [WB] The Veiled Stars | the Lord of the Rings [WIP] + Theoden's Armour p411

Should Hornburg be a castle or a town?

• Town

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Castle

Votes: 90 48.1%
  • Town, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Castle, but call it Helm's Deep instead.

Votes: 45 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Wait, the Hobbit was a great movie? What? I absolutely hated the first one, and the second was Thor/Iron Man level, which is still really bad for a LOTR movie.

Yeah, happy new year  :mrgreen:

Now back to the topic :razz: ( about Hobbit movies). Hmmm, I guess that older fans of Tolkien ( those who were his fans before release of LOTR trilogy by Peter Jackson) do not like PJ very much and disagree with his changes in adaptations...
But I ( speaking in the name of younger fans), to be honest, got in love ( and first time heard for) Middle earth when I was about ten years old ( now I'm 17), when watched Fellowship of the Ring for the first time. Since then, I watched those films like hundred times and I never got bored watching them :smile: .
After I fall in love with that world, I have read the books, and ( I was still a kid then) didn't got quite much, that deep story told by Tolkien ( at first, I was shocked about age of those guys, how one Frodo who look like a teenager in movie can be 50+ years old :razz: ), and I was not so impressed by the books.
Of course, I was more and more interested in them after some time, and I have read them ( honestly) about three times since then, but I am quite often searching some informations about Middle earth ( and a whole Arda) on internet ( that's the also way I learn a lot about history, especially 'bout Romans, hhh :wink: )...
Soo, I am a huge fan of both Peter Jackson and J.R.R. Tolkien, so I do not like when somebody is angry at films, because they are just making Middle earth to come alive :grin: ( one of major reasons why I so much love films are that amazing landscapes of New Zealand *__*).

A wall of text, I know ( but do not care, sue me  :mrgreen: ), HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS  :smile:

yes the books were good the films were massively better. although i feel that the first part of the hobbit was a bit slow although it was setting the scene. i fear that in the last film they will keep to the books description of the battle of the five armies which be be a huge disappointment even though they made three films out off a hundred pages or so which is amazing when you think about it.
i think the whole last film will be the battle of the five armies although i have my doubts seeing that they already changed and added parts eg the she elf tauriel and legolas being in it although apparently in the appendices of the return of the king ive heard i states that legolas was in the hobbit and the hobbit was rewritten and edited many times by Tolkien during his life time so who knows. yer films rule books OK but not as good (although the dwarven Armour for the axemen of erebor as a mod for medieval 2 calls them looks amazing go peter jackson

In my eyes the books beat the movie/tvshow adaptations, not only in lotr but in just about everything. The books usually go into so much more detail about stuff and the adaptations miss things that can be pretty important into how characters get to where they are, why they react in certain ways etc. The further you go from the source material the more you have to make up to remedy any important things you missed out, which then snowballs itself out of control.

Of course you can not :smile: .
The only thing I do not like about films is that they expanded some characters in that way they replace them with some awesome book characters ( e.g. Arwen with Glorfindel  :roll:, Eomer with Erkenbrand  :neutral: ... ).
But some changes were pretty good, and that must admit all of you Tolkien purists, the film would suck without that deeper personalisation of Dwarves ( correct me if I am wrong, but in books there are just Thorin, Balin and Fili&Kili who have solo parts, all others were just there for having that number)...

And, did you heard that awesome closing song, I See Fire, from Ed Sheeran, I bristled listening to this, not moving for whole 5 minutes ( in Desolation of Smaug :smile:

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
Of course you can not :smile: .
The only thing I do not like about films is that they expanded some characters in that way they replace them with some awesome book characters ( e.g. Arwen with Glorfindel  :roll:, Eomer with Erkenbrand  :neutral: ... ).
But some changes were pretty good, and that must admit all of you Tolkien purists, the film would suck without that deeper personalisation of Dwarves ( correct me if I am wrong, but in books there are just Thorin, Balin and Fili&Kili who have solo parts, all others were just there for having that number)...

And, did you heard that awesome closing song, I See Fire, from Ed Sheeran, I bristled listening to this, not moving for whole 5 minutes ( in Desolation of Smaug :smile:

But i think LOTR and Hobbit movies are predominately for people who have not read the books. i think 75% of the people seeing the movies didnt read the books like me. Think from their perspective.. the movie is a big fat 9+ at least. but i think people whove read the books complain to much about the accuracy. if you wanted the book's  side of the story you should read it again, and if you want the cool 'action' orientated part of the movie just sit back and enjoy the 3 hour ride right.. I think that is how Peter Jackson wanted it to be. And im glad he directed all the movies.

Just hope that afther the hobbit they continue with more stories from the SIlmarrion. :smile:

The book is better than the film. I do think the hobbit movies were tooo long but they are still pretty good, but no where near the LotR movies. Also for the mod, I was thinking of the multiplayer. Instead of making it tdm and battle and the regular multi, can you make it Persistent Worlds style Multiplayer, with mass Roleplay on middle earth?

NoobLord said:
Jarvy stated he won't do that since he hates PW.
To be honest, I totally agree with that :razz:

People who came on at reset get the best stuff and just tax and kill peasants and there's no way to avoid it. It's a bit better in Persistent Frontier, but I think a LOTR version of PW would end in the same kill-the-peasants bull****.

Which is extremely sad we can't have a mature community that can actually rp and not just rob and do the biggest bull**** ever.  :cry:  Well its just a thought, shame we can't do it.

Odyseuss said:
NoobLord said:
Jarvy stated he won't do that since he hates PW.
To be honest, I totally agree with that :razz:

People who came on at reset get the best stuff and just tax and kill peasants and there's no way to avoid it. It's a bit better in Persistent Frontier, but I think a LOTR version of PW would end in the same kill-the-peasants bull****.

PW was brilliant until v4. Playing in v3 was among my favorite gaming experiences.

Must agree. v3 up to v3.5 was amazing. The servers were good (primarily RCC), the people roleplayed and every single system was better in it. v4 is terrible as is most of the community. Old/New RCC is broken up into Nexus and a bunch of us who play games together.

Anyway, not the time or place to reminisce so back on the topic of TVS please.

Back
Top Bottom